Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anyone using a 135mm front hub & 'normal' width rim as their front wheel?
  • OCB
    Free Member

Just curious …

I’m starting to shortlist stuff for my next build, which’ll be a fully rigid, geared, 29er (sometimes on drops, sometimes on H-bars). Dunno where in the current cycling taxonomy it’d go, but I guess it’s maybe just a good ole’ fashioned ‘mountain bike’ (err, of sorts … 😉 ).

The curious bit comes with me thinking about using the Surly Enabler fork … I won’t be running a fatbike tyre up-front [yet], but the option to do so might be useful down the line – an’ using a 135mm front end now, would save mucking about later.

Initial build will be something like the Surly 135mm front hub and probably a Crest rim (or similar), but running 2.2 – 2.4’s (and the the same rim/tyre on the back).

I can’t see any real disadvantages to this, other than maybe a tiny bit more flex in the wheel from the slightly longer spokes … but was wondering if anyone else is doing anything similar and might have anything to share.

Equally, feel free to pitch in with any subjective / informed views on the ridiculousness / genius of it all. 😛

TheBrick
    Free Member

Running a single speed rear hub will mean you will have a really good bracing angle a symmetrical wheel. Both of these things will result in a stronger wheel!

Down sides

1. more weight.
    2. Can’t run a front dyno hub. (not impotant ot many)
    3. Can’t fit sus fork without building a new front wheel.

Can’t think of anything else off the top of my head.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a 135mm front hub & 'normal' width rim as their front wheel?’ is closed to new replies.