Anyone suffer from a 'neuroma'?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone suffer from a 'neuroma'?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone suffer from a 'neuroma'?
  • matther01

Developed a real pain in my foot around the metatarsal area and can only think its a neuroma. Anyone else have one and was it easy to fix with a cortisone injection?

Dasha

Hi, I had one of these and got it sorted with orthotics and anti- inflamatories. This is often caused by poorly fitting shoes. See your chiropodist.

jonjones262

I think I’m just getting over a Morton’s neuroma.

Pain between the 2 smallest toes. Was very hard to walk for a while.
    Marathon training has ground to a halt

Premier Icon Ming the Merciless
    Subscriber

Mrs M had it, cortisone injection worked for about 4 weeks then back as bad as ever. Eventually had the nerve cut out of her foot (very painful) and it was a long recovery.

matther01

Thanks folks…GPs it is then…and better less pointy ill fitting work shoes.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Pretty sure I have one, though an orthopod disagreed a few years ago. Classic symptoms, though the very very acute onset made him think it wasn’t mortons
    I have very flat feet; insoles with good metatarsal arch support make quite a difference

Kuco

Morton’s Neuroma is usually between the 3rd and 4th metatarsal and in rare cases between the 4th and 5th. Neuromas usually show up with ultra sound or MRI scan.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Yep, had one cut out a yr or so back, I posted on here about it,so will come up in a search. Still hurts most of the time 🙁

jo_h

Iainc, that doesn’t sound good…I was going to ask you what you thought about treatment options available, having searched on here a few weeks back. I have an ultrasound to confirm my docs diagnosis in two weeks. Been off the bike for a month now, currently researching the treatment options, hoping to get away without any of the injections or the surgery, but regularly stopped in my tracks just walking round the office. With hindsight I should have gone to the docs a long time ago, having to take several 20 minute breaks in the marathon champs made me realise I couldn’t ignore it any more.

Ming, how is Mrs M post surgery if you don’t mind me asking?

matther01

Think I may have flat feet too scardeypants…which I believe also brings it on. I’ve had it in both feet oddly…but can often go months if not years apart without the pain recurring.

This time it’s particularly painful and seems to have come on during the hottest weather…perhaps with my foot swelling swelling in the heat.

Where did you get those insoles?

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

jo_h, matther. Mine developed a few yrs after some other foot surgery (toe fusion) and was probably related to change in gait from that. Basically started as shooting electric pain beneath 3/4 mets which would abate after a few days. Had 3 rounds of steroid injections which did little, so eventaullay had surgery 15 months ago. It was done in a BUPA hospital under a general. Very achy for a few days, then hobbling around in a big blue shoe for a few weeks. I actually got back on the road bike after 3 weeks for some gentle rides and by 6 weeks was pretty much fine. However 4 months post surgery it started hurting again – been for various prods and scans – sometimes the nerves can grow back and can be more painful than original symptoms, but in my case they don’t think it’s this. They reckon it’s scarring affecting how the toes work, such that toe 3 is a bit hammered shape. I now wear a silicone pad that was made by podiatrist that slots between and under toes and takes away most of the pain. Need to stick with wide shoes. I also wear custom orthotics all the time when off the bike, more due to hypermobile knees. On the bike I wear Spesh shoes with the blue support insole, which is quite close in shape to my orthotics.

Fewel free to mail me if you ant any more thoughts on it, cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone suffer from a 'neuroma'?’ is closed to new replies.