Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • Anyone up for the F1 start?
  • rOcKeTdOg

webber’s autocross car

nickc

that’ll polish out…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

bit of T-cut it’ll be fine

I like Button – a mtb’er too I believe…

donsimon
    Free Member

A few of them are.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

A few of them are

indeed, Webber raced Mountain Mayhew in 2004

Pook

Those tyres shed 61 litres of water a second y’know. Enough to fill a bath in 4 seconds.

Crap in mud though.

Houns

Realistically Button and Hamilton aren’t going to win it ergo i’ll be cheering for Webber

the-muffin-man

Obviously its really between Weber and Alonso now, but Hamilton still has a slim outside chance.

Vettel needs wins and some seriously good luck with the other three droping out, and Jenson admits himself he’s out of it now.

Some good hi-res pics here…

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/10/24/korean-grand-prix-in-pictures/

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Does anyone think that the poor drainage on the race track actually scripted the drama?
    Did webbers crew actually reset his downforce when it was evident all wets would be required? It looks looked vettels car was reconfigured judging by how much grip he actually had over the other top 5 cars

naokfreek
    Free Member

Well, fell asleep and have just finished the iplayer rerun, drank far to much wine….my redbull prediction was spot on…roll on the next race!!

Note to self, must stay away from the internet whilst drunk.

glenp
    Free Member

Conditions like that, anyone could make a race-ending mistake. Unfortunately it was Webber who was just too nervy and got it wrong. Didn’t think it was any worse (or nearly as bad) as Vettel spearing into the side of Button at Spa.

Yet again it was Alonso keeping a cool head. He’s been nursing engines for some time now – surely must be due for a bit of bad luck. Webber is the one with the best prospects engine-wise, since he has only just taken his last one, and then it only ran for a few laps!

Can’t wait for the last two races now. Interlagos will be quite even between the top 3 teams, plus Renault will be good there too.

Red Bull’s disrespect for Webber, who has worked tirelessly for that team for years, leaves a bad taste for me – makes me cheer for him even more.

By the way, I don’t think one race is enough to put a team off Adrian Sutil – he’s a great driver and will continue to do well. I actually thought he might end up replacing Schumacher, but he is improving a wee bit now (even if he is still a long way behind Rosberg).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shame for Webber, but he made a mistake, and held his hands up to it. Massive shame for Vettel, because he retired through no fault of his own. Din’t like the cheering by Ferrari and McLaren, when the Red Bulls retired.

Alonso kept his cool, and was unlucky with his wheel nut in the pits, but then lucky when Hamilton made an error. Seems that pressure is really getting to the top drivers now. Alonso likely to show the coolest head, I think. His engine issue may well prove to be a factor in the WC yet. I think he’s driven the best out of all the drivers this season, mind; 5 wins says it all. Massa simply has to accept that he is No 2 at Ferrari; if he was as good as Alonso, then his results would reflect that. He isn’t, so must accept it or leave.

Similar issue for Button at McLaren I’d say. Just not quite been up there with Hamilton, although the gap between them is a lot closer than Alonso and Massa. Similar at Red Bull; Vettel is the faster driver, there’s no doubt. Simply more talented.

I’m hoping for Alonso to win the drivers’ WC. By 7 points or less, just to piss the Ferrari/Alonso haterz off. 😉 Would like Vettel to finish 2nd, Webber 3rd, and Button does Hamilton in the last two races to come 4th. Just to piss the Hammo loverz off. 😉

Cracking season though. Best I think I’ve ever watched, in terms of how many drivers are in the hunt.

What really **** annoyed me though, was the BBC switching channels over during the race. So my recording was only of the section on BBC1. Then, for some bizarre reason, the iPlayer stream (after the race had finished), did exactly the some thing. Having included all the red-flagged section, with loads of really boring scenes of nothing happening. WTF? And no ‘part 2’ either. So, I couldn’t watch he end of the race. Well done Beeb. You boobed. Sort it out! You know that races can be delayed, you know millions will be recording it as it’s so flipping early, think about a contingency plan! What did we get instead? The Andrew Marr Show. Why TF could that not have been shifted to BBC2? How many people would be watching/recording that, compared to the F1??? 👿 Fortunately, the re-run cut out all the boring red flag/safety car bits, and showed the entire rest of the race. Why couldn’t they have done the iPlayer stream like that? 🙄

nickc

Has Alonso used his allocation of 8 engines yet, does anyone know?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He’s on his last one I think. If he takes another, he gets a 10-place grid penalty, which at this stage would pretty much ruin his WC chances.

Mind you, what might be fun, if the top teams all cock up, like Ferrari and McLaren did in Malaysia, leaving the top 6 drivers all at the back of the grid, and needing to fight to get up into the points. Then we’d see who’s really got the balls for it…

richmars

I can see Vettel and Alonso coming together off the start in Brazil, leaving Hamiliton and Webber to fight it out, meaning it’s all open for the last race.

nickf
    Free Member

And Brazil will be a lottery – high probability of rain in either qualifying or the race means that anyone could win.

Realistically, Hamilton has to win the next one, ‘cos Abu Dhabi is looking good for the Red Bulls.

glenp
    Free Member

Although Interlagos does have that massive uphill straight, it still very much favours the car with the highest downforce – there is more lap time in the twisty bit than the flat out bit. Plus it is notoriously bumpy. I don’t think McLaren will be winners there, at least not without the weather shaking things up.

I honestly don’t think there is much to split Vettel and Webber. Vettel was mega yesterday, but there have been other weekends when it has been the other way round. It is coming down to grit and nerve – Alonso definitely has those qualities, Webber and Vettel have got to go out and prove they have too.

clubber
    Free Member

There’s talk that Alonso could take an engine penalty by choice at Interlagos because overtaking there is possible while it’s pretty difficult at Abu Dhabi. Brazil usually seems to put on a good race and who knows – if we get those famous rain storms and resultant streams across the track the result could be anyone’s guess…

On the basis that Button and Hamilton are out (though never say never…), I’m hoping Webber wins though.

richmtb

Webber has proved he is at his best when his back is against the wall. Ironically his crash might make a win more likely for him in Interlagos.

But don’t rule out the Mclarens at what is a bumpy power circuit

clubber
    Free Member

McLaren just don’t seem to be getting things right at the moment – from aero updates not working to making the right calls on set up. Unless it rains (and I don’t reckon it will in Abu Dhabi!) and they can get the car working right – see Hamilton this weekend – not a good race in the rain from someone who usually does well – I can’t see Hamilton winning.

hora
    Free Member

I predict it will finish:

Champion. Alonso
    2. Webber
    3. Hamilton
    4. Vettell

I really do hope I’m wrong. Sincerely so.

clubber
    Free Member

Sadly I think you’re right and no doubt elfy will get his wish that FA wins by less than 7 points 😉

glenp
    Free Member

No “sadly” for me – if Alonso wins it will be because he deserves it. I can’t understand the Alonso hating – on the basis of one season where none of us will ever know what really went on.

Can’t see Hamilton beating either Red Bull.

I’d go for Webber, Alonso, Vettel, LH, JB.

Or maybe FA, MW, SV, LH, JB.

McLaren are working very hard on quali performance they are ending up not being able to look after their tyres in the race – the very opposite of what they usually claim (that they have a good race car vs quali).

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t hate Alonso – in fact before his trantrums at McLaren, I was a big fan of his. I just think less of him having seen more of his character. You’re right that we’ll never know the full story but I a couple of points are clear – first he knew about the Ferrari espionage and was actively involved in using it for more info (emails when he was asking for specific info on the ‘red car’) and that he tried to blackmail Ron Dennis with revealing all at the Hungarian GP when things didn’t go his way.

nickc

I can’t understand the Alonso hating

for lots of folk (not me) he’s the perfect ‘panto villian’

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, you know what? Whoever wins it from here (unless it’s purely down to engine failure or something beyond the driver’s control) deserves it. It’s bee a fantastic, exciting season, and credit to all those who’ve worked to make it so close and enthralling. All those still in it are worthy of winning the WC, really.

glenp
    Free Member

Love the panto villain angle – that’s pretty much how I look at these things. I always had a similar love to hate feeling for Ron Dennis – ridiculously controlling and devious was always my impression – like a Bond baddie. An impression made all the stronger by the McLaren Technology Centre, which does look to be straight out of a comedy drama movie. The sections with DC in McLaren Mission Control were just hilarious.

clubber
    Free Member

Is there a volcano under the lake?

nickc

wot elfin said, whoever wins this season, deserves it TBH. It’s been properly good racing

hora
    Free Member

Alonso hating is a strong word. Its not hate its just the way he came across that year. He did himself no favours and it was consistent.

Schu has never been popular in my books.

The only serene champs that I can think of since I started watching are:

Damo
    Hamo
    Hakinnen.

Its the way they come across in the media. They way they handle themselves.

Yes Mika was apparently a stresshead behind the scenes but that just shows the amount of pressure these guys put themselves under.

richmtb

Yes Mika was apparently a stresshead behind the scenes but that just shows the amount of pressure these guys put themselves under.

Who can forget his nervous breakdown behind a tyre wall at Monza

hora
    Free Member

Caught on helicopter/camera? Thats the exact point I actually warmed to him. Didn’t Schu say that his best years were fighting with Mika for those two championships?

the-muffin-man

The only serene champs that I can think of since I started watching are:

Don’t forget the current World Champ – about as laid-back as you can get!

rickmeister

Alonso, serial and long term childish whining immature egotistical spoiled brat. Reading books about his involvement in the Ferrari Tech scandal, threatening to release info for more money and so on and so on…

Ross Brawn gave a bit of insight into his past…

Sure he can drive well, but thats not all its about for me. I will be sad if he wins for Massa at Ferrari. Obviously pegged back by a primadonna in a race suit.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I think button is an excellent wc.

I want hamilton to win, however I don’t think they have the car to let him do it in, rb and fer are too strong at the minute, and unless they have reliabilty issues, then I can’t see lh taking the championship. If it does come down to mechanicals, it will be a shame too, even though reliabilty is part of the f1 rollercoaster.

However I will be more then happy to see webber lift the championship, and if either vettle or alonso win it, even though I don’t like them, good on them.

glenp
    Free Member

Alonso, serial and long term childish whining immature egotistical spoiled brat.

There you go – perfect example of how a very limited experience is extrapolated and generalised. Some people railed against him during “that” year and then seem to believe that he has always been and will always be like that. And all that based on a very limited knowledge of what actually happened.

Alonso wasn’t known as a “whinger” before, but once you get this narrative set in your mind you just attribute it for ever more, including looking back.

He was the youngest ever winner and champion, and was twice WDC in a Renault against the most successful of all time. He remains the number one driver in the world, and will be for some considerable time to come. How that gets to “spoiled brat” I don’t know – he’s at the very top of one of the toughest games in the world… no-one holds that status without being totally single-minded and driven.

hora
    Free Member

Agree Button does come across as serene, calm and levelheaded a Champ.

clubber
    Free Member

Admittedly from a friend of a friend but I’m pretty sure it’s true – Button is by all accounts a good bloke too – went on a stag do with said FOF and couldn’t praise him enough for being very normal and not remotely flash/arrogant.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Cannot see LH winning drivers championship at interlagos, he was genuinly lucky when he won 2 years ago – and now we have no toyotas to help him 😉
    My money is on alonso, webber has a team mate to worry about and alonso knows this – maybe does not need to come in first at both races??

clubber
    Free Member

200!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘Anyone up for the F1 start?’ is closed to new replies.