Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone use road parts on their mtbs to save weight?
  • DT78
    Free Member

As per the title really. For XC racing only. Tbh I might be too much of a heffer (80kg).

Was thinking saddles/stems etc…

geetee1972
    Free Member

You'll often see people using short cage road mechs on 4x and DH bikes. Nico Voilloz used a Dura Ace chainset with super close rings when he won the Mega a few years back. Waaaay back in the day John Tomac used to run a Yeti XC bike with drop handlebars so that he could get a bike position that was identicle to that of his road bike (he was racing for the 7-11 team at the time I think).

trail_rat
    Free Member

slr 135 saddle is a common sight

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GT, you mean this?

In a Cross Country race as well! 8)

doof_doof
    Free Member

On my old Yeti I used to run DA 10sp chain, DA front and rear mechs, DA 12-27 cassette, Thomson X2 stem, SLR saddle, Extralite post.

I'm over that phase now though 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

seat for weight saving on SS hard as can be but you almost never sit on the thing anyway

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The roadie stems I'm using on two of my bikes seem to be doing fine.. Even the 26.0 one that's shimmed down with 3 layers of Sainsburys lemonade can!

JoeNation
    Free Member

I've used some Dura Ace bar end shifters converted to thumbies, a Tune alloy seatpost (not strictly roadie but super light), Bontrager carbon drop bars on my Singular. Wouldn't hesitate to use some of my proper roadie stuff too (stems, seatposts, compact chainset, mechsetc). But then I'm not that tough on parts.

GW
    Free Member

not to save weight but have used road mechs on DH bikes for years (stronger, stiffer, more precise, lighter & cheaper – pick 5! 😉

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

^Same.

My Shimano Sora has one of the smallest profiles I've ever seen, no chance of trashing that on a rock! Whack a decent shifter on it and it's fine for DH racing.

westkipper
    Free Member

Remember, if you use a road stem, it HAS to be run in its natural state of minus 10 degrees (slammed of course, no spacers) to let the underlings know where it came from.
    Likewise, theres no point using a featherweight road post if you top it with your usual freeride DFS sofa.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Oops.. Mine are the wrong way up. Will I die?

westkipper
    Free Member

No, though perhaps you should die of embarassment. 🙂
    edit, sorry, if its your seatpost that you're running the wrong way up…
    …yeah, you could actually die from that -avoid jumps and drops!

radar
    Free Member

Dura Ace cassette and chain, coupled with xtr short arm mech. DA cassettes give closer range – 11-23, and have a much nicer (aesthetic) lockring and can be found a lot cheaper than XTR. DA 9 chains usually cheaper than XTR ones too

glenh
    Free Member

I use a road HTII BB, but that's nothing to do with weight. They are just much cheaper for some reason, despite being virtually identical.

njee20
    Free Member

There aren't that many 'road specific' parts, so no!

I used to use Toupe saddles on my MTBs, but they tend to snap, so I went for a Phenom, which also has the advantage of not snagging your shorts.

Used to use a road cassette, but you have to shift so much on the front that a decent 2×9 works better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Waaaay back in the day John Tomac used to run a Yeti XC bike with drop handlebars so that he could get a bike position that was identicle to that of his road bike

Yeah, mybe so, but that was John Tomac and he'd kick your ass on a kiddies tricycle. 8)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Used to use 105 or Ultegra rear mechs on the bike about 17 years ago. Still have the destroyed remains in the spares box, so no, not any more….

JamesP
    Free Member

Use 10 speed chains and currently a SRAM red front mech. Tried the same with the Specialized Toupe saddles but kept breaking off the nose piece so moved to a Phenom too. The 2010 Toupe looks promising though.

orena45

I've got a road Shimano HTII BB on my Scandal at the moment. Didn't intend to buy a roadie BB but it was the only Shimano HTII BB the LBS sell (and they sell a shed load of MTBs)! Was a bit dubious at the time but it's been fine over the winter.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

I swoped my crancs and casete and wheles and tires 4 rode wons peepul larf sumtimes but its wikid fast 4 ryding 2 scool and I can swop them bak 4 xroscuntry trales if I nede but I lik ridding dh nor so I nevar do that anymor totaly wikid 4 gone 2 scool fastar than trane
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5120249/marksfotos/3.jpg

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely its harder and slower to spell words like that ^^^ than type the words normally?
    Are you the internet equivalent of Steve Coogan? i.e. lots of different on stage personas?

bigyinn
    Free Member

This your other bike here mark?

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Yes thats my sispenshon bike it's got a punchur but I want a new bike so I can uss dick breaks lik my rode bike thru wont fit on tat won

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Mark. Picture 11.jpg is still there. Please please please remove it. For your own sake.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use road parts on their mtbs to save weight?’ is closed to new replies.