Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone use those super-thin poles with their tarp?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For bikepacking, I mean. The ones that are like 50g for a metre of shock-corded carbon in three sections.

I’m concerned they might be a bit too flexible. Also – do you have issues with them digging themselves into the ground? I’d probably 3D print a little foot for them.

convert

Never felt the need to go down that route.

Walking – I use my trekking poles.

Biking it’s my wheels (or mostly front wheel one end and bike on it’s forks with tarp over the handlebars the other).

Or between trees.

Spin
    Free Member

Also – do you have issues with them digging themselves into the ground?

I stick a rock under them or carry a couple of plastic drink bottle caps.

On some it’s also possible to drill a hole in a plastic bottle cap and thread the shock cord through so it’s permanently attached.

molgrips
    Free Member

I considered wheels, but poles give you more options I reckon and are a fair bit longer than the diameter of a 29 inch wheel. They might still come in handy mind.

convert

I think it depends on your tarp. My Rab one is small enough that actually the wheel is plenty. My trekking poles only just go short enough for me to work sensibly. I wouldn’t want any longer to make a stable shelter where weather does not ‘creep in’.

DavidB
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

i have the barebones poles – no issues with them digging in or otherwise

i started off like convert – wheels – then i used the whole bike …. then i caved and bought poles. just much better at the job and gives more pitch options and most importantly saved me having to piss about dismantling my bike.

scotroutes

Yes. Almost always. Never had any problems.

I’ve done the wheel/bike thing too – and that also works.

anagallis_arvensis

I got 16mm pole for my teepee tent which is quite thick but it’s 160cm long so wanted some strength. Not used it yet other than a quick go in the garden. Even with that thickness it weighs almost nothing.

scotroutes

I should say that, if you’re worried about the security of your bike overnight, using it as a tarp prop solves that issue.

My main reason for preferring a pole is for the added height/headroom when using a larger tarp. It makes the whole pitch more open and less tent-like (otherwise, just use a tent). I’m also very much into microtarps at the moment and a wheel or bike doesn’t really work with those.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there a weight for those barebones ones as they are a bit thicker than the other ones I saw.

tjagain

I have some 10mm x 700 mm bare bones ones. for what i want they are actually far stronger than needed they weigh 46 g apiece

the very thin ones are intended for use in hoops are they not so gain some of the strength from being bent and tensioned against fabric

Depending on length I might go for 8 mm

you can buy the CF tube in 1 m lengths to make your own if you wish – buy a short length of the next size down to make the inserts to join them together

scotroutes

I got a thinner pole when I bought my Lunar Solo – an Easton IIRC. I found it did flex somewhat and had one very uncomfortable night in a bit of a gale. The BB poles are much stiffer.

molgrips
    Free Member

buy a short length of the next size down to make the inserts to join them together

I’d 3D print them 🙂

convert

I’d 3D print them

I suspect you know your way around a 3d printer but I’ve found they don’t excel at this. To get them circular enough for accurate fit you have to print stood upright. You’ve then got a cross grain issue and not massively in sheer. I think if printing I’d be minded to get a bit of steel (welding rod is good for this, or an old 2mm drill bit ground/cut down to size) and glue into an off centre (so you can also put your bungee in there) hollow core in the print. TJ’s smaller CF tube insert would arguably be better.

Brainflex

I have adapted carbon fibre arrows for this purpose. Cheap connectors of ebay n a bit of time gave me exactly what I needed.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is s good shout, I might get some of those bare bones ones

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use those super-thin poles with their tarp?’ is closed to new replies.