• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone used reclaimed sleepers in their garden?
  • spooky_b329

I have the choice of reclaimed 10″ x 5″ sleepers or new oak 8″ x 4″ untreated sleepers for a 1 metre high retaining wall.

I’m leaning towards the reclaimed ones, has anyone put them in and then regretted it due to the creosote/tar, or had them weep in hot weather? My issue with the new ones is that they are not treated, (not looked into tanalised ones) and also that they are a fair bit smaller and shorter.

Although its a wall, its bound to get sat on occasionally as its about the right height.

AndyRT
    Free Member

A mate has some reclaimed ones, and 6 years later they still weep tar in the summer. At least you’d never have to creosote them.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would go for the new ones personally. The used ones in my old garden were horrible, every time you went near them you ended up covered in cack.

spooky_b329

Ha, two comments and I think thats my decision made!

theotherjonv

I’ll save the effort of pasting my comment, just consider it 3 against now.

tymbian
    Free Member

Its not just the weeping of the blackstuff that’s nasty ( sticky black stuff is the least of your worries ) its the carcinogenic gasses given off by old railway sleepers that is the real nasty stuff.

read this please.

dannyh
    Free Member

Used them to border a mini patio with the kids playhouse. No problem with resin or anything, but cutting them by hand with bow saw is not something I’ll forget in a hurry 😳

br
    Free Member

And with the reclaimed ones you’ve got to be careful when cutting, often full of crap/metalic stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used reclaimed sleepers in their garden?’ is closed to new replies.