Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone use 32c’s on Open Sports?
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Time to re-rim my commuter/tourer/winter trainer/CX bike …

It currently has some alarmingly concave A119’s running 32c commutery tyres, or 32c CX tyres … they are getting pretty close to the point of no return …

I was wondering if Open Sports would be wide and robust enough to go CX and lug loads, bump speed ramps for 12 months of the year etc, while being a tinsy bit lighter and zippier than a straight replacement A119, the even more beefy A319 … I’ve never been for a 6 month tour across unmade roads in the hindu kush, nor am I likely to in the timeframe these rims are looking at surviving.

Mavic say yay to 32cs on sports – but I’ve had rollover on Mavic MTB rims with tyres on the limit of the official OK – any experiance?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Can’t help specifically, but I run michelin mud 2s for non race duties with no probs on mavic cosmos rims which are definitely roadie skinny. They used to get used in muddy races at 30 ish PSI too without too much squirm

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for that. The Mich’s are 700x30c are they not?

boxelder

32 CX tyres on Aksiums here without any issues offroad/backroad – are they wider than open sports (not much comparing them to my own sport rimmed roadie wheels)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Are aksiums wider than open sports? Mavic website says both rims are 622x15c …

… I think I can probably get away with sports then. Which is good becuase they are cheaper than the A319 …

hopster
    Free Member

Yes ran 700x35c for the HONC last year without an problems.

miketually
    Free Member

If Open Sport is the new name for the MA3 (which I’m sure it is) I’m currently running some 2.25″ Nevegals on mine…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If Open Sport is the new name for the MA3 (which I’m sure it is) I’m currently running some 2.25″ Nevegals on mine…

Erm, I’m not sure, they’re the same as open pros, only cheaper, being pin jointed etc. If they are 15mm ID, I’ll prolly be fine running 32s 🙂

hopster – erm what rims me babber?

swampi
    Free Member

i am happily running 2.1 ignitor tires and 2.1 wtb’s with no problems on my open pros

iainc

My Jake the Snake came with Open Sports and Maxxis Locust cx35 as standard, so yes

leggyblonde
    Free Member

mud 2s are 700×30 but some people think they’re fat 30s. Judging by the above comments you’ll be fine though

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Seems like it, cheers all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

No issues here either with 32mm on open sports. Running them on aksiums now, again without issues.

crazy-legs

32c tyres on Open Pro here with no problems.
    Any road rim will work fine with CX tyres up to about 32-34, I’ve seen everything from bog-standard Alex rims right up to Ksyriums and Zipp carbons being used for CX.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use 32c’s on Open Sports?’ is closed to new replies.