Anyone use a Garmin Foretrax or Forerunner as a bike GPS?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone use a Garmin Foretrax or Forerunner as a bike GPS?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone use a Garmin Foretrax or Forerunner as a bike GPS?
  • higgo

I’ve used the old style Forerunner on my bike. Good as a bike computer (distance, max speed etc). Good to log where you’ve been if you go for an explore. Limited as a nav tool.

racing_ralph

Edge 205 seems a better option or wait on a phone upgrade to run memory map

racing_ralph

Especially one with a HRM, do i need to buy anything else (speed sensor is mentioned?)

trio25

I use a forerunner 305, smaller screen than the edge but otherwise basically the same as the edge, I like it as I have the choice of wearing it on my wrist as well.

Premier Icon jamesgarbett
    Subscriber

I use a Forerunner 305 for running and riding. Works well for me as I can wear it on wrist or on the bars. Use it with HRM and as a bike computer the accuracy is bob on. But limited in terms of mapping capability. No need for speed or cadence sensor IMO.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

my wife has a forerunner 305 – almost useless as a nav aid. Wont even give you datum location. It has been a great training aid for her though (Marathon runner/cross country)

I use a foretrex 101. nice simple GPS. I use it for map ref/grid ref checks (has uk and many other datums. including compatible with french IGN) and recording routes for sticking on googleearth to relive the moment 🙂 I ride with maps rather than just a GPS. It has no “mapping” ability on it’s own, but will track a route for you.

racing_ralph

Basically i want to be able to track where i have been and see this on screen plus speed/distance etc

Rambo

I use a 305 to track my rides and Sporttracks software to upload it to.

I used to run a computer on the bike as well but not any more.
    The only pain is having to look at it if I want to know anything as it’s easier to glance down that having to look on your wrist.

Having said that I rarely feel the need and it’s a great thing to have.
    Main benefit is that it’s so easy – you get a log of where you went and a record of how you improve (if you ride the same trails) and HR on various climbs etc.

It tracks your speed (via the GPS) and there are a lots of stats you can view.
    The sporttracks software will graph it all and show you where on the map you were at any one point.

Not cheap but IMHO worth it.

paulc

I use my forerunner 205 for running and on the bike, on the bike you can track location and speed fine, then if you want to see where you’ve been just view the data in Google earth!

Premier Icon jim
    Subscriber

Forerunner 205 here too. Great for running/biking but as others have said no real use for navigation – though I would tend to use a map for that anyway.

richc

can you get a grid reference off any of the forerunners?

racing_ralph

could i use it with memorymap?

markc123

I have the 305 with cadence / speed (ont the roadie). Works well for mapping after the event, good data logs of speed / incline / HR etc. Pap for navigation though. If you could be bothered putting the route in before hand with the software it could work, never tried though.

Easily bar mounred with a bit of pipe lagging.

I havent bothered with Speed / Cadence ont the MTB though. Would be awkward on my swingarm anyway.

Mate in work has the edge – much more info on a bigger screen, but no use if you run as well!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Garmin Foretrax or Forerunner as a bike GPS?’ is closed to new replies.