Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone tried the Wölvhammer winter boots?
  • MadPierre

My old Shimano winter boots are on their last legs – neoprene cuff split, worn through where they’ve rubbed pedals, soles battered and I’ve had cold wet feet on most recent rides despite it not being that cold!

Just looking around and noticed the Wölvhammer by 45nrth http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/wolvhammer

Mahoosive price aside! Anyone tried them? Are they overkill for UK conditions? How are they size wise?

MadPierre

Just found the Fasterkatt by the same – look like they might be a bit more appropriate (and cheaper)?

Speshpaul

similar design, but one of those either they fit you or they don’t cuts

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/0-degree-ls-100-shoes-ec052072

i went for the current shimano winter offering in the end, could do with a softer/grippier sole but no complaints.

SidewaysTim

We have both in stock and I’ve used the Wolvhammers (not this year though). They are far too hot if the temperature is above zero, but when it’s proper cold they’re amazing.
    The Fasterkatt is a better bet for a general winter boot, but be wary of the sizing.

nbt

Father Christmas bought me some Fasterkatts.

I normally take a 41 and wear a carbon orthotic insole, I’ve taken a 42 in the fasterkatts to allow extra space so my toes stay warm but even so I cannot use my insole.

They were great on the first time out, an SS MTB night ride for about 1hr 45 mins. On the road on Saturday on the tandem, the zip popped open and it was a right bugger to reset, it later popped again. that may be my bad zipping technique or it may be a poor design as I don’t think I have particularly large feet

MadPierre

Cheers. What do you recommend sizing wise Tim? I’m usually a UK 10 but obviously with a winter boot might want to wear a thicker sock….?

NBT – zipper bust or just temp problem?

nbt

Yes, I went up one size to allow room for thicker socks

The zipper seems to be ok, I will give it one more try and use the approved zipper techinique and see how it goes. If it happens again then I might have to have a chatwith the shop where I bought it – they were lovely people and I don’t want to upset them but I can’t afford to throw away £200 on stuff that doesn;t work 🙁

MadPierre

Yeah I defo don’t want to waste a couple of hundred! Found some reviews where other people have had zip issues too…

nbt

they;’re in euro sizes anyway. I’m a uk 7 – maybe a 6 depending who makes the shoe. I take a 41 in shimano shoes. The shop didn’t have a 41 in stock, but the 42 seemed to be ok – a little roomy with thin socks, leaving room for thicker socks. The 42 wolvhammer I tried was much bigger than the 42 fasterkatt

I tried a 43 northwave celsius a day or two previously but it was like wearing a boat on my foot

MadPierre

Cheers for the info. Would like to try some on but it’ll probably have to be internerd purchase….

MadPierre

I’ve ordered some 46 (normally a 45) Fasterkatt so we’ll see how they go. Found ’em for 180. Expect an end to all this wetness and unusual dry/warm winter to commence as soon as they arrive….

nbt

Rode to work today and the zips held up ok but I do have concerns – took these pics before removing the boots from my feet (but after wiping down some of the mud)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you can see how the the whole length of the zip is opened out – I htink the two sides are supposed to meet and provide a level of water resistance. You can also see (in the landscape format picture) the ulge where the lace closer sits at the very tightest part of the boot

MadPierre

Yeah. Can see what you mean. Their web site says they use YKK zips – so you’d expect them to be decent.

nbt

Zipper went again on Thursday’s night ride. They’re going back 🙁

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

This zip issue reminds me of a problem I had with an old waterproof jacket I had. I’ve avoided anything with these water resistant zips ever since.

vorlich
    Free Member

About the zip – 45N issued a technical instruction on how to use it properly. 🙄

Lots of reports online stating similar issues. Put me right off.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the Wölvhammer winter boots?’ is closed to new replies.