Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone successfully managed to inform a farmer of a problem on his/her land?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Part of a fence is damaged along a local trail, which is letting the new lambykins get out and then not be able to get back in. I had to rescue two today but I think it’s only going to happen again.

Can I look on the land registry or something, or is there another way? Do they appreciate such things generally?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ask a local farmer. If it’s not their land, they’ll know who’s it is

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Go to nearest farm house and knock on door, tell the person who answers.
    They will then do one of two things, thank you for telling them and go out and repair the fence or thank you, tell the owner and the owner will go and fix the fence.
    Why do you think they wouldn’t appreciate being told that their living is escaping?

andyl
    Free Member

^ that. Farmers will know their neighbouring farmers. Failing that put a rain protected note on the gate that looks to be the one that gets used the most. The farmer should be checking his/her sheep every day.

bearnecessities

Why do you think they wouldn’t appreciate being told that their living is escaping?

‘cos they might shout “Gerrof my lamb”?

SaxonRider

I was out walking on the moors around Bacup, and found a lamb with its head caught between two posts. The poor thing couldn’t move, and had laid down as if to die.

Anyway, my cousin and I desperately tried to shift the posts, but they wouldn’t budge.

So we spent the next two hours walking to every farmhouse we could see until we finally found one who knew whose land it was, and went out on his ATV to rescue it.

Anyway, your question just prompted me to tell that little story. I never did learn what happened in the end, but I suspect what captainsasquatch has said is the best course of action.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

‘cos they might shout “Gerrof my lamb”?

The assumption being it is Cardiff way? 😛

Ambrose

I once rescued a drowning sheep trapped in a bog on the Monk’s Trod in Mid Wales. Having hauled it out and fed it some apple and energy bar I curtailed my ride and headed for the farmhouse to let the farmer know. The weather was getting pretty horrid by now.
    Knocking on the door, the farmer opened it dressed in a teeshirt and holding a cup of steaming tea. I stood there cold and wet in the rain-lashed farmyard as he thanked me and then closed the door.

Could it be that sheep are not worth very much?

chickenman

You could tell them that half their income (in the form of EU subsidies) is about to vanish and that they should probably have voted Remain… 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I once rescued a drowning sheep trapped in a bog on the Monk’s Trod in Mid Wales.

That’s weird. I also did exactly that in that same place!

Given that you hauled it out it was probably ok on its own, I doubt he needed to do anything else. The one I rescued up there wandered off and started eating grass.

timber

Ambrose – Definitely worth something, but also relatively resilient.
    The manky ones always survive.

Any local working farm will know whose it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright thanks folks.

There is a farm nearby who are pretty approachable and friendly, and they are probably the closest people anyway. Will try there.

molgrips
    Free Member

One of the two farms it could be has a facebook page, posted on there.

welshfarmer

Well done Molgrips. I am happy if anyone tells me if a sheep is stuck/laying on its back/dead etc. Round here though the farm structure is such that it is pretty obvious which fields belong to which farm.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

When cows appeared on the footpath that overlooks our house I looked on google maps, found the name of the farm, then went on yell.com and found the phone number. Ahh yes, that’ll be the dairy herd was the response followed shortly by a lot of mooing as the cows were herded back into the field.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll be paranoid now though.. the first one must’ve been stuck for ages.. I watched him run around bleating for his mam and eventually find her then drink for ages wagging his little tail… I think mam wasn’t particularly bothered as he wasn’t actually that far away. Either that or the buggers don’t give much of a shit.

Actually on the subject of cows, the well used busy trail leading down past the railway vents towards Cefn Onn park was occupied by a decent herd of the buggers that were roaming around the woods. Not sure if you’d let cows into random woodland deliberately.. perhaps should’ve checked then too.

welshfarmer

Ha, we were using that trail yesterday on the BMBO orienteering event out of Rudry. I didn’t get to ride it as I dropped down the really rough zigzags just to the west of there and couldn’t face climbing back up again so went round.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a classic descent. From the ridgeway it goes down to woods just above the railway cutting then above the tennis courts (after which it’s named). On the Patriot it’s so tempting to be highly irresponsible given the numbers of dog walkers coming up!

welshfarmer

It was the first time I have ridden there. Maybe we can have a Single track ride around that area when the weather improves. Looked to be masses of potential

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve saved two sheep (a rigwelter and one with its head stuck in a wire fence) last year we found one stuck between two farmers’ fences that I couldn’t get to but fortunately I was with my teeny daughter who managed to squeeze in and help lift it over.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, there is. Been thinking of planning one for a while. You can link it up with as much of Wales as you like too. For a decent trip out you can go from there over to the Warren then through Caerphilly up onto the Sirhowy ridgway, down into the country park, back over Machen.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone successfully managed to inform a farmer of a problem on his/her land?’ is closed to new replies.