Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Anyone taken their car in for the VW emissions fix?
  • Garry_Lager

Have the motor booked in today for an emissions fix – it’s just a software update on a seat exeo, that we’ll prob drive into the ground.

Has anyone noticed any difference after the fix? Or has anyone just swerved it entirely?
    It’s not a story I’ve followed so I don’t really know the details – I’d be inclined to say bollox to it and not bother, tbh, but if my car’s egregiously violating emission levels then obv it needs sorting out.

stevie750

My work mate got his golf done, he hasn’t noticed any difference.

If you don’t get it done you won’t get your free gift 🙂

stumpy01

A bloke at work (a really pedantic physicist) has got an Exeo with the 170 version of the 2 litre.
    He rang them up & asked for some kind of data & evidence that the performance/fuel consumption etc. won’t be messed up by the fix. They wouldn’t provide anything. He also wanted some kind of reassurance that it wasn’t going to cause damage over a prolonged period that won’t be covered by Seat. Apart from saying it won’t cause any problems, they couldn’t make any assurances, so he didn’t bother with it.

We’ve had the letter for our Ibiza which has got the 140 version of that engine.
    We haven’t gone with it.
    I did a search and found a forum full of people complaining that the 140 2 litre ran a lot rougher after the ‘fix’, rattled a lot more at low revs & seemed to have lost torque at the lower end of the rev range.

DezB
    Free Member

I posted in the thread ‘ere about it – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-vw-is-offering-diesel-owners-in-the-usa/page/3#post-7975824

(Summary: no noticeable difference whatsoever)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My boss had had his Passat done a few weeks ago – he’s noticed no drop in performance and but has noticed an increase in mpg.

DezB
    Free Member

but has noticed an increase in mpg

Increase? How has he noticed this?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I got mine done when it went for service a while back (140 2 litre). No difference that I can tell.

Mean mpg before 52.82 (n=32), mean mpg after 53.25 (n=3). I record miles per tank at fill up (cos I’m like that).

I got a free thermal mug that doesn’t, a pen and a keyring with logos on. woo.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So they’re going to improve emissions with no detrimental effect on MPG AND performance just by a software drop with no hardware changes? WOW. Makes you wonder if they can deliver good emissions, MPG and performance all at the same time that they fiddled the results in the first place. Maybe it is a software placebo. Or it’s making improvements in an area of the driving envelope that people never drive in just for the purposes of demonstration.

wwaswas

if they can deliver good emissions, MPG and performance all at the same time that they fiddled the results in the first place

this.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I don’t think that it improves emissions at all, it just stops it cheating in the exams.

But then I’ve not seen any baby robins recently…

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve got an Audi with the 2.0 engine and since the update MPG has dropped by a fair bit, probably 10%.

I’m going off some older figures from when I first had the car and worked the MPG out brim to brim and a recent one brim to brim. Obviously it’s a bit colder now which will take in to account some of that percentage but it is generally down.

typer
    Free Member

I’ve had my 2.0l 177 A6 done, not noticed any difference what so ever.

wooderson

Had it done to our Exeo 2.0tdi 140 in September. Can’t say I’ve noticed any tangible difference in performance, but I’m sure the MPG for town driving has gotten marginally worse. The overall range seems to average out with some long motorway stints – perhaps a fall from 700 to 650 from a tank.

I’m not too bothered as I’ve be making use of RevoTechnik’s 25% off Black Friday offer for a Stage One ECU flash.

molgrips
    Free Member

Obviously it’s a bit colder now which will take in to account some of that percentage

Winter mpg is usually 10% down so you may not have a problem after all.

globalti
    Free Member

Local SEAT dealer is coming next Monday to collect Mrs Gti’s Ibiza from my office. The service manager has admitted to me that all they will be doing is to remove the “fix” from the software. Performance won’t change.

ChrisHeath

I’ve not had mine (2 litre 140) done yet. I’ve told the dealer that I’m going to wait for some more real world feedback.

There are some reports on Honest John about vehicles with the same engine suffering from “clatter” at low revs, but I haven’t seen much else online. Suggests that either people aren’t getting it done, or there aren’t many issues.

wool

Golf GTD here and the result is more clatter at low revs and reduced MPG roughly 4/5 no loss in performance.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Had my 61 plate Blue Motion Passat done (150 2 litre). Absolutely fine. My local VW dealership were very good to be fair. Only criticism was that they now constantly tout for my custom for servicing (even though I explained I use a great reliable local garage).

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe it is a software placebo.

I reckon so. Especially for those who have noticed a difference.

My mpg has gone down by about 1mpg – but I put that to it being a much shorter sample time (2 months v 2 years)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Oh forget to say they offered a free valet on the car. A really good job on it too I might add!

yetidave
    Free Member

done the fix on a seat altea 2.0 140, no noticeable difference in performance, no change in fuel cons, the fan runs on more now than before so its maybe running warmer, but it might just be the thermostat sticking. no thermal cup, or pen, or valet. I think ive been done. 🙁

typer
    Free Member

Just to add, I also got a valet and gift bag with Audi merchandise in it.

DezB
    Free Member

no thermal cup, or pen, or valet.

Not even a packet of Tic Tacs?

somouk
    Free Member

I got a valet and a bag full of car cleaning goodies out of it as well, seems Audi are trying to keep their customers sweet.

DezB
    Free Member

I think Skoda owners got an umbrella. Useful when you’re standing around waiting for the AA man to finish 😆

Nico
    Free Member

I think Skoda owners got an umbrella. Useful when you’re standing around waiting for the AA man to finish

Too much information.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I had my Tiguan done three days ago and have not noticed anything different other than the fan stayed on for a while when I stopped after a 6 mile journey this morning. The first time I’ve ever noticed the fan stay on after switching the engine off on this vehicle.
    I got half the valet, inside spotless, couldn’t do the outside because the jet wash was frozen. Gift of key ring, coffee mug and pen in a presentation box. One compartment in box empty don’t know what should have been there. Did I hear correctly that in the States owners were given $8000?
    My letter, from VW, said the work done was guaranteed for the “service life of the vehicle” though no one at VW could tell me what that means!

globalti
    Free Member

My brother in the USA was bunged $1000 to stop him joining a class action against VW.

DezB
    Free Member

One compartment in box empty don’t know what should have been there

TicTacs? Come on, you did get the TicTacs??

wwaswas

Too much information.

*sniggers*

twicewithchips
    Free Member

haha – I think that’s where they put the key if you buy a new car isn’t it?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I thought VWs had already had their ’emissions’ fixed, there was a big hoo-ha about it a year ago.

jimw
    Free Member

I thought VWs had already had their ’emissions’ fixed, there was a big hoo-ha about it a year ago.

VAG are still working on fixes. My car ‘may’ be fixed next spring according to a letter I had a month ago.

Each model has to be certified seperately I think. Mine is a 2 litre 170 tdi 4×4 estate with manual gearbox- not really large volume sales so at the back of the queue?

windydave13
    Free Member

Some discussion about it on the Seat forum. Lot of folk saying no issues but some chat about the fix causing the throttle body to coke up

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432214&page=3

CountZero

I think Skoda owners got an umbrella. Useful when you’re standing around waiting for the AA man to finish

Not entirely sure what the implication is there, but the only time I’ve had to call out the AA to my Octavia the weather was bright and sunny, and the bloke was very prompt, despite my being out in the remoter parts of South Devon.
    The issue was a dead battery, hardly surprising, since it had been there since I bought the car, back around 2005, it’s a 51 plate, and it was the OEM battery.

grey

I had my Skoda Yeti 2.0l done in October.
    The engine didn’t feel as free revving after the tune, now I don’t even notice the difference.
    As for mpg I’ve no idea, I don’t keep a close eye on it as after 20years of Land Rover ownership anything more than 25mpg is a win 😆 .
    Maybe a coincidence but four days after it was modded the engine went in to limp home mode on the M90 on the way back from the Fair City Enduro.
    It cleared it’s self the next day, then a couple of days later the engine management light come on for a couple of days then cleared it’s self.
    It’s now been fine ever since, fingers crossed.
    As for gifts I got a umbrella to stay dry when it breaks down and a thermal might to keep me warm under the brolly.
    Oh and my rear heated window has now stopped working, so my hands won’t even be warm when I’m pushing it 😆 .
    The 4×4 didn’t even get me unstuck at the Falkirk Funduro last week, i was one of only two cars to be towed out :lol:.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer – Member

Sorry, should’ve put a winky.. 😉

J.o.k.e. a.l.e.r.t.

totalshell

latest letter we had from skoda was that they were still working on a fix for the 1.4 fabia.. my pal who lives in the states got a full refund on his golf and cash for signing up to not join in a class lawsuit.. still a brolly will be nice..

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Just had it done today, coffee then hire car for the day, gift box and free valet. On the way home no noticeable difference in performance, so far so good! Car is a 2.0 TDI 140 golf.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you own the car dont let them wash it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Anyone taken their car in for the VW emissions fix?’ is closed to new replies.