Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone traveling abroad?
  • CountZero

You may want to think about what luggage you take – a carry-on might be your best option!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10929877/Airport-PR-departments-battle-best-new-euphemisms-anarchy.html

And yes, I know it’s the Daily Wail website, but I’m pretty certain this info might transcend that.

13thfloormonk

We were blessed with almost entirely delay free travel back and forward between Edinburgh and Palma this week, but I did notice a small baggage mountain forming at Edinburgh…

5lab

I nearly always travel hand baggage only unless I take a bike or a surfboard. Heading to Sao Tome tomorrow, 4 flights to get there 😭

matt_outandabout

Anyone traveling abroad?

Yes.
    On a ferry.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We’re currently abroad, Southern Spain. Due to travel back 25th with Bryanair, who may or may not be on strike so we may be stuck in Malaga for however long.
    I.
    Don’t.
    Care.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Just back from Ibiza. There was a slightly long queue for check in. No other issues.

sadexpunk

off to crete a week on monday with easyjet from luton. hopefully.

mates just back from crete with jet2, 3 and a half hour delay at heraklion and 2 hrs waiting for luggage at stansted. sadly i think we’d settle for that right now :-/

oldtennisshoes

Made a policy decision only to fly with hand luggage this summer. It’s quite liberating not being able to take too much stuff.

phil5556

Made a policy decision

Policy at work or do you have policy & procedures in your home life too? 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Made a policy decision only to fly with hand luggage this summer. It’s quite liberating not being able to take too much stuff.

That’ll depend on where you’re going & how long for Shirley?
    2 weeks somewhere hot with a few bits & bobs?
    Please explain.

Edit. Oh hang on, by hand luggage you mean the biggest case you can get in the overhead locker right?
    Yeah I could maybe do that, but if everyone did there’d be no room for everyone’s cases.
    My Mrs couldn’t, she has to take a whole wardrobe, so she’s got plenty of choice & ‘just in case I need it’ situations.

BillMC

Stuck in Malaga? Tapeo el Cervantes and La Tranca are a must.

bensales
    Free Member

Just got back from a two week business trip to the YouEssAy. Out of the six flights I’ve been on, once the first couple of groups had boarded, everyone was getting their carryons gate checked. Simply because people take the piss with their carryons.

I just make sure I’ve got some undies in my laptop bag, as well as all my paperwork and a credit card and check my luggage. Can’t be arsed dragging it round airports and running the gauntlet of actually getting overhead bin space. Especially as the spot under the seat in front is for my legs, not my laptop bag.

fossy

Not bothering at all until this is mess is sorted out. I don’t go on holiday to stress about check in, passport control etc.

We’ve a static caravan in N Wales so using that more again this year. Week off now in N Wales, but doing a couple of nights B&B in Cardigan. Going Dolphin spotting on Tues, then back to N Wales Weds evening.

igm

Last flew January 2019.  Personal choice (assisted by global pandemics of course) but I’d much rather drive than fly for a good number of reasons.

Edukator
    Free Member

Train booked to Germany, Brompton once we’re there. Only about 12h more travel time to keep my carbon footprint for the year down.

devash
    Free Member

Flying from Madrid to Newcastle via Heathrow mid-August to see family but not stressing too much about it. Going with BA and there’s multiple flights per day on all legs, plus codeshares with Iberia so worst case scenario is we get bumped back onto the next flight. We used to do Madrid – Manchester direct but Manchester Airport got progressively worse over the years and IMHO its a bit of an ordeal to use. Bad design, horrible security, crap facilities. Can’t imagine how bad its got now with all the staffing issues.

oldtennisshoes

Policy at work or do you have policy & procedures in your home life too? 😳

I’m not talking about having them written down in a manual, but there are conventions, agreements and understandings about what we do and how we do them. Why wouldn’t you? 😬

Edit. Oh hang on, by hand luggage you mean the biggest case you can get in the overhead locker right?
    Yeah I could maybe do that, but if everyone did there’d be no room for everyone’s cases.

Mmmm – maybe the airlines think of that and have rules about bag sizes and processes around how many spaces they sell for those bags?

andy5390

Flew back from Corfu to Newcastle, just over a week ago with just hand luggage. Chuckled to myself as I walked past everyone waiting for suitcases – 3 flights at once, place was rammed.

Picked up my next door neighbours a week later, same Corfu flight, and it was 1.5 hours from landing to walking through customs.

Edit:

Mmmm – maybe the airlines think of that and have rules about bag sizes and processes around how many spaces they sell for those bags?

They do, but checking hand luggage size/weight is easily bypassed if you check in online, and go straight to the departure lounge when you get to the airport

stuart_c
    Free Member

A slight tangent of this subject, has anyone had July/August flights cancelled? With news in recent days of “pro-active” cancellations to stop the last minute madness has anyone been on the receiving end it yet? Basically, has anyone been notified or would you not find out until much closer?

oldtennisshoes

We had an early July flight cancelled about a month ago, which I’ve managed to work around. I’m keeping everything crossed there’ll be no more disruptions. Of course we have insurance, but I’m also swapping accommodation for bookings that can be cancelled up until check in. It’s a bit of a lottery.

oldtennisshoes

They do, but checking hand luggage size/weight is easily bypassed if you check in online, and go straight to the departure lounge when you get to the airport.

There are usually checks at the gate though?

andy5390

At my wife’s insistence, my hand luggage was larger than I was comfortable with, and it was just small enough for the overhead storage. There’s no doubt in my mind it wouldn’t have dropped into one of the “size checking” frame things they have

The checks I went through were

Security – boarding pass check

X-ray – what it says on the tin

Passport control – just a passport check

Boarding gate – Boarding pass and passport

At no point did anyone question the size/weight of the case I had.

Obviously not a good thing, as it could easily get out of hand

oldtennisshoes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61862788

😬

Not much point us only taking hand luggage if the flights get cancelled because of an inability to deal with other people’s checked luggage.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just take a hand luggage if you are travelling to SE Asia or far east why not just buy your clothing there as they are cheap as chips. Much more suitable for the weather too. Other items are all available from the shops or hotels. Then when you leave you can donate them to the local charity shops after you wash them.

I could not even wear my jeans in the far east as it was baking hot. Even shorts bought in the UK were too warm. If you have Keen leather sandals bad idea as your feet will sweat and better off wearing local sandals or the non leather version of Keen Sandals. Also if you are wearing your “plastic”(non-cotton) t-shirt you will feel like being cling filmed with your nipples clearly visible like in wet t-shirt contest.

cchris2lou

On the plane now flying back to France. Arrived friday at stansted and passport control was about 1 hour. Today went straight though but nowhere to seat and wait and places to eat mega busy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.