Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone using a Camelbak insulated mug/flask?
  • Bez

Anyone using any of these?
    – Forge
    – Hot Cap
    – Chute Mag
    – Kickbak

I’m wondering which of the caps works best in terms of being easy to use and drink from, being leakproof when being carried, etc.

Mostly I need it for sitting at a desk, where an added bonus would be automatic self-closure so that if it gets knocked over it doesn’t start killing laptops; but that’s not a deal breaker. Needs to be able to fit under your average high street coffee machine.

Currently I have a 12oz rCup, which works fine for the first half of the drink and then gobs coffee out across the side of your face and down your shirt. I’ve had enough of that, and it can do one. Not sure if the Hot Cap might suffer from a similar problem…?

ahsat

I use the hot cap. For me it being leakproof was a number 1 priority as I use it when I’m not in the office (on trains etc). It is a bit of a fiddly lid in that you have the unscrew it (not auto close) and it can dribble when drinking it if not careful. It certainly doesn’t leak when in my bag and keep drinks very hot (maybe a bit too much as it takes me ages to drink it). Not sure I’d bother with it at a desk – I just use a mug (though with the lid off this is heading in that direction).

nealglover
    Free Member

I tried loads and ended up with a Tefal one. It’s awesome and does all the things you want (apart from auto close) but I tend to click it closed as I put it down automatically.

Stays warm for longer than they say actually, and totally leak proof dropped into a bag.
    Easy to drink from with no spills at all.

lunge

I use a forge and see no reason to change. Had it years, it seems indestructible!

I’ve got a Forge (I think). Seals pretty well, keeps hot for a few hours.

Sometimes wish the flow was a tad more

fasthaggis

UseContigo flasks,don’t leak,easy to clean and stay hot (sometimes too hot) for ages.

Pyro

Got two Forge mugs – They’re very good.

Crag
    Free Member

Got a Forge and pretty much what TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR says.

doom_mountain

Yep, Forge here as well. They’re so good, I’ve just bought a second.

It’s the ‘thermal mug of choice’ at work.

The best thing about it is the self sealing, means I can drink (tea) safely whilst driving.

Tiger6791

My god!!!!!

I’ve been wrong for 43 years

It’s t’fal! I’ve always though it was Tea-fal as in Tea-fal boffins but no it’s t’fal

Mind blown!

Bez

No spillage issues on the Forge, then, even when downing the last bits of coffee? I was bit bothered by reviews like “it requires a specific technique to avoid spilling excess drops of coffee on my upper lip”.

Top of my checklist is “must not throw coffee over me” and it kind of looks like the coffee comes out into an open spout and then makes its way inside your face; which is better than the rCup (which has no spout to speak of, hence pissing out the sides) but still seems like you’re relying on the liquid taking a smooth path down the spout in between the lid and your mouth… if you see what I mean. Or am I mistaken?

No coffee trying to escape all over your face issues that I’ve found

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’ve got two camelbak forge. One insulated and one not.

They don’t leak when drinking (ever) but as there is no lock on the lever that releases the plug it can mean if you leave it in a bag and it falls over the lever can get pressed. Not an issue if you have a bag with good bottle storage but I’ve spilled inside a random backpack when the bag fell over

That being said highly recommended.

maccruiskeen

Jason
    Free Member

Another Forge user here. Very happy with it, no leakage issues and keeps drinks hot for a long time. Also seems robust to stand up to being thrown about. I am currently on crutches and have found the Forge handy for carrying drinks in as I can carry it with one finger (not a requirement for everyone!) so being used lots at the moment.

It doesn’t fit under some of the automatic coffee machines you get in shops, Greggs for example. Obviously it is fine in any hand prepared coffee.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve a Forge and two things to watch out for: if you overfill it will dribble a bit and if you put hot in, beware when you open the spout jobbie cos it can self pressurise. It’s not a geyser but a little pffftt of hot coffee/tea which is a surprise the first time…

TiRed

Forge is excellent. Everyone in the family now had one. In their wisdom, camelback have discontinued it. So buy now or never.

I always fill and give it a shake then relieve the pressure. It does spurt. Oh and check the plunger is sealed not flipped up before putting in sports bag and driving two hours. Warm but wet kit, or so I’ve errrr heard. 😗

oldtennisshoes

Another satisfied Forge user here.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Got a forge a few weeks ago. Very impressed. Keeps coffee nice and hot. Can chuck it on the seat of the van or in a bag without worrying about leaking. Less than £15 from Go Outdoors for the 12oz version.

welshfarmer

I have a Forge. It is OK but doesn’t stay hot for that long, say 3-4 hours tops (well not when conpared to my Thermos mug which is still hot after 8 hours or more). I’m not complaining mind as I found it in the middle of one of my fields!

csb

Got both a forge and a contigo like this https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Contigo-Pinnacle-Thermal-Mug/p/Pr319250001

Both seem totally leakproof. The contigo keeps liquid much hotter and is nicer to drink from. Contigo does the alarming steam geyzer thing on first release which can burn if not careful. I’d buy the contigo again.

Bez

Right, thanks all. I’ve taken a cautious punt on the Forge (the earlier all-steel model, which reviews seem to suggest is better other than the lid being prone to cracking) and if I still manage to end up with coffee on my shirt I’m going to hunt you all down and send you the laundry bill. And then try the Contigo.

3-4 hours of keeping warm will be more than enough; the rCup won’t even manage an hour, so it’ll be a good step up. If it can keep coffee warm for my 2-hour commute then it’ll pay for itself in a few weeks 🙂

Cheers

CountZero

I bought a Wilko’s version of the Chilly bottle things after reading a thread about them on here, and I’m very impressed with it. Seals well, easy to drink from, keeps my tea hot enough for roughly eight hours, and it cost £5.
    I’ll get another one for cold drinks during the warmer months.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Forge here. Make sure you get the insulated (full metal) version, as it keeps things warm probably 2x as long as the ‘half-plastic’ one my mrs has.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Camelbak insulated mug/flask?’ is closed to new replies.