Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone use Paramo waterproof gear?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Will be needing a new waterproof coat at some point – for hill walking duties.
    Have it in my head that in must be Gore Tex Pro Shell as it seems to be the best new wonderful thing but it’s hideously expensive.
    I hear good things about Paramo. It works differently to membrane layered coats and doesn’t feel like it could possibly keep you dry but obviously it does.

Does anyone have first hand experience of Paramo?

Cheers

scotroutes

I bought a Paramo smock last winter after hearing and reading lots of good reviews. It’s the Velez Adventure Light. I used it for hillwalking throughout the winter.

It’s OK. I layered it with a thin fleece gilet and synthetic baselayer as that seemed to give me enough options. I found I got damp under it if I was putting in sufficient levels of exertion – much as a GoreTex or Event shell would. The side zips can help to adjust warmth and sweat levels much as works with a Buffalo smock.

The pocket on the front is great as a handwarmer.

The hood is really bulky when folded “away”. At first it annoyed me but then I got used to using it as a bit of a neckwarmer.

The sleeves feel really baggy and wide but they have to be like that so you can roll them up for cooling.

The overall fit is also a bit loose and baggy. It’s not that I have the wrong size (or that I’m a weird shape) that’s just how they are.

Summary – It’s OK. Nothing special. My 2-year old eVent breathes just as well, as does any GoreTex Active Shell and there are more choices of style and features with those materials.

angeldust
    Free Member

Yes, it does keep you dry, and works pretty well all round (as a hiking jacket).
    Very cold weather for me only though, as the pump liner provides some insulation (equivalent to a Gore-Tex jacket plus a thin fleece). I don’t think you will find much difference in pricing between equivalent Paramo and Gore-Tex jackets (in fact, Paramo might even be slightly more expensive).
    If you don’t go Paramo, consider Polartec Neoshell (Rab do a couple of nice jackets using this) rather than the latest Gore-Tex. I have one and it is the most breathable waterproof I’ve ever had. Difficult to directly compare it to a Paramo jacket due to the difference in warmth.

mark90
    Free Member

Yes, it does keep you dry, and works pretty well all round (as a hiking jacket).
    Very cold weather for me only though, as the pump liner provides some insulation

+1

Cold weather or low intensity walking (eg family walks), otherwise I find it too warm (but I do tend to be on the hot side and use minimal insulation, I ski in base layer and uninsulated shell). Mine’s the Alta II jacket.

timidwheeler

I would suggest Active Shell is better than Pro Shell for cycling. I have both and always ride in Active Shell. Pro Shell is excellent for climbing/scrambling as it is stronger but slightly less breathable.

Chainline
    Free Member

I use an adventure light all year except in summer, I have aspira for hillwalking.
    They are a bit warmer than just a shell, I just wear less under it as Ai find they breath better than gortex for a given insulation level.

Big benefits for me are…just reproof every now and en with nikwax and its back to as good as new…effectively never wears out, gortex or any other does with washing and use.

Repairs can be undertaken on any garment for a fixed price, colour matched…we have people with 20yr old jackets in the climbing club, rip an arm…no problem, send it off, £35 later…jacket like new.

In really really wet weather, they still keep you dry, again gortex can get overwhelmed.

If you do just snag it, sew it up and as long as its proofed, it stays waterproof due the way it works, unlike a membrane should the membrane get ripped.

Essentially, whilst not the most stylish attire, it is a long term investment and if used in horrible horrible conditions, you would be glad of it…there is a reason some of the most hardcore walkers/climbers swear by it.

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m not one of the hardcore by the way, I just like stuff that lasts…my paramo is 6yrs old now, as good as the day I bought it despite being used all year round.

footflaps

Repairs can be undertaken on any garment for a fixed price, colour matched…we have people with 20yr old jackets in the climbing club, rip an arm…no problem, send it off, £35 later…jacket like new.

I ripped an arm on my GTX North Face Expedition system jacket and TNF just replaced the whole arm for £25. Very impressed by their service.

andyh2
    Free Member

Very happy with a Paramo Quito jacket. Waist to elbow side zips provide plenty of ventilation to overcome any possible overheating. Lighter weight material than early Paramo jackets. Only thing I’m not so keen on is the hand pockets are accessed through the side ventilation zips.

slowjo
    Free Member

My Paramo jacket has to the best one I have ever bought. Warm and waterproof. Did I say warm? IME warmer than an equivalent weight Goretex. I don’t know why, but that is how it feels anyway.

tonyd

I’ve got a Velez smock and love it but it is a little warm. Great for really cold days but a family walk giving shoulder carries has me sweating.

I didn’t get the adventure one so the hood is detachable which I prefer as I only use it when it’s really tipping down.

tomd
    Free Member

I had a velez for years, I sold it last year after 8 years for £70. That’s how well they last!

In summary they are a bit marmite. They breath amazing well, but I always found it a bit warm for all but the mankiest cold wet winter weather. However, I would much rather spend a cold wet manky winter’s day in the hill wearing a paramo jacket than any other jacket. If you’re the sort of person that usually runs a bit cold a paramo jacket could be brilliant. It will also still be going strong when your goretext and event jackets have been long since retired.

Note; the liner on the newer ones is a lot thinner than the older jackets so they might be more versatile now.

mav12
    Free Member

velez. smock here very comfy no rustling easy to reproof and wash but as others have said very warm cold weather jackets really plenty on ebay the early velez with the detachable hood are heavier /warmer

loddrik
    Free Member

Have a Cuzco for biking and a Pasco for off it. The Pasco is a new model and a bit more contemporary in terms of design and fit. I love paramo but some of the range is a bit dull. The Pasco and Helki jackets are definitely more up to date.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yep. Love it. Not very stylish but it’s the ONLY waterproof I’m happy to wear when it’s not actually raining. So, so breathable and comfortable. Yes, it is warmer than a traditional shell jacket so I don’t tend to use it as a “just in case” stowaway jacket in summer. It’s great being able to wear something like this knowing it will keep you dry if it rains, rather than having it tucked in your rucksack waiting for the rain.

Highly recommended. I’ve even used mine for road cycling, albeit not in summer

johnellison
    Free Member

I have a Velez Light which I use most all year round except in summer. It’s probably the best outdoor jacket I’ve ever bought and I’ve had a few in my time. It’s four years old now and not looking remotely worn or lost any of it’s proofing. Wash twice a year in Nikwak Tech-Wash and you’re laughing.

As others have said, they’re a bit warm for layering except in the depths of winter, but there is plenty of ventilation options so it’s not a difficult job to regulate warmth.

chiefgrooveguru

Great functionally but too warm for me in most conditions on the bike and the cut is rather middle-aged rambler… Brilliant for walking in really filthy weather. This new model looks appealing, despite the name: http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYJACKETENDUROMENS

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    Seems there are fans and detractors alike – enough thumbs-ups to make me think of one as a contender though 🙂

spacemonkey

Bought an Altira jacket last winter. As others say above, Paramo gear tends to run warm but that’s no bad thing IMO if you’re a fan of layering anyway. Haven’t yet had to try it in proper torrential conditions but its coped admirably with everything below that.

ontor
    Free Member

The only stuff that copes with winter conditions on Dartmoor.

footflaps

I love paramo but some of the range is a bit dull. The Pasco and Helki jackets are definitely more up to date.

Similar to Buffalo kit, functional but looks very 70s.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Paramo waterproof gear?’ is closed to new replies.