Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone upgraded their kids bikes
  • akira

Looking at getting bikes for boys fourth birthday but everything seems pretty weighty, thinking with new saddle, seatpost and bars I can shed some weight. Size of components an issue but think I can source stuff.
    So lets see some pics of blinged kids bikes for inspiration, Ridgeback MX14s especially.

JoeG
    Free Member

Or get an Islabike?

muenchen1
    Free Member

I looked into upgrading a cheap bike for my four year old as he outgrew his first Isla. Didn’t seem worth the cost/hassle. The kids grow through bike sizes so quick so as a half-way I borrowed parts off the old Isla to improve the cheap bike and got the next up Isla sourced ready to get him off the cheap bike ASAP.

timbur
    Free Member

Yeap. Got a nice Diamond Back off eBay and had to do a few bits to it. Suddenly my spares all found homes and my lad had a much nicer bike :O)

seanoc
    Free Member

Definately putting a Thomson seat post and stem on my daughters CNOC 20 when she she’s big enough.

takisawa2

I’m building my lad a 12″ framed, 26″ wheel Hotrock. Have some Exotic carbon rigids to go on. Need to pick up some disc hubs so can put Avid discs on. He’s still a year off riding it though, so plenty of time. Want to go 1×10 also. Did a simmilar thing on the Wifes Hotrock, it weighs in at 22lb…!!!

Coyote
    Free Member

Replaced the steel bars on my lads Apollo with some FSA XC620 bars. He likes it.

Simon

Biggest improvement I made to my kids 20″ Ridgeback MX20s was swapping the tyres for some Kenda Small Block Eights. More squish, fast rolling and good grip.
    Also put some cheap alu bars on to replace the heavy steel originals.

tomaso
    Free Member

The cranks are steel so you could save some weight there.

ianv
    Free Member

Up to 20″ the only thing I ever changed on my sons bikes were tyres. 24″ bikes became a whole different matter as by that stage it was obvious he could ride well (and loved it) and we were spending long periods on the lifts in the summer.

bighit grom by ianvincent, on Flickr

001 by ianvincent, on Flickr

akira

Good, was just checking I wasn’t being obsessed.
    Would get Islabike but we don’t sell them at work and since I need two if them it would be a lot more cash!
    Figuring cheap on one seatpost to replace steel one, need new kids race bmx saddle to replace chunky one and then charge bar instead of steel one. Should drop bit if weight, would consider brakes and levers but think they’re alloy anyway so prob not worth it.
    Already looking at more exciting options as they get older.

martinhutch

Forced to side-grade my lad’s cheapy 20″ scott when I realised the previous owner had put a chainset with fixed 165mm cranks on it.

To fit it, they’d machined off the granny ring leaving bolt stubs facing inwards which had gouged a lump out of the frame…

So he got a new chainset with shorter cranks, 8-speed freewheel, shifter, tyres and an on-one stem I had lying around. Should have just bought a different bike, in retrospect.

ianv
    Free Member

Saddles, seat posts and bars make sense as you will be able to swap them to the next bike as the 14″ gets replaced. I wouldn’t spend any more money on it though.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Kids need the weight to develop proper leg muscles. Weight reducing at such as an early age will result in concerning developmental defects such as softyism, leg shaving and lycra. Next thing you know your son has turned into Gok Wan. And no one wants that.

Save the money for when they’re older and want really expensive bikes. Lightweight fancy bikes at that age won’t make them love the riding bikes. Lots of encouragement, fun, mud, quality time with Dad and the inevitable big knee plaster will (IMO).

akira

I can’t let them run the bikes as factory spec with no upgrades though, I’m not a monster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone upgraded their kids bikes’ is closed to new replies.