Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Anyone use fat 650b monster-gravel type bike?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

… call that fat?

woody2000

Can anyone recommend a set of mudguards for bikes like this?  Don’t really like the traditional type guards as I find them tricky to fit.  Looking for a set that’s easy to fit, easy to remove and provides decent coverage for ~50mm tyres (650B).

TIA 🙂

jameso

Think 650b x 47c “road plus” was a compromise for smaller clearance frames.

Yes – was the biggest tyre that would fit most CX/gravel bikes on the market then with road chainsets/chainlines. For mixed rides with a road bias I think it’s a good size. G-One 2.35s are great off-road but I’m not sure about on road, they get a bit self-steery on bad tarmac and cornering really lost the ‘on an edge’ feeling you get on a 25-25mm, it’s much more of a side to side roll if that makes sense. You get used to it but it’s good to go back to a 50mm tyre. I’m settled on 50mm or so being up to anything a drop-bar, road-ish position bike can handle well, within normal rides, but wouldn’t rule out bigger. Pros/cons etc.

Raouligan
    Free Member

The Stayer is great, lots and lots of fun it’s just lovely for cruising round Epping Forest and from tap room to tap room! Just got a new pair of wheels with Schwalbe Beach Racing tyres the initial prognosis is they’re going to be super quick!

shermer75
    Free Member

Schwalbe Beach Racing 

What tyres are those?

BoardinBob

Can anyone recommend a set of mudguards for bikes like this? Don’t really like the traditional type guards as I find them tricky to fit. Looking for a set that’s easy to fit, easy to remove and provides decent coverage for ~50mm tyres (650B).

I run these on my 650b x 47 Whyte Glencoe. Loads of clearance

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Beavertail-XL-26-700C-Mudguard-Set_31818.htm

Raouligan
    Free Member

They’re G One Speed in 29×2.35 they’re terrifyingly light for such massive tyres

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use fat 650b monster-gravel type bike?’ is closed to new replies.