Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • Anyone tried changing their own car tyres?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Yes I know it’s likely to be difficult, yes I know it’s critical and that they use expensive machines, yes I know it’s a silly thing to be thinking about etc etc etc.

However I would still like to hear people’s relevant experiences in this area, thanks 🙂

treaclesponge
    Free Member

You will die to death if you do

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The way I look at it…

You will struggle to get them from a wholesaler being Mr Molgrips of Molgripsville.

If you buy them from a regular tyre fitter, they won’t give them to you any cheaper for not fitting.

Why the bollocks would you even try?

hora
    Free Member

How do you propose to do your wheel balancing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How do you propose to do your wheel balancing?

He will use mrsgrips’ loom.

piemonster

Hmmm, diy bodgery on the most important bits of a car…

I’m popping kettle on, anyone want a brew?

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve got the lever thing to break the bead and levers. It’s hard work and balancing by hanging the wheel on string is a bit hit and miss, so now I’m no longer poverty stricken I pay the man at the tyre fitters.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ooh, I wouldn’t – you need a special very expensive reaming tool that only proper wheel changing places have.

parkesie
    Free Member

On steels its easy enough to do but youve still got to balance the buggers so easier too pop to tyre place. If its to fit tyres you already own most places that do part worns will be happy to fit them.

dribbling
    Free Member

I did it once about 20 years ago, never again – bl**dy dangerous..but worked out fine eventually.

The hardest part was squeezing it over the rim without breaking the wheel off, but eventually got it on and was pulling on my trigger again in no time.

peterfile
    Free Member

you need a special very expensive reaming tool that only proper wheel changing places have

I reckon you could get one of those in Ann Summers.

wwaswas

My dad used to do it all the time when he ran a Land Rover with tubed tyres.

He never went over abotu 45 mph in it and the prop shaft was so out of balance despite the application of numerous jubilee clips that any slight wheel wobble was incidental.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because I already own the tyres!

It’s £300/year or thereabouts to swap winter and summer tyres. Spare wheels for both cars would cost £450 or so and then I’d need the tyres fitted to those for £150, which is a big outlay.

It’d be nice to be able to do it myself, and for that price I could buy whatever kit I need.

There are wheel balancing rigs available. I think you just have to mount the wheel on something free spinning and horizontal, so that the heaviest part sinks to the bottom.

you need a special very expensive reaming tool that only proper wheel changing places have

You do? Whenever I’ve had it done the guy has a rig that tells him where the heavy spot is, and he just sticks weights to the rim. Never seen any reaming.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bet Coffeeking’s done it – where is he these days?

piemonster

It’s £300/year or thereabouts to swap winter and summer tyres.

WHAT?

They seen you coming. What do you drive, a Maybach?

Trimix
    Free Member

Your paying way to much to swop tyres. My local garage would do them for a tenner a go or less.

Ive regularly taken wheels and tyres to various garages and had them fitted/removed/balanced for a fiver/tenner a go.

Edukator
    Free Member

But do you put the weight on the inside or outside of the rim? It’s trial and error. I changed the tyres on my competition cars which were never geared for more than 100mph.

bencooper
    Free Member

You do? Whenever I’ve had it done the guy has a rig that tells him where the heavy spot is, and he just sticks weights to the rim. Never seen any reaming.

I was kidding – see numerous headset threads 😉

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Low profile tyres, forget it.

Anything else, big tyre levers and two people usually helps. Oh and experience.

wwaswas

I would agree with the above that more than a tenner a tyre to take off/refit is too much.

go to a local independent and haggle.

glupton1976
    Free Member

http://www.tyrebaydirect.com/107-Tyre_Machine_Packages/622-Package_1_-_20_Semi_Automatic_Tyre_Machine_&_Wheel_Balancer_Package.html

There you go – job done.

It’s easy enough to change car tyres and balancing them on the car is straightforwards enough.

Jamie
    Free Member

Surely this time could be better spent cleaning your fridge?

molgrips
    Free Member

They seen you coming. What do you drive, a Maybach?

The mobile guy is £15.. or maybe it’s £12 actually. I could should shop around, you’re right.

There are two cars, each of which has four wheels, and they need changing twice a year.

tracknicko
    Free Member

I would agree with the above that more than a tenner a tyre to take off/refit is too much.

a tenner per tyre is too much.

£40??!??

edit: ahhh multiple cars.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Can you not just buy cheap rims, have the tyres fitted and swap wheels?

molgrips
    Free Member

These mythical cheap rims are hard to find. Only 1 set on ebay currently for £100 for one car, and they were in Leeds collect only. The rest are £200-250 for 4. So it’s a big outlay again. Don’t really have that much lying around.

Northwind

Well played Bencooper, well played.

I fit and balance my own motorbike tyres, but that’s relatively straightforward- the tyres and wheels are pretty well balanced in the first place, and you can balance them in the bike with a bit of patience. But that doesn’t work with cars- too much drag, and the wheel and tyre weights can be all over the place especially with cheaper ones.

So, I got a second set of wheels instead for the car.

Northwind

Oh, a new post. What car is it molgrips? Some are cheaper than others- with Ford frinstance there’s about 10 million slightly used or brand new 15 or 16 inch steelies out there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I broke a nail sticking HansDampfs on Crests the other day..

I’d hazard a guess a broken wrist at the very least.

BOL..

& Pics.

😀

SaxonRider

molgrips – Member

Because I already own the tyres!

It’s £300/year or thereabouts to swap winter and summer tyres. Spare wheels for both cars would cost £450 or so and then I’d need the tyres fitted to those for £150, which is a big outlay.

I just watched ebay for a few months until the right wheels came up and bought them so I could have two sets. Then, with storage in the back garden, I was sorted.

binners

molgrips
    Free Member

VW Passat 2006 205/55R16
    Toyota Prius 2006 195/55R16

Jamie
    Free Member

Any chance of a smaller pic, binners?

argoose
    Free Member

Snow chains

crikey
    Free Member

You could always do what people who don’t follow the latest STW fashion do, and not bother with winter tyres.

Y’know, like the rest of the UK has been doing for the last 30 years. I know this will seem like heresy, and I’m probably going to die a horrible snowy death, but for the 4 or 5 days a year that it actually snows, and that the snow actually lies on the ground, is it really worth it?

Again, I know that having winter tyres is an absolute must for the daring young motorists of this parish, but I reckon you’ll be fine.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just try breaking a bead on your spare tyre, molgrips. If you get that far there’s a good chance you have the strength and patience to do the rest.

Northwind

Make sure you can get it back on, too.

binners

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fek me. Not only does Molgrips have the worlds most unreliable VW, he also throws money away swapping it’s tyres twice a year.
    I’m constantly astonished how much money you manage to throw away on cars mate! 🙂

I’m honestly sitting here shaking my head in disbelief. Gobsmacked.

jota180
    Free Member

You need a more diverse group of friends Moly

I’ve just had some [barely] used Winter tyres fitted for £25 and I had to force that on him. I seem to have mates in all sorts of trades and industries.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried changing their own car tyres?’ is closed to new replies.