Anyone tried Giro or Mavic shoes? How do they compare to shimano?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone tried Giro or Mavic shoes? How do they compare to shimano?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone tried Giro or Mavic shoes? How do they compare to shimano?
  • Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

i have some mavic switchbacks which are pretty good butt the seem a bit longer and narrower than my shimanos,but only by half a size if that makes sense, also a bit lower round the ankle

Kitz_Chris

The width was my main concern to be honest. The shimano shoes are about as narrow as I would want, so if the Mavics are narrower then they’re probably a no go, specially if they’re longer too.

Kitz_Chris

I’m looking at replacing my shimano m315’s but have seen a couple of good deals on Mavic and Giro shoes online.
    I’m not going to buy them without trying on first, but thought I’d see if anyone can offer a comparison about fit before I drive around and find a shop that stocks them.

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

I’ve got a pair of Giros that I really like.

I have to go a size up on Shimanos to get the width. The Giros are more normal and are very high quality in their construction.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

mate has a pair of giros, he chose them over the equivalent shimano due to the slight extra width.
    i would agree with comment above re quality, my mate is no lightweight and they are holding up no problem.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

The Mavics are a little slim in the toe-box, but they do a broad version of the base-level entry off-road shoe now, the Rush Maxi – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90622.

I’ve been running a pair of the standard Rush for about a year and really like them. Stiff platform for pedalling, but with enough flex for walking/running and brilliant grip from the Salomon-designed Contragrip sole – great for cross, muddy 24-hour races and hike-a-bike sections. They’ve so far stayed in one piece too, unlike several Spesh shoes which all shed their sole units after six months or so of hard use.

Premier Icon davetrave
    Subscriber

BWD +1. Had a pair of Spesh that barely lasted 3 Peaks in 2011 – shed the sole – whereas I used the Mavic Rush last year and they were perfect given the conditions under foot/tyre and the amount of running/walking we ended up doing. The Salomon sole in particular is excellent.

Although strangely, and the converse of others’ experiences, I find the Mavics better for my wide(ish) feet than Shimano shoes…

All that said, I do find Spesh shoes by far the best fit wise and I’ve just bought a pair of (spangly white) Rimes in preference to some Shimano M162. The Rimes have a Vibram sole though so will hopefully be better than the crappy plastic units on their other MTB shoes.

alexdodd

I’ve got some MO87’s and Mavic Fury’s both in 42, and i’d say for me they’re pretty much of a muchness in terms of size. If i had to call, potentially the Shimano’s are a little narrower, but both are a fantastic fit. They have different cleats on to save me changing between, and I don’t find myself wanting to reach to one or the other ever… Despite the Fury’s technically being a fair bit more expensive I think (I got them both for the same price though).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Giro or Mavic shoes? How do they compare to shimano?’ is closed to new replies.