Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone suffer with Ganglions ??
  • renton
    Free Member

Just back from the hospital this afternoon after having a big lump on my wrist drained !!
    Apparently called a ganglion and are quite common with people that have weak wrists or previous wrist injuries??

The doc said once its drained it might fill up over the course of 2 to 3 months and if so it will need removing by surgery !! Its already swollen up to the size it was before 🙁

Anyone else got or had them ?

gazc
    Free Member

i had one on my little finger, right in the lower joint on the side between next finger. docs and consultants wouldnt do anything with it as would cause more damage to remove than leave it (couldnt be popped so would have had to be cut out) and no amoun of crushing would pop it due to tricky location. left me with a very sore hand for a few months till it went on its own accord. stopped riding for a bit too 🙁 switched to esi thick grips helped this as i couldn’t ride for more than about 20mins with old lock ons! luckily not come back but could easily do, swear by the esi thickys now 🙂

Drac

They use to them with a heavy book.

renton
    Free Member

Had one on my left wrist that went of its own accord after 4 months … this one on my right wrist is still here after 6 ??

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

had one on my foot that disappeared after I broke that foot playing rugby.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my girlfriend has had them in the past, and they always go on thier own. the latest one lasted about 4 weeks and just reduced, then dissapeared.

PaulMc
    Free Member

Had one on my wrist some years ago. Bupa consultant said it might simply return if drained but I opted to have it done anyway as it interfered with typing. He injected a steroid to soften the content then drained it with a syringe. Whole procedure didn’t take very long. Hasn’t returned.

lemonysam
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJFdx1fPLlA[/video]

davidrussell
    Free Member

i have one on my left hand after breaking my hand years ago. seems to come and go, but my mum said to hit it with a bible! dont really fancy that.

Drac

Oooh just discovered the one I had in my neck as a kid is still there the one on wrist popped years ago, with some assistance.

oldnick

I’ve got one in the crease between my palm and ring finger.

It was aspirated (drained off with a syringe) about 4 years ago and has taken until now to return, the thought of someone hitting it with a bible makes me wince as the thing is crazily sensitive.

Amazing how often I bump the thing, can’t wait to see the Doc again even though I bloody hate needles.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

Had one for about 2 years on my left wrist, I’d broken it a few years earlier playing football. It went after i took a tumble in a park in York in torrential rain and smacked my wrist on a stone slab. Not come back after 3 years. Old wives tale that you hit them with a bible. They supposedly go after a while on their own accord.

renton
    Free Member

This is mine ….

Just taken the pic now, it was completely flat at 3 o clock this afternoon !!

cybicle
    Free Member

I had one recently, caused a fair bit of discomfort, compounded by tennis elbow! I used a neoprene wrist support, which helped a lot, and it seems to have gone down now (was barely noticeable visually).

The traditional method was to hit it with a bible (or other suitably weighty tome), and apparently this did work, but I didn’t fancy doing that!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hit it, Hit it, Hit it, Hit it, Hit it!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Had one on my right hand middle finger. it caused the nail to grow deformed and loose feeling in the end of my finger. Had it surgically removed. Seems I have another growing on the index finger on the same hand in the same joint………….bugger….

renton
    Free Member

lemonysam… ive hit it about 3 times before.. made no difference whatso ever.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

If you gently rub it any fluid in it could disperse, assuming there is still a hole in it from draining.

or alternatively ‘Hit it, hit it, hit it’

lemonysam
    Free Member

Hit it harder!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say I ‘suffer’ from it, but yes, I have one on the top of my foot. I think it arrived after wearing some ill-fitting shoes in my teens and I’ve had it for years. It’s completely hard, and painless so I just put up with it. Heard the old ‘hit it with a book’ thing before, but thought I’d just end up breaking my foot before anything happened to the lump 🙁

allthegear
    Free Member

If you are going to hit it, DEFINITELY FILM IT!!!!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I twatted a mates on his wrist with a rolling pin. Wife and I were crying with laughter. He had tears in his eyes. Maybe I swung it a bit too hard, but it worked and never came back !!

mintimperial

Before you do decide to wallop it…

My mum thought she had one on her finger and hit it. It didn’t go away, but started hurting like hell and weeping goop, ick. Turns out it wasn’t a normal ganglion (not sure what it is exactly), and that the only fix for it now is to fuse the joint it’s attached to.

st

Got one on my left wrist.

It was first diagnosed by my GP a couple of years ago who said I could leave it as it wasn’t causing an issue or opt for a referral under my BUPA cover for drainign or removal.

Decided not to bother for the time being. Every now and then I hit it hard with a long ruler which stings a bit but it generally disappears for an indeterminate period of time and gradually returns.

It’s there now but not too big and even when at full size only causes mild irritation depending on the watch that I wear.

davidrussell
    Free Member

all this talk of hitting it with a bible/ruler/brick is making me squirm! it doesn’t hurt as such if you hit it but its not a nice feeling…

st

Yes but once you hit it the discomfort is inevitable and then just passes

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my right wrist. Had an MRI and it was confirmed as a ganglion. They advised me not to have it removed as it would prob give me more grief than leaving it.
    When it gets bigger, I usually hit it with something, TV remote, hammer, sometimes rolling on a hard wall does the job. Always seems to come back within a few months.

konagirl
    Free Member

I’ve also had ganglions in both wrists for years. They get bigger and smaller, never disappear but also never cause enough of a problem to do anything about it. I was told to keep rotating and moving the wrist, particularly if it pops.

stewartc
    Free Member

Had one on my left hand (near the wrist) for over 20 years now.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone suffer with Ganglions ??’ is closed to new replies.