Anyone used Evans for wheel building

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone used Evans for wheel building

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone used Evans for wheel building
  • Jezkidd

I fancy getting my pro 3 hubs taken off their dt 4.2’s and onto some stans alpines. I’ve seen on Evans web page for their Milton Keynes shop that they do a wheel for £30 including spokes. Anyone got any had an experience with them?
    Ta, jez

Premier Icon boltonjon
    Subscriber

If you don’t mind spotty YTS teenagers building your wheels….

hh45

Why risk something so important to that lot?? Use a proper wheel builder surely. Evans are fine if you want to buy an inner tube or something (you may need to explain the difference between Presta and Schrader) but wheel building, no way, at any price.

rwc03

Send off to Merlin maybe?

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Fair enough i work for the company but ive had our mechanics build me some excellent wheels, go in and have a chat if youre worried about it.
    Presta is the thin one, right?

frazchops

I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a better price, all mechanics in Evans are Cytech qualified (Grade 1 and above). I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

…yes I work for Evans

“that lot” chortle etc…

willber

i had some wheels built by evans (chill factor- trafford) about 3 years ago – could not fault the quality. Very true and radially spot on. I was genuinely very impressed and would use them again. I think the mechanic was called Alan and I beleive he’s still there.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

One of their guys built the wheels for my Jones. Cracking job, only a rim ding or 2 in over 1500 miles of loaded off road tours plus other rides last yr.

bent udder

I remember going into the one just off Oxford Street a few years ago in the offchance that they might have an MA4 or similar I could build onto a spare MTB front hub I had lying around for a hack bike. I was told in no uncertain terms that it would never work and I should buy a nice pair of Ksyriums instead.

Talk to the mechanic and see whether they’re any good. As with any shop, staff can be variable, so ensure you’re completely confident in their abilities.

cynic-al

jameso – rim ding will have nowt to do with the build

As for “should I buy my wheels from Evans”, it depends on the individual mechanic that builds it.

Joe

Will completely depend on the individual builder won’t it.

Some evans will have shit mechanics, some good.

Why not chat to the head mechanic at your branch and see if you fancy a go with him.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

jameso – rim ding will have nowt to do with the build

As for “should I buy my wheels from Evans”, it depends on the individual mechanic that builds it.

I know Al, just a comment on w+t / damage over the use period. And it does depend on who built them, totally. My post was just a flipside to the predictable ‘yts teens’ type of comment above.

Premier Icon boltonjon
    Subscriber

Apologies for the ‘YTS Teens’ comment above

However, my experiences of Evans have been during 3 visits and feedback from riding buddies

From my 3 visits, 2 or the 3 shop assistants knew a lot less about biking than me and 2 had very bad acne.

The 3rd guy was really good – but i couldn’t vouch for his mechanical skills

Would i have trusted him to build a wheel for me? hell no

The stories from riding pal are plain scary. One mate a Reverb fitted to his Zesty. He picked his bike up, then came to meet me for a ride – he got his bike out of the car and the post wouldn’t go up or down.

Had the post been checked to see if it was properly bled? Clearly not

How much attention to detail do other things get? Brake mounts, brake bleeds, crack arms, pedals?

I’ve also looked at a bike straight out of Evans and the bike setting up was awful.

LBS everytime

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

jon, no need and I didn’t mean to single out your post. I don’t think any of those set-up issues should happen but I know a lot of really good staff there too. They have a lot of staff as well as the usual high st retailer’s turnover of staff, but I can’t think of a store manager or head mechanic in any store that I wouldn’t feel confident in with my own bike.

247cycleshop

their web site

Depends where you live.

George Halls Cycle Centre up in Market Harborough have 3 excellent wheel builders.

mike_p

Having done so once, I will never ever let any of my wheels near an Evans shop ever again. A broken spoke (black, double butted) was replaced with a silver plain guage one, and on the way home some of the other spokes started working loose. A trained monkey could have done a better job.

Of course I realise that not all Evans shops are equal, but if you have a choice why take the risk?

Pierre

If in doubt, always talk to the mechanic. Have a chat with the workshop manager; if he (/she) is not around, call back when they are. Talk through the wheel build. Evans train their mechanics well, sometimes their shop kids not so much. The workshop manager should be at least Cytech 2 trained and will be able to build wheels.

All the eye-rolling “that lot” cliche is tired and pointless. Some Evans branches are like individual LBSs, some are a little more like bike supermarkets. They’re all staffed by people. Go in and meet the people and judge for yourself.

Disclosure: yes, I have worked for Evans in the past. They’re big and popular for a reason. And sometimes there’s a reason for the abuse they get from forumites keen to tar an entire company with the same brush as one rubbish employee.

longj

Try them if you want just don’t expect any sensible response if it all goes wrong . When something I purchased from there broke after one weeks light use, they would not replace stating they did not know whether I had deliberately broken it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used Evans for wheel building’ is closed to new replies.