Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone used a burley coho trailer?
  • tjagain

As an ongoing part of my recovery I have ordered myself a Shand bahookie. Its going to be used for offroad touring round europe lasting months next summer as well as the usual day rides or short overnight trips

I like using trailers once the luggage gets to beyond the point that bikepacking bags will work. I prefer trailers to 4 panniers and for months of travel I want a bit of comfort seeing as I am getting old

I have a bob trailer but its a bit old now and also the axle mount rattles which annoys me. I like my bikes to be silent.

this is a money no object project and the burley looks like a good solution is a bit heavy so i am looking for real world experience of this particular trailer or indeed any other ideas for a rattle free trailer

thoughts? Ta

https://www.burley.com/product/coho-xc/

andy5390

No experience with any trailers, but the Topeak Journey looks quite sturdy, and a lot lighter. Available in thru axle flavours if needed as the TX version

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I’ve a coho xc – it becomes quieter once it’s reasonably well-loaded, but the shock is V basic and I think over-sprung. with not much in it’s pretty rattly.
    I’m also considering a longer trip next summer, either proper lightweight (bags) or loaded (coho), and I reckon with a ‘comfortable’ attitude to packing it’d be fairly quiet.
    The catch/release system seems good, as are the fold-down feet. Frustratingly the diameter of the tubes is slightly larger than the internal diameter of most bungee cords. I’ve not used it with a bolt-thru axle – you’d prob need to sort a fresh axle for your bike, unless Burley now offer a thru-axle compatible one.

tjagain

My shand will have a QR axle so thats no issue – but the QR axles are out of stock right now. I won’t actually need it until next spring

Hmmm – dinnae like you saying its rattly – its one of the things I want to avoid.

Rik
    Free Member

I have a brand new Tout Terrain Mule Plus that I would sell at a good price due to change of plan. Like the mule but with £100 worth of extras – the reviews call it the ultimate rear single wheel trailer

https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/parts-accessories/trailers/tout-terrain-mule-cargo-trailers/

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Rattly if there’s not much in there – rattle from the rear wheel bouncing and (I think) the hitch, rather than its overall construction if that makes sense – it’s pretty solid otherwise.

Any reason for the QR rear end? Having ridden with mine fairly well loaded, I’d be looking to get as much stiffness in the overall chassis as possible – there’s a fair bit of twist going on and a bolt-thru rear end is stiffer.

In terms of spares on the road, unless you’re going for a proper old fashioned 135mm QR back end, you’ll easier find 148x12mm replacement wheels/hubs IMO in Europe, and the performance benefits will be well worth it.

tjagain

Ta but no ta – I don’t want a seatpost hitch one – ruled out for a few different reasons

tjagain

Any reason for the QR rear end?

Yes

rohloff hub is best in 135 qr ( the other versions of it are the same shell with greater axle overhangs) and if I need to replace a wheel its the easiest to get a 135 qr rear wheel

the shand has swappable dropouts so I can change if I want but this is my forever bike for adventures so 135 QR is the best choice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used a burley coho trailer?’ is closed to new replies.