Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Anyone use these with flat pedals?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member
    solamanda
    Free Member

No but for that money you might as well get 5:10’s, which are by far the grippiest shoe for flat pedals.

dropoff

Don’t get drawn into the hype, just get down to TK Max and get yourself a £20 pair of vans, they work great 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

tried that yesterday – sheffield tk maxx had **** all!

dropoff

Ah yes it can be a bit hit and miss 🙁

solamanda
    Free Member

Don’t get drawn into the hype

It’s not hype, why do atleast two thirds of dh riders use them? I bet you’ll say highrollers are hype too…

richc
    Free Member

5-10’s are a bit timmmmmay tho.

solamanda
    Free Member

Riding crappy push bikes down bits of mud is abit timmmmmmmay. ;o)

MrAgreeable

You’ve linked to the SPD ones so no, I wouldn’t use them with flat pedals, even though the soles look suitable. I had a set of the older 661 “skate-style” SPD shoes and even after taking the cleats out they were way too stiff to be much cop with flats.

dropoff

We can’t all afford 70 or 80 squid on a pair of riding shoes. And there is alot of “fashion” involved , which is why theres 5000 different colour combinations available 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve got them but only briefly tried them with flats on my gf’s bike. You don’t have to take the cleats out btw – to use the spd part you have to rip out a section of the sole. They are fairly stiff but not that stiff – I wear em to work when I am cycling in and can’t be arsed changing shoes.

Why are stiff shoes no good for flats?

solamanda
    Free Member

And there is alot of “fashion” involved

Err, no. They look awful but work perfectly. If you want ride on rough terrain and not slip a pedal, no matter how muddy your shoes are, they’re worth twice that.

julianwilson
    Free Member

i second the vans.

sputnik
    Free Member

If you want to ride on flats with 661’s then get the models with the ‘taki’ soles.
    Friend of mine uses a pair an loves em. Crc does one for not too much.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9512

coffeeking
    Free Member

I quite like vans too, but they look a bit odd on the bike without baggy jeans and a hoody.

MrAgreeable

Why are stiff shoes no good for flats?

It’s not so much the stiffness of the sole, more the hardness. If it’s too hard for pedals to dig in, then you slip off them pretty easily as soon as things get bumpy.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sputnik – how do those size up?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Can we just get a sticky that reads “For flat pedals – 5 10s”

AdamM
    Free Member

Those 661 shoes look good. Anyone got a pair and can advise on how they compare to, say, Specialized shoes for sizing?

adstick
    Free Member

World cup du racers also use 8 inch bikes with super tacky dual ply tyres, so obviously there’s no way you can ride a bike off road without those too…

Skate shoes or 661s will be fine, and as said aren’t as timmmmmeeeee 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ANYONE USED THE ONES LINKED AND CARE TO ADVISE OVER SIZING?

i know i am shouting but only way to get back ON TOPIC

sputnik
    Free Member

racing_ralph, my mate usualy wears a size 44 and he got the 661’s in 44.
    initialy he said they were a ‘bit’ snug, but after wearing them in ( a week in spain) he said they were a perfect fit.
    He is now on his second pair of the same. first pair lasted over a year.
    Taki soles are soft and grippy so does wear away faster than a hard sole.
    The same will go for the wear and tear on 5 tens though.

richc
    Free Member

We can’t all afford 70 or 80 squid on a pair of riding shoes. And there is alot of “fashion” involved

**** me, I’ve read everything now. Where do you live if you think 5-10s are fashionable, Uzbekistan or Hull?

dropoff

Somerset, we use wellies down ‘ere

andysandes
    Free Member

Van waffle grip used to be the best, but 5 10s are something else. Ask climbers!!

The 661 dont get good reviews and as some else pointed out they are around the same price.

As for the fashion angle, they’ve become ‘fashionable’ but mainly because they work. If they were cr** then I’m sure they would be in bargain bins everywhere as no one would have brought them for thier looks!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

element townend

my current shoe of choice.

sole is stiff by trainer standards, but nowhere near as stiff as a spd obviously. Only come away from the pedals twice, once because the pedals foze over, the second time becase i bounced straight off them over brakeing bumps, the soles have got grippier with use, but dont seem to be getting torn/wearing like softer shoes have done.

Downsides:
    -not cheep.
    -heel cup takes somegetting used to, or its worn in.

Upsides:
    +mud colour blends in well with real mud
    +dries quickly on the radiator, and a quick brish with a stiff yard scrubber gets rid of the dry mud.
    +they dont smell, no idea why, but they’s completley odour free so far, mght be the number of mydy rides though 🙂
    +£30 from TKMax in Reading.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve got some element travertines with *erhem*(rasta)*erhem* laces, because I’ve lost my beloved DG’s!!

I should point out that they did only cost a bargaintastic £19.99 from that TK place!

AlasdairMc

Leather waffle Vans for me. White, but only because they were the only leather ones in the sale in Schuh at the time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TK Maxx keep on having every size but mine! Grrrr.

They even had some lovely Hosoi Rising Sun waffles the other day. £20. Every size but mine, once again…..!

jedi

van s have grippy sole but are too soft for me.
    i like shoes that are stiff and quite grippy so i can manouver my feet about on the pedals

5-10’s should come with leg irons and a banardos collection box

dropoff

hi Jedi, there’s a motorbike shop in bristol that sell off Alpinestars moto X shoes and boots, theyre stiff but grippy and cheap 🙂

scaredypants

I bought some of those 661 shoes that sputnik linked

Didn’t like em at all (on V12s) didn’t feel very grippy. They have quite a flexy sole but really rigid edges, odd combo

Once spent a week in the alps riding in battered old reebok classic boots instead

(mind, I like softish, bendy soles – like 5-10s. they are almost too grippy sometimes but then I’m kack & don’t manoeuvre other than by accident)

bomberman
    Free Member

if youre going to buy those 661’s (not the taki ones) then you might as well buy any pair of skate trainers. skate trainers are made to have grippy soles and you can use your common sense about wether the pins will hold or not just by looking at them. The reason you need a bit of flex is that some flat pedals are concave. a good sturdy skate shoe will last a long time because they’re meant to be battered by grip tape on a skateboard so are usually triple layered around the toe and triple stitched to boot.

good brands are:

DC, DVS, adio, es, emerica – rollersnales online have a clearance sale on at the moment, have a look and see what you like..

unless you want the best grip possible (5:10s) then theres not going to be any difference between a pair of skate trainers and the 661 trainers

bomberman
    Free Member

and can i just add that i’ve got some shimano flat pedal shoes and theyre not as grippy as the trainers i got for 25 quid from tk maxx 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

5.10s really do look a little “special”.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL @ Jedi – “Leg irons” – that has just made my day!!!

Get down TK Maxx or check out shops like Cult Clothing or Rollersnakes – bet they have some reduced shoes which would be perfect – got my Etnies for £20 reduced from £60 – Result!!!

Rollersnakes shoe link

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    5.10s really do look a little “special”.

All relative though isnt it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

he is the epitome of kwl

TheSanityAssassin

Why wouldn’t you want the best shoe for the job, especially if the pricing isn’t too disimilar?

Those would be 5:10’s.

BTW what pedals are you using?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

The 661s are £30 the 510s are £70!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use these with flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.