Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone used invisi frame?
  • mattyfez

As title really, what are your thoughts?

Just bought a new frame and plan to swap all the bits over from current bike. There looks already to be some sort of strategic frame protection on it in certain places but it looks very thin. I’d like more coverage, my current top tube has some paint chips from general mishandling, crashes etc.
    So I’m tempted to get some extra protection on the frame before I build the bike up.

Invisi frame kits cost a few quid so I think if I do that I’ll probably just pay a bit more for it to be fitted by Lbs who’s a supplier /fitter of invisi frame anyway.

What are people’s general thoughts do you still need additional protection for cable rub areas?

The frames more a satin semi metallic paint job so was thinking the satin rather than the gloss shiney stuff would be better?

Thanks

andysredmini
    Free Member

It’s well worth the money and looks so much better than bodging it with home cut tape. My frame still looks like new after 2 years and nothing has peeled or lifted.

vincienup
    Free Member

I have Invisiframe on three bikes now. The first was fitted by Invisiframe themselves (frame shipped directly to them then posted on to me afterwards). The second two frames and a couple of sets of forks have all been self applied by me.

It’s good stuff *if* you have a brand new and perfect frame to apply it to. I don’t begrudge the cost of it for a new frame, but for one that already has the odd scuff I’d go with something like just patching the usual spots with something like AMS Honeycomb.

Invisiframe doesn’t need additional protection for cable rub, and a lot of surface damage to the film will polish out if so inclined. You still want something along the lines of amalgamating tape/inner tube/neoprene thingy on chainstay and may want something like a rock guard on the DT/BB area depending how rough a life you plan to give the bike and how serious you are about protecting it’s finish (‘very’ is assumed if you’re contemplating dropping £75 on tape protection).

I’ve got the matte Invisiframe on my two HT’s, as one was matte PC and the other matte paint. It looks good although there is a very slight sheen to it against dead matte paint. You need to be looking for it, though.

Application isn’t actually that hard to get right if you follow the instructions properly and have the patience to build a wheel well. If spending a couple of hours of concentration the first time you try it in isolation with a squirt bottle of dilute baby shampoo and a squeegee doesn’t sound like you, then let someone else do it. 🙂

One thing I would say: Once applied be very careful not to try and clamp areas covered in it directly if putting the bike in a stand (you shouldn’t anyway, but most people do from time to time) – if the frame moves while it’s in the clamp you’ll wrinkle the film and it’ll be an absolute sod to try to straighten back out if it does properly. That applies to all tapes though apart from the very heaviest like the AMS Honeycomb which is thick enough to measure in mm not microns…

chakaping
    Free Member

Two thumbs up from me, if you have a nice frame.

nickclift
    Free Member

+1 for what vincie says,…. Patience is the key, don’t worry too much about soaking both sides of the sheets with your water/baby shampoo solution, I commandeered the wife’s little hand sprayer she uses for ironing duties. Plenty of wet, then gently slide into position. I did the Spitfire last year, it’s shrugged off scrapes that would have normally scratched the frame. I did find a few little air bubbles and should have probably spent a bit more time with the squegee. In summary, 5 Stars from me.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d pay the shop to do it TBH, unless you are super-meticulous.

I have the patience of a 5yr old. It didn’t end well for me. If I get another nice frame, they will be fitting it for me

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Two frames done with it here, take you time and follow the instructions. Great stuff.

gkeeffe

Hi did it myself in an hour. Quite easy really, I was so worried beforehand. It was a new frame, I think it would be more difficult on an old one.

mattyfez

Thanks all, yeh it’s a brand new frame, not built up yet so probably worth doing I think.

My current frame is about 3 yrs old and is covered in chips which don’t look too obvious as the paint job is kind of silvery light grey, but the new one is very dark grey with blue and white graphics so it would look tatty more easily I think.

Question no is do I have a go fitting it myself or get someone to fit it,think i could do it if I take time, that said I’m on holiday for a week in June so the temptation is to put it into the Lbs to do then!

DickBarton

Got it on my bike…take time applying it and it lasts well, also makes washing the bike seem easier…
    Not had any issues with the clamping scenario but I did manage to put my bike down against a sandstone rock and it scraped/removed the invisiframe and the paint on my frame…so I think it works very well indeed with just a cautionary note on making sure you don’t ‘drag’ your bike over a sandstone rock (that makes sense for anything really!).

Replaced invisiframe piece after I’d repainted the scrape…still in place now.

2 years old now and still looking excellent so I’d say it on very good stuff.

DickBarton

Fitting is easy but takes time…spray the film and lay it down then use the scraper to remove excess water and air bubbles…then leave to dry overnight.

mattyfez

There’s some tape on it already but only covering half the underside of the down tube and some on the chain side chain stay, so probably pull this off?

pictonroad

I did my own invisiframe on a new bike. It was a pain in the arse to do but feasible for anyone with patience. You need to be alone and in a clean place.

I peeled all the factory tape off before starting.

Might get one of the Effeto packs for the downtube, it’s seriously thick, mate has it on and it’s pretty much rock proof. (Caveats apply etc…)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used invisi frame?’ is closed to new replies.