Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone used the Sombrio flat shoes?
  • thepurist

I’ve been scouting round the web but either my googling skills are rubbish or there isn’t much in the way of real world experience about them(*) – anyone tried them? I’m probably down to them or the vans when my AM40s finally get beyond the point of (another) repair.

(*) Yes I’ve seen the issue 71 review

flyingmonkeycorps

Nope, but I just picked up a pair of Teva Pinners with free flip flops for £42, though I’ve not ridden them yet. Will report back post weekend…

DezB
    Free Member

I think they are too new for much real world experience to be out there.
    Needs people like you to try them and report 😉

honourablegeorge

flyingmonkeycorps – Member

Nope, but I just picked up a pair of Teva Pinners with free flip flops for £42, though I’ve not ridden them yet. Will report back post weekend…

From where???

honourablegeorge

Damn, found it, UK shipping only.

Those mush flip flops are a personal favourite.

flyingmonkeycorps

http://www.nevisport.com/pr/4851/pinner-mens for anyone else who’s interested. I’ve heard good things about the flip flops too!

honourablegeorge

I have the flip flops, and the Links shoe – highly recommend both.

thepurist

Gotta love STW 😀 Thanks for all the tips about the Tevas. Now, anyone tried the Sombrios or do I have to be DezB’s crash test dummy?

flyingmonkeycorps

Sorry, I realise that probably wasn’t much help. No experience with the Sombrios I’m afraid, I think you might have to be the test hamster!

jedi

i havent heard or seen anyone with teva or sombrios

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Quite fancy the Sombrios but not sure its because they just look like nice shoes or not – need to consider how well they’ll hold up as riding shoes. My Shimano AMs have lasted about 4 years but have finally reached retirement age.

Those Tevas look great vfm though. Especially with free sandals!

thepurist

Well CRC had chopped a few quid off them in their ‘sale’ so I’ve taken the plunge. Crash test dummy report coming soon.

ART

Indeed they have … reports please! 🙂

thepurist

Crash test dummy reporting in.

I ordered a pair last Mon & CRC eventually saw fit to dispatch them on Thurs (arrived Fri), then I couldn’t ride over the weekend so this morning was the first chance to give them a go.

I went for the Shazam model with the lace cover flap as that adds to the weatherproofing, and the ‘Charcoal’ option which is acually more of a blue than a grey. Sizing seems OK – I got my normal shoe size and surprisingly enough they fit. Side by side with my old AM40s the ankle protection is about the same height, but the outside ankle is the same height rather than being lower as on the Shimanos. The sole wraps up evenly & is stitched in place, and peeking inside the bottom insole is also stiched in – the rubbery footbed obviously comes out. Also while both shoes use velcro type fixings on the lace cover the Sombrios have the hooky bit on the shoe & fluffy bit on the flap whereas the Shimanos were the other way round. Not sure if that will mean that more debris sticks in to the exposed bit around the edge of the flap, only time will tell. Aesthetically they probably give out a whiff of ‘bike geek’ but I can live with that – they’ll get covered in muck soon enough.

In use they felt stiff enough for me – I used the stiffer insert in the AM40s and there’s not much between the two. There’s still enough feel to know where the pedal is under your foot, but not skate-shoe like sensitivity to feel the pins. Grip seemed to be plenty good enough for me, obviously better than an old pair of AM40s. While riding I could just about do small re-alignments without lifting the shoe off the pedal.

They feel a bit less ventilated than the Shimanos – looking at them side by side there are obviously fewer holes in the uppers. So if you suffer from hot feet that may be something to consider – obviously that might also mean warmer/dryer feet in the winter but that’s a way off yet.

So first impressions are favourable – they might make for an all-weathers flat shoe that actually lasts. I couldn’t be bothered to go looking for puddles to ride through today but I reckon my chance will come soon enough.

ART

Finally got round to looking back. Excellent work thepurist… STW reviewers take note 😉

Annoyingly CRC discounted these to £60 the other day but the price has bounced back up to £90. [settles back in for next round of ‘offers’]

SteSi
    Free Member

Thanks for the review! I’ve been waiting for some real world info on these for a while… It’s between the sombrio x-loam and vans gravel for my next shoe.

Have you ever used five tens? How does the grip compare?

thepurist

Nope, never used five tens so can’t compare the gip. On the upside the recent wet weather has shown that they can handle a bit of mud & slop quite well too – same sort of weather proofing as the AMs,

thebarn
    Free Member

I know this is an old thread but thought i would let you know that the sombrio x-shazam are now on CRC for £45, i think it would be rude not to 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used the Sombrio flat shoes?’ is closed to new replies.