Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Anyone up for a pre Christmas weekday ride next week? Surrey area…
  • ask1974
    Free Member

I’m off next week and will obviously take advantage and head for the hills. Unfortunately all my usual riding colleagues are still at work so I thought I’d see if any STW locals are around.

Gibbet Hill / Devils Punch Bowl is my local area but always up for somewhere new. I rode Pitch Hill a couple of weeks back and always happy to go back, but IMO I think this should be left to the locals for a while as it’s getting pretty chopped up. Never been to Swinley Forest so would love a tour with someone who knows their way around – not sure how the trails are standing up though.

Anyone else slacking off and up for a ride?

rewski
    Free Member

Swinley is a good shout, was riding well the other night, suggest just going and getting lost for the day. Unfortunately I’m working otherwise I’d join you.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’m off next week and have some time, dont know the trails at all but quite fancy following the dotted lines and exploring. Send me a mail if your up for it, see if we can arrange something.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Shame it’s not this week as I’m ‘between’ jobs, but start my new job next week, so no time off!

ask1974
    Free Member

ti_pin_man I’ve sent you an email. Maybe we can pull together a small group of STW riders for a blast and a few Christmas beers.

Sorry thats_not_my_name, flat out this week preparing for time off… will let you know how much fun it is 🙂

ask1974
    Free Member

OK, that’s two of us and we’ve provisionally arranged for Tuesday 20th. Location TBC but Swinley Forest / Gibbet Hill / Peaslake are all possibilities.

My plan is to pull together a decent XC route with a beer and sandwich waiting at a nice country pub at the end. The more the merrier so pipe up if you fancy a blast before Christmas.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but Greg, between jobs, wanna ride tomorrow night then at 5, petersfield Haslemere, pub and then back?

piha
    Free Member

Mmmm, could be up for this.

sugdenr
    Free Member

20th I can do Swinley AM, got to take kids to panto PM (oh yes I do), know my way around (usually)

shortcut

I’m about and can happily lead in Surrey Hills and get lost around Swinley!

ask1974
    Free Member

Piha, should be fun… 😀

Sugdenr, I can lead around Gibbet and Peaslake but Swinley is new to both myself and ti_pin_man, would be fun to have a look see. Two questions…

What time would you need to be away?
    Do you know a good pub to finish at?

I’m planning a morning start, say around 9am/10am with lunch time finish so people can be away around 2pm/3pm, earlier if necessary. If we go to Swinley someone will need to step up and guide to make it a worthwhile visit, don’t really fancy blundering around and missing the good stuff!

ask1974
    Free Member

Shortcut, is that you in as well? I’m going to pump the forum for a day or two until we have a confirmed team. If you’re up for it send me an email so I can coordinate.

loum
    Free Member

I’m free next week and would like to come too. All the locations sound good, I’d enjoy any of them. I’ve been to Holmbury/Leith Hills and Swinley, but not Gibert/Devils PunchBowl. What I’ve ridden in Swinley was great fun, but it’d be even better with someone who knows where they’re going. Finding the trails is not a problem, but last time I went there were a few moments when I realised there was a “better” direction to be going on some.

ask1974
    Free Member

Loum, nice one. I think Swinley is first choice as it’s a bit of a new adventure for some of us, definitely would like a guide otherwise Gibbet / Punch Bowl would be fun. The trails are in good nick.

If you’re in pop me an email so I can get in touch.

We need to find this guy…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5uslwIp48Bw[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ask1974 – I might be around especially if its Gibbet/Punchbowl. I know Gibbet, but never really sure where people ride in the PB. Isn’t the middle OUB to bikes? I am aware of an area that looks like motorbikes use it – on the beacon hill side of the main ridge but not other places. The obvious paths down towards Hankley/Thursley all seem too bouldery to be too much fun – or am I wrong?

Is Gibbet very slippy at the moment?

mcboo
    Free Member

Also off, will try and come join…..Swinley would suit.

ask1974
    Free Member

teamhurtmore, there are some pretty cool routes that navigate the arms of the bowl and end up at the bottom. TBH I’m still finding new stuff as I only moved to the area last year and got back on my bike late this summer (kids!). It doesn’t offer the variety that Pitch, Holmbury & Leith have as it’s a smaller hill; but I do like my local routes. I spent three hours grinning like a child as I rode my new Five for the first time around my normal route …

The steep downhill runs off Gibbet are getting a little slippery but the rest is holding up well. I grew up in Forest Green and went back to Pitch Hill for the first time in ages the week before last. Guided by people ‘in-the-know’ we did the usual trails and it was starting to get a bit chopped up. The PB is fine by comparison.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

bugpowderdust – Member
    Sorry for the hijack but Greg, between jobs, wanna ride tomorrow night then at 5, petersfield Haslemere, pub and then back?

Scott – drop me an email Greg dot driver at btinternet dot com with start time and location, though I’m not 100% I can make it.

Shame I’ll miss this ride, especially if it’s round the DPB , in case I’m missing some routes!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers ask – might pop up there tomorrow, weather permitting. I run all over the PB but never ridden there. Can’t imagine an easy way back out!!! Not sure my technique and basic bike are up to GH at the moment.

ask1974
    Free Member

There are several ways out of the PB up quite obvious tracks, but the best way out (IMO) is to get right to the bottom… Find a trail that leads all the way down to Hyde Lane. I only know one which is a hoot on a bike but I’m sure there are more. When you hit Hyde Lane turn left (west) and follow the road for a little while. Only about 500m as I do it. The lane heads south downhill then makes a fairly sharp U turn north, on this turn is a path that winds back up all the way to the Cafe through a beautiful wood. Just remember to take the left track at the first junction, can’t miss it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks again ask – that the path I run back up. The bit where the motorbikes have been is near the top of that on the LHS as it veers up to the rim. Below the buildings. There look like plenty of short decents into that whole valley.

ask1974
    Free Member

Ahhh, I think I know exactly where you mean, there are some obvious motor bikes trails in the woods to the left as you climb through the woods I described. I’ve never been to the top of that ridge so cannot comment. The good riding is on the far side of the PB.

ask1974
    Free Member

Re this pre Christmas ride…

So far we have three confirmed for Tuesday 20th. Venue still open so just availability and interest needed just now. If you want to join us please email me directly and include your mobile number. I’ll coordinate everyone and make a decision about the venue on Sunday subject to numbers etc…

Pretty bloody excited… thats a ride on Sunday and Tuesday 😀

Christmas rocks…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The opposite side? From the old A3? never thought of that! Again too busy running up there! But I thought the signs around the YH and at the end of the road out of Thursley said no bikes?

I noticed that the big steps on the track down to the ford have all been smoothed out?????

ask1974
    Free Member

If you picture the PB from above, the good riding I’m referring to starts near the old A3 on the left, a little south of Punch Bowl lane. On the opposite side of the PB from here is the wood that I’m referring to. I think you’re right about riding near the YH but we don’t go near there. We head down the arms and across the bottom.

We might be talking about different places, my ability to describe accurately is pretty rubbish. Your welcome to join us for a ride sometime and I’ll show you in person. The Cafe does a great breakfast if you need any other encouragement!!!

ask1974
    Free Member

That’s four confirmed. Starting to shape up nicely.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have to be away about 12.30/1, I have maps of Swinley (google images swinleysingletrack.jpg) and can lead a loop of the main suspects. There is a decent enough pub you can drive to after (Cricketers on the A30 at Jn with the A322) but only really a cafe to finish at. Normally I ride in from the other side across Barossa Common to meet at the Lower Star Post but can keep going to meet in the carpark.

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks Sugdenr, we have four confirmed now and some who will attend subject to where we ride, so I’m going to wait until the weekend and choose a venue that works for all. A lot depends on timing, as some will be coming from town we may not start until mid morning.

Perhaps people could let me know the earliest they are happy meeting? I’m a early bird so no problems my end.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

10am is best for me

loum
    Free Member

Hi ask1974

I’ve now sent you an email to you profile adress. any time from 8am is good for me for Swinley/ Surrey Hills, maybe a bit later for Devils Punchbowl depending on transport.

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks ti-pin_man. OK, that’s the earliest we start then…

By the way we’re five now.

scud
    Free Member

I can’t ride on the 20th as work don’t seem to like me not turning up and riding my bike instead.

If any is ever free of an evening and wants to be shown around Swinley, i’m always happy to show them round.

ask1974
    Free Member

Scud, how about a weekend some time in the new year? If we head off elsewhere next week I’d still be up for a bash with someone to show the way.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

ask – if really needed I could get there for 9.30… might be a push but should be able to, kind of depends where the ride is 😉

scud
    Free Member

I am up for meeting up at the weekend once xmas is out of the way for a ride definitely

loum
    Free Member

Hi scud. Nice one, I like the sound of a January Swinley ride too, I’d be in if this happens.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bllx – cant make next Tuesday, sorry. It would have been fun to meet up. Have fun at Swinley.

oliverholder
    Free Member

I can’t make the ride on tuesday but would deifnitely be up for a january ride in Swinley and if anyone fancies a post xmas burn the turkey off ride play with any new spangly bike bits?? maybe on like the 28th/29th??

Scud from the sounds of things it worth following you round the trails there then, ive been a couple of times but wouldnt exactly say I know my way around 😛

ask1974
    Free Member

Looks like this is turning into two rides. I’ll start a new thread for Swinley in the new year. I’m in for that… 😛

ask1974
    Free Member

Anyone else up for a ride on Tuesday next week.

So far we have five confirmed and we’re off to Porridge Pot Hill / Tunnel hill near Farnborough. 0930 start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anyone up for a pre Christmas weekday ride next week? Surrey area…’ is closed to new replies.