• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by J-R.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone use rucksack to carry a dog…
  • jkomo

Or anything other solutions to carry a 10kg dog around. His legs are knackered and currently can’t walk anywhere himself.
    What about something with wheels as my wife has a bad back so she couldn’t use it? Looks a bit mental though with a pram.

kayak23

Is it all legs or just back?
    Poor thing.

If just back you can get harnesses with a rear handle that you can use to take some weight off for them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I once saw a guy at the Ferry terminal on Arran with two massive fat rabbits in a silver Cross pram, feeding them bananas. 🤣

Get the auld yin a pram!

willard

No, but my girlfriend did use a sports bag to smuggle our cocker into her work a few months ago.

40l GoOutdoors duffel bag thing with his bed in the bottom, top flap about half closed and his head out and hidden under her arm.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Looks a bit mental though with a pram.

Our old dog is 10kg. He cannot walk very far these days, but needs to walk some distance so in order to get us both some exercise I suggested and bought us a dog-stroller/pram.

Practicality always wins for me. Most people stop and make cute faces. For a while I still felt obliged/self-conscious enough to pre-empt approaching public interactions with the ‘he’s old’ (almost apologetic) explanation. Then soon began to realise that I cared more about me and the old boy just getting around, and it being about our business/irrelevant to anyone else. He walks the last 1/4 mile now which is a long way off his old 2-3 mile walk. But it brightens his day to sniff his way around old familiar places and meet the familiar dogs, trees and people he’s gotten to know over the decades. I’m getting a 3 mile quick walk in too, which was dropping off before the stroller arrived

So yes, I quickly ‘got over myself’. As they say across the pond.

There are a few different styles of stroller, some more off roady, some three wheelers/jogger types. We mostly beat streets so a small-wheeled £50 job did the job. Purchased a used one first from local ads to see if he’d go for it, then wore it out and bought a new one. It has stowage compartment underneath for coat, water, bowl etc.Picnics were again possible!

Thought he’d hate it at first but he took to it immediately. It also comes in handy when I’m busy in the house, or if we’re at friends/family houses/pubs etc, as he tends to sit still in it and ‘watch’*/listen to what’s going on rather than stumbling about on the (usually slippery) floors (*is also very nearly blind now) and needing constant supervision. The dog stroller has saved our sanity, his sanity, and all of our legs. Even if you think we look ‘mental’ 😉

stingmered

Having seen a dog in a pram yesterday, I can confirm, it looks mental… 😉

jkomo

P7 which one do you have?
    Kayak, yeah it’s one back one front.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Having seen a dog in a pram yesterday, I can confirm, it looks mental

To be fair, we were once (verbally) attacked by a passing woman who was very keen to denounce our evil dog-cruelty/mentalism.

‘I’m sorry* but keeping a dog alive like that is just cruel. There I’ve said it. You should out him to sleep, you are just toting him around to serve yourself’.

This assumption really upset Mrs P as we had been back and forth with the vets on numerous times these last few years asking just that same question. The vet thinks we’re mad on account of our repeat asking. Two different vets say P-dog is ‘just old and tired’. His heart and lungs and bloods are good. ‘He just has some arthritis and old dogs don’t always feel like walking/can’t walk as far’. They (vets) actually chortle/scoff when Mrs P has asked ‘is it time, I’d hate to think he’s unhappy’? They also approve highly of the stroller as a mobility/ life-aid.

* must say I didn’t detect her declared air of ‘sorry’.

We saw the same outspoken woman again a few months later and we were in more or less the same spot with the same stroller. P-dog was out of the stroller, walking well, mooching around, sniffing things. She looked at him, made a diversion and pretended not to see us. Silly old basket. You’d think that she would have been greatly pleased to be wrong in her prior assessment? Such was her care.

In two years she has been ‘the only one’. I find that most people are well-meaning, but some are best ignored. Ignorance often presents as supreme (sometimes aggressive) confidence.

You have to laugh though.

p7eaven
    Free Member

P7 which one do you have?

generic pet stroller

Our dog is bang on 10kg and I’d say that’s the upper limit for these. If I had the funds I’d buy something more sturdy/offroady like a three-wheeler to get him to his old favourite spot on the ridge way. Actually I could sell some bike spares bin stuff and get us that if he make it to spring! He’ll outlive me at this rate 🤣

I could always try him again in the bike cargo trailer, but he hated it and tried to escape 😳

properbikeco
    Free Member

strangely enough I’ve seen that too but it was a woman…. tourist attraction?

p7eaven
    Free Member

tourist attraction

Tourists are getting weirder! We bought ours from another family whose dog had since died. So I’m assuming there’s more than one out there 😉

Maybe should begin charging? Book a park corner/village hall and invite gawpers/cooers/detractors alike to pay a small fee to come and coo/berate. It could pay for itself!

Kuco

When I worked in the parks there use to be a woman who pushed a pram around with 2 cats in it. She use to talk to them as well as if they were little children.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I had an Innopet stroller and found it pretty good.
    Vet said it was a good idea.
    It was quite expensive but I sold it on eBay for not far off the purchase price.

I’m sorry though I’ve got to ask what is wrong with your dog and is getting a stroller/carrier the best thing? The reason I ask is because now with hindsight I can see it really wasn’t for my dog.
    Obviously I don’t know anything about your dog and it’s a pretty brutal question but I do wish someone had asked me that same question.

p7eaven
    Free Member

When I worked in the parks there use to be a woman who pushed a pram around with 2 cats in it. She use to talk to them as well as if they were little children.

This isn’t helping 🤣

Q: ‘My son is thinking about buying a bike because he can’t quite walk to the beach. Is a bike a good idea?’

A: ‘When I used to live by the beach there used to be a woman there on a bike with batteries sellotaped to her helmet and wires going to various led lights on her clothing. She used to sing and laugh to herself while riding along’

OP, suggest doing whatever is best for your dog, your wife and you.

Just remember, while many here agonise over the most correct and fashionable bikes/clothing/helmets/pedals/colours etc – to many (if not most) other Brits the sight of an adult on a bicycle is the sight of failure, immaturity, desperation, hilarity, sadness, idiocy, madness (some or all of the above).

So whatever nice thing one may do for a disabled dog, it’s possibly not seen by most as ‘mental’ or as ‘selfish’ as riding a bike.

Luckily I get to do both so am to many certifiably honourably Batshit In Britain (just on account of transport choices)

Wait – why not just drive the dog everywhere? No-one would blink an eye!

phil5556

A dog thread with no pictures??

I was going to say my mate has a trailer for his bike for his dog with little legs. But I’ve just checked and he doesn’t, he has one of those carriers that you strap on your front. He takes his Terrier for bike rides.

One of these

I did used to know a guy who put his Pugs in a bike trailer.

p7eaven
    Free Member

This blog post is worth a read, especially by potential (or actual) detractors/mockers.

https://mashable.com/article/dog-stroller-elderly-dog

jkomo

ThePilot, sure, vet thinks it’s general arthritis. Had X-rays last week though and it didn’t look too bad. On painkillers and glucosamine. He stopped the 3 mile daily walk last year, but this came on very suddenly, he just stopped walking. I was carrying him to his favourite poo spot, he would just lie on the sofa and nearly raise his head. All of a sudden, he started walking again for a couple of days, then stopped again we think after jumping up on the sofa and undoing all the good work. Two weeks later and he is pottering around a little, and sitting up more. I really just want to take him put in case he’s getting depressed say around all day.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Yeah, that was my thinking exactly. She took to it well and I wasn’t sure she would as she hated the bike trailer we had so it might be worth a go.
    It’s so hard when your dog gets old and like you say it can be so sudden.
    Anyhow, best of luck with it.

doubleu
    Free Member

K9 sport sack – https://www.k9sportsack.com/

Not cheap but it was the best solution for us. I have the ‘knavigate’ version for our 15kg cocker spaniel. Required a little training for our dog to get used to it but is absolutely great with it now.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate carries Stanley in one when he’s cycling but also takes him offroad on the trail bike.

271379253_1298707833944099_5556117938912207507_n
    But Stanley isn’t very heavy. 😁

andygreener

Innopet Sporty here for our 14.5 yo westie. Unsurprisingly Maddie isnt able to walk as far as she used to. Some weird looks and comments now and again but I dont really give a frick.

james-rennie

my girlfriend did use a sports bag to smuggle our cocker into her work a few months ago.

@willard
    I feel there is more to tell us. What work does she do?

J-R

About 10 years ago I was enjoying an iced coffee outside a bar near Bondi Beach when a woman turned up on a motorbike with a medium size dog in a harness on her back. After removing her helmet and shaking out her luscious locks (that bit might only be in my memory), she unclipped the harness put the dog on the pavement, clipped on a lead and strolled off down the street.

It was pretty much identical to the dog carrier shown in the pics from @phil5556 above, although the dog was a bit bigger.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use rucksack to carry a dog…’ is closed to new replies.