Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone used these disc brake adaptors? (Battered retro neon Zaskar content)
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’ve got a battered old Zaskar LE, guessing around 94-96ish, and found a company which makes disc adaptors which you can drill / bolt onto the dropout (Clicky) – has anyone fitted one of these before – are they likely to break the frame / rip out etc?

This sold ebay listing seems to have one fitted – eBay Zaskar

Pics of a garish 90s neon yellow Zaskar LE below

Thanks in advance

joebristol

I’ve not used the one you mention – but if it’s specifically designed for the Frame and is decent then the price looks good.

I used one of the below converters on a random hardtail frame I had and it worked perfectly. With the torque arm to the v brake boss in my view it was a better solution then the a2z one or the cheap eBay types that looked flimsy.

https://www.rockandrollbikes.com/tensile-disc-brake-frame-adapter.html#

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks Joe – yeah I’ve seen those before but they never seem to be in stock anywhere?

I’ve used an A2Z one on another frame – once it’s fitted it’s fine, but there’s a lot of fiddling to get it straight, and it had to be removed to fix punctures.

joebristol

Ah ok, I bought mine a few years ago and have sold it since as I went from 26er to 650b with disc mounts etc. Maybe worth emailing the company to see if they still make them or not. If you screw the adapter into the dropout then it’s easy when you take a wheel off still. I used mine without drilling it so it was a little more fiddly.

Looking at that other Zaskar it looked like it effectively had 2 nuts welded onto the back of the dropout which seems a good solution but a bit more tricky to achieve on an aluminium frame.

Pickers

I used an A2Z adapter on my Zaskar – a 1996 frame that I still have. The A2Z fitting almost looked as though it was designed to fit the Zaskar, it just went on and fitted perfectly! It was a bit of a pain getting the wheel out if needed, the QR skewer had to come out, but the adapter itself didn’t need to on that frame.
    Zaskar frames were built like a brick outhouse, the brake was going nowhere!

sillysilly
    Free Member

I’m using the A2Z adaptor with a retro Zaskar. Works a treat on an 18″ frame – no need to remove it to fix puncture (A bit of a wrestle but it can be done). Does take about a day of fiddling to get right angles / decent performance though. 20 yr difference between frame and brakes!

nickjb
    Free Member

If you can find an old specialized adaptor they are the best IMO. Should fit that frame. Once fitted you can still use the drop out as normal so taking the wheel out isn’t a faff like some brackets. I had one on my old spesh for years and it was fine. Trouble is they are hard to find now.

pictonroad

As above, A2Z fit absolutely perfectly on Zaskars, like they were designed for them, only concession is the nut has to come off the skewer to take the wheel out. Had a 96 Zaskar from new (should never have sold it).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used these disc brake adaptors? (Battered retro neon Zaskar content)’ is closed to new replies.