Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone tried a walking desk?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I could maybe get a standing desk and a slimline treadmill thing and walk whilst working. In theory s great way to stay active. But in practice, bloody stupid and impossible to do?

AdamT

I guess it depends on what your work is? I know I couldn’t do it

oldnpastit

Why not use a turbo instead?

molgrips
    Free Member

It involves typing and thinking.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why not use a turbo instead?

Tried that, it’s really hard.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Just place the desk on the treadmill too?

dyna-ti

Thankfully office chairs have castors 😆

robola

Why not strap your laptop to your head and go for a walk?

RobHilton
    Free Member

But in practice, bloody stupid and impossible to do?

Pretty much this

molgrips
    Free Member

Why not strap your laptop to your head and go for a walk?

That’s ridiculous.

However, one of those trays that they used to sell refreshments from in cinemas.. there’s an idea…!

Houns

But it might take off

kayak23

A walking desk pictured last Tuesday.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d imagine you’d want it to be versatile, so you could sit down at times for a rest? Is that possible?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think it would work only if you had the speed set very slowly. To the extent that it is more like it keeps you legs moving and helps with that horrible standing feeling (that you don’t get if walking).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Or just use voice dictation.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d imagine you’d want it to be versatile, so you could sit down at times for a rest? Is that possible?

Well, in the half of this idea that is serious, I’d get a standing desk that could be lowered and a slimline treadmill that could be moved and replaced with a chair:

In the half that isn’t, I’d set up an electric wheelchair if I wanted to sit down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, they are a thing, this woman likes hers:

mrchrispy

guy at work has one and does teams calls while on it…..he looks like a bellend.

nbt
    Houns

Semi-serious answer now, what about a standing desk and use one of those stepper machine things

darthpunk
    Free Member

Well, they are a thing, this woman likes hers:

Turns off treadmill at the start of the video

molgrips
    Free Member

Semi-serious answer now, what about a standing desk and use one of those stepper machine things

Maybe. I wanted to walk or at least stand, I think it’d be better for tight hip flexors. Same reason I wouldn’t want to cycle.

tonyd

Someone I work with also has one. Seems to work for him, but if he uses it while on zoom calls he reminds me of a power-walking corporate bellend (it probably helps that he is American!).

What you really need is a giant hamster wheel, you could bring services in/out via the axle, on which you can mount a monitor and laptop stand. Attach a dynamo and you can start saving on electricity bills as well.

Edit: Forget mounting everything on the axle, it’ll be off your centre of gravity. Some form of wall mount would probably be better.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Personally I’d rather take a break and go for a proper walk / run / bike even it’s only for 10 – 20 minutes.

toby1

Using a balance cushion keep me mobile in the sense I constantly need to re-balance while at my standing desk. I’m not sure about tight hips, but my calves get tired later in the day as do my feet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or just use voice dictation

Surely you’d just get your assistant to take a memo?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.