Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone use a SlackR by 9point8?
  • Premier Icon breninbeener
    Free Member

My daughter has a 2011 Trek Remedy 8.

She loves it but wants it a little slacker. Offset bushings are not a great option as the trunnion mount means you can only use one.

The IS headset means that the SlackR are the only anglesets im aware of that will fit. The are £100. I think i can get -1.5°.

Anyone used one?

Thanks

Ian

Premier Icon cp

Assuming you’ve got the steerer length to have the top cup external, superstar make the zs56 ec44 cups which will fit.

Premier Icon itpit
    Free Member

I have it on my carbon stache. Follow the instructions and let the locktite dry before riding it and it’ll be just fine.

Premier Icon frogstomp

The Trek archive suggests the headset is an FSA no57e which looks like it’s a semi-integrated rather than integrated, so the Slackr won’t be suitable.

Premier Icon breninbeener
    Free Member

@ frogstomp thank you. It appears i had got this wrong i will look at the superstar recommendation above.

Thanks all

Ian

Premier Icon pembo6

I highly recomend teh Works Components angle headset if it suites your bike. Works great.

Premier Icon SirHC

Mate has used one, creaked initially when assembled it, couldn’t get it tight enough so it creaked, carbon paste added, got it tighter, but still creaked. Took it apart, cleaned everything, thread lock on the threads and its been fine.

Premier Icon oikeith

Not used one, but wont slackening the HA decrease the reach ?

Premier Icon Del

a smidge

Premier Icon boxwithawindow

I have a brand new superstar slackset 8 never got round to using and won’t now as I had a frame built instead.

Message if interested and we can check to see if it fits purpose.

Premier Icon Northwind

oikeith

Not used one, but wont slackening the HA decrease the reach ?

Slackening the head angle basically pushes the stem back fractionally, but then it also slightly lowers the front fractionally, adding a little. But it’s a bawhair one way and a gnat’s cock the other so it definitely averages out to one Can’t Tell.

Free Member

@boxwithawindow Thanks, however i have bought a Works Components prior to your post.

To those people using them, how are you installing them? The top face of the top and bottom cup is machined so it isnt parallel to the head tube. So with the bearing seat machined at an angle too, it doesnt look like i can use abearing press, unless i put something on the top faces to take up the gap.

I intend to put the cups in the freezer prior to install. Will i have to install with rubber mallet?

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Ian

Premier Icon daver27
    Free Member

Use a press, but you may have to gently move it to work the cup in on each side to start. Once it’s in a few mm it’ll go in square. I’ve had them go in easy enough

Free Member

@daver27 thanks. I shall make haste slowly!

I will report back

Ian

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Slackening the head angle basically pushes the stem back fractionally, but then it also slightly lowers the front fractionally, adding a little. But it’s a bawhair one way and a gnat’s cock the other so it definitely averages out to one Can’t Tell.

I measured the change on my 2Souls Quarterhorse with a 2 degree works components slackset. Reach reduction was c. 8mm.

Because both cups were external on that (44mm headset) the stack was increased by the height of the cups which far outweighed the minuscule drop in reach from raking the fork out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.