Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone successfully paired an Ikea Tradfri Smart bulb to Hue?
  • dmorts

Quite a few sources online say this is possible, but wondered if anyone on here has used an Ikea Tradfri bulb with a Hue bridge/hub?

I think I have a Gen 2 or 3 Hue bridge/hub. Apparently only the latest bulbs from Ikea will pair. Last night I tried with some bulbs we got last year but they didn’t pair. Just wondering if I get some new bulbs will they work “out of the box”. I don’t have an Ikea hub, but have some of the dimmer switches. I suppose worst case I just end up with a £9 bulb if I open one and try it.

dc2.0

Yes. I can’t remember the exact detail but it wasn’t hard. I think I had to cycle the power to the bulb 5 times to put it into pairing mode

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pairing light bulbs? Jeez.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockhopper
    Free Member

You need the newer square hub rather than the older round one to be sure of being able to do it.

simon_g

I needed the hub and dimmer but this was way back – I’ve heard newer firmware should be OK.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tradfri is probably worth trawling through for info.

tonyf1
    Free Member

Yes. Bulbs must be 1.2.214 or later which if you bought last year should be fine. Hue bridge must be square one. If you’ve previously paired to a Tradfri Gateway remove it via the tradfri app.

To pair turn the lights turn off and on at least 6 times. You will likely see the bulb brighten dip. Only then start searching via the Hue App. If you start searching before the 6x on off it won’t find them so make sure it’s after before searching. The bulb will show as Dimmable Light One.

PS You’ll see instructions for light needs to be one mm from bridge. This is BS. As long as they in the same house the bridge will find the bulb.

dmorts

Great info thanks. Where is the version number so I can see if my current ones are compatible?

tonyf1
    Free Member

The box you’ve probably thrown away. If you only bought bulbs without a gateway or pairing device just give it a try. If you’ve got the other kit add it to tradfri gateway via the app and it will tell you. If you do latter you must delete bulb from gateway before attempting to pair with Hue.

BTW you can update firmware using tradfri gateway if bulb firmware older than 1.2.214.

dmorts

Thanks. I actually just came across the boxes!
    However, someone kindly sent me a PM on this and I managed to get the current bulbs I have paired last night! They’d joined just to send the message it seems

I used the Hue Essentials App on Android and the Touchlink function. You have to hold the bulbs close to the hub for that. I wasn’t having any success with the official Hue app. But once paired with Hue Essentials App, the IKEA lights appear in the official App.

dmorts

Update: Recently bought an IKEA smart socket for the Christmas tree lights and was able connect that to Hue too. Again I used the Hue Essentials App

5lab

would you have been able to pair it without the essentials app? I’ve got one of those plugs for the same reason but my hue hub cant find it, I figured the firmware might need updating

dmorts

The Essentials App can activate TouchLink which I think the official app doesn’t. Didn’t try the socket with the official app. Also I bought a socket about 6 months ago and this wouldn’t pair with Hue at all. One purchased this month worked straight away so seems there could be a firmware issue.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone successfully paired an Ikea Tradfri Smart bulb to Hue?’ is closed to new replies.