Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone successfully geared up a trek SS 69er?
  • Mal-ec
    Free Member

Getting too old for this singlespeeding malarky, but love the ride of the Trek 69er + wondered about gearing it up.

Had a quick go of an alfined one but that weight out back killed the feel of it.

Anyone played with different dropouts + chain device up front?

fontmoss
    Free Member

get a geared trek 69er?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

The thought had occurred, but the geometry was different IIRC? Rode one way back + it felt like a different bike. Trying to hang on to my favorite frame, so just wondered if anyone had managed a successful bodge?

If I’m going to have to sell the bike + start again would probly explore the newer 29ers coming out.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I loved the trek ss 69er but have to say superfly ss is even better 😀

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Interesting. Thats exactly the sort of comment thats going to get me in trouble 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

it’s a bike that merits some trouble..

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Have you sold that tag line to Trek yet?

fontmoss
    Free Member

lol

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Have you got a picture of your dropouts?

you can pretty much put gears on any frame going. where there a will and a dremel theres a way.

If not get an alfine.

timbur
    Free Member

SS – sliding dropouts on the 69er SSYou might be able to bodge a DMR gear dropout in I guess with some head scratching and a beer fuel evening in the shed.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

First to hand if not fancing the geared hub is a old style saint hub/mech assembly as the mech mounting to the axle not the droupout.

or speak to these guys to see if they can get a hold of a dropout that fits the bolt holes on your frame:

Ceeway

Or send you drive side dropout to BETD and ask them to copy it with a mech hanger attached,

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member
    Mal-ec
    Free Member

Thats really helpful, thanks Shep.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

No probs, I usually send bikes the other way but have come across some gizmo’s in my time.

Let me know if you get stuck with anything, but there is no reason to change a frame you like.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone successfully geared up a trek SS 69er?’ is closed to new replies.