Anyone use Hope Mono-Mini on their Enduro bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone use Hope Mono-Mini on their Enduro bike?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone use Hope Mono-Mini on their Enduro bike?
  • Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Why wouldn’t it?

mixmaster

Sorry I am trying to work out whether they are enough brake for my Alpine 160.

mindmap3

I’m not a fan of them on any bike!

gaz552

Shimano SLX brakes and never worry about them again? Other than checking pad wear.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Sorry I am trying to work out whether they are enough brake for my Alpine 160.

It seems that Mr MacAskill, Mr Barnes, Ms Barnes and Mr Martin can slow down well enough from warp speed 11 using them.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Eh, they use hope but I doubt they’re mono minis. On account of, they weren’t very good when they were new and that was in about 1960.

OP, with big rotors, they’ll probably be alright, most of the time. UK tracks tend not to be massively long. Going to depend a lot on you mind, how much you brake etc. But lots of better choices. But if you’ve already got the brakes you know how they work, right? They’ll be the same on an alpine.

mixmaster

If so does it stop? I’m trying to avoid having to buy new brakes!

mixmaster

So as not to start a new thread.

OP, with big rotors, they’ll probably be alright, most of the time

The Mono-Minis are ‘ok’… I had to change the front disc to a 183 as I now have a PM fork. I have a 160 on the back at the moment but the disc is finished.

I have a spare 180 disc and my question is can I use this? The Alpine160 is IS frame to PM caliper. On asking Hope they have said I need another 183 and new mount.

Can I use another manufacturers mount?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Honestly, Enduro is about going as fast as you can, underpowered brakes are an advantage.

balfa

I’ve still got a set on my 5 with big rotors (200/180). Still haven’t replaced them as I’m too cheap to replace something perfectly serviceable. Only done one Enduro (Dude’s in Kinlochleven) with them and survived with a reasonable result. I’m not light at 85Kg either. By the end of the weekend they needed a fair bit of tlc and bled so maybe not ideal. That said I saw a few other much newer broken brakes that weekend. I’d say they are adequate for most enduros in the UK and have survived the worst of enduro the stuff at Innerleithen. I kind of see them as an advantage when it gets steep and muddy as it stops you locking up and wiping out!

I have Hope X2 race with 180mm rotors (modern equivalent of mono mini?)on my Transition Covert and not dead yet. The rear has been known to fade somewhat though when it gets really hectic

I had them on my last bike and it was only when I replaced it that I realised how shite they are, I never felt in control in terms of modulating or having to stop quickly so ended up being over cautious with them .

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

they are ok if you are a light braker?

mono m4s would be a better choice

if you do go with them, swap out the metal pistons for phenolic ones, cheap (4 quid each?) and big improvement in heat dissipation ime

fatgit

Hi
    I have some on my Rocket.
    200/160 rotors and always been ok-including in Spain last year with a couple of long descents.
    Cheers
    Steve

mixmaster

I’ve still got a set on my 5 with big rotors (200/180).

balfa what mounting are you using for the rear 180?

My problem fellas is Hope say I can’t use the 180 disc on the rear and need a 183. Their mounting chart confirms this as I can’t see a 180-IS frame (rear) to PM claiper listed. Mount ‘B’ is IS to PM 183 disc.

Is the 183 something new then? Can I use another manufacturers mount?

Thanks everyone.

balfa

balfa what mounting are you using for the rear 180?

I’ve got an orignal IS mount caliper (No3) so I just have a +20mm adapter. Sounds like you might have the newer version that is a post mount caliper with adapter. You should be able to use any adapter regardless of manufacturer unless it fouls on the caliper. I’m also using a 203 rotor on the front when it should be 200mm. Havn’t died yet! 🙂

Premier Icon justinbieber
    Subscriber

I used to run Race X2’s and recently swapped to XT’s. Riding in the Lakes, especially the steep stuff around Keswick, the Hopes were underpowered. XT’s have been superb so far, and are about half the price.

The Hopes got me through the Dudes enduro last year and the Tweedlove EWS, but I have so much more confidence in the XTs.

OP the brakes will work on any disc mounted bike

183 is the standard hope size

i’m running 183 on the rear and 203 on the front and they work fine, im 16st and they stop me perfectly well

i’m off to the alps next wekk so if i’m not dead i’ll let you know how they work on long descents

the brakes will be fine on an alpine 160 just need the correct mounting, which any LBS will be able to help you with.

mixmaster

i’m off to the alps next week so if i’m not dead i’ll let you know how they work on long descents

I’m there already. Where are you going professor?

So will this let me run a ‘180’ (not 183) disc on the rear with a PM mono-mini caliper?

stoffel

On account of, they weren’t very good when they were new and that was in about 1960.

What a load of nonsense. I’ve had them on my bike sinse 1959 and they’ve been absolieute lfine, and need very little maintenance, unlike many other brands/models I’ve tried. The Hopes have been the most consistent and reliable in all that time. And these re the original Minis, not even the Monos.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Hope Mono-Mini on their Enduro bike?’ is closed to new replies.