Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Anyone still use old Marzocchi Bombers
  • stevd
    Free Member

Still using a set of 2002 MSC 100 on a rocky mountain hardtail.
    Was in the garage today removing them in preparation for service…. Any hints, tips, advice before I strip them???

sillysilly
    Free Member

2000 Z4 Flys going strong on my hard tail. Better than anything until my 2015 Pike’s came along 🙂

LardLover
    Free Member

Yip, still got a pair. Only used for ‘owning’ nowadays though.

sharkattack

I had these for a while. I bought them NOS from eBay USA when the pound was worth something.
    I was planning a retro build like an LTS DH or a Sintessi Bazooka but I definitely just sold them when I was skint!

I wish I had them now, even if just for a wall ornament above my desk.

trumpton
    Free Member

unlucky – i remember those Le Toys. I loved them. Interesting there’s a fair few of us with them still. ; )

greyspoke
    Free Member

A friend is still riding my old Z150s.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What are Marzocchi’s modern forks like? Never really see much about them

Unfortunately Marzocchi, through poor QC, managed to screw up the reputation of the more recent forks, which should have been great. I bought a set of NCR 350 Ti 160mm coil forks in 2015 and the bushes were too tight so they had a lot of stiction and the coating wore off the stanchions. I received a set of 2017 warranty replacements (170mm) from Windwave which were gorgeous and the problems were sorted but unlike MRP they only came with one spring option and they were just a bit oversprung for me at less than 12st. That was a response I think to long term moans that Marz coil forks were underspung. I sold those and then picked up a set of NCR 350 air forks in a Sports Pursuit deal which are just post the Fox buyout and they are superb.

I have a set of 44 RC3 Ti 140s that I’ll be selling soon when I split a 26″ bike.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yeah I missed a set of 44’s through dithering,

I ordered a 26″ Nicolai so I could use 44 RC3Tis when everything was going 27.5 (stupid idea financially as it’s impossible to shift now). Loved the way they rode, except on super steep stuff where they sat too far into the travel, but I buried the front end a few times and was amazed at how good the damping and bottom out was on them.

OwenP

I’ve got some 2004 bomber somethingorothers on the pub/pump track trailstar, which just keep working despite no effort on my part!

I’ve also got some 2011 55rc3 Ti forks in the garage – I just don’t have a 26 inch bike to put them on! I’ve kept them because I think they are the best forks I’ve ever owned, with a hope I could find a use for them, sadly looking less and less likely. If I could, I’d use them in preference to my modern Fox 34 FIT4 forks, but without a wheel size miracle,that isn’t going to happen….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

fancy selling those bads boys OwenP?

OwenP

Haha unforeseen stealth ad potential right there…😉

I’ve been hopefully holding on to them with half an eye to building a 26” long travel hardtail, but it just hasn’t happened!

PM me if you’re keen and I’ll give them a once-over and send some photos.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve got some 2005 MXCs which are still working but have a bit of corrosion from abuse on the carrying the kids bike/salty roads. I may have to bin them as broken forks are not good, particularly with kids onboard.

I also have some 2001 Z1 BAMs which have no rebound adjusters anymore, are very scratched and have had 1 new set of bushes and 2 or 3 new sets of seals (only needed due to a scratch on the stanchions), but owing to their simplicity still work fine (well I assume they did, I loaned the bike to my neighbour last summer, need to get it back to do SSUK on this year I think!).

Also have a set of 2015 44s, which are more complex, wore through the anodising in about a month when new (Windwave sorted me with a new CSU which has been fine), and I’ve needed to service at normal rates 🙁 – plus I need to sort the travel adjust as it stopped working a couple of years ago. I think simplicity is the key to the Z1s, an oil bath/damper and a pair of springs will last a long long time compared to a load of lockouts/complicated air springs etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not the oldest Bombers in town, but my god this was a great fork (and bike for that matter)…

richard

Still using 2002 MXRs. Coil sprung, not sophisticated, but they still work. Just about, think bushings are probably near their end again, and not sure the stanchions have too much life left… Pity. Hopefully there will be something on the market we can still buy in the future when it comes to need to replace them!

philjunior
    Free Member

Unfortunately Marzocchi, through poor QC, managed to screw up the reputation of the more recent forks, which should have been great.

Indeed, far worse than my 44s were a set of 55 or 66s on a hire bike circa 2008/9 in the alps, they bottomed out 40mm early for some unknown reason!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a set of 44 RC3 Ti 140s that I’ll be selling soon when I split a 26″ bike.

I’ll be all ears when you do!

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’m still rockin’ some ’98 Z2 BAM’s and a set of’ 99 Jr T’s that I’ve just fitted new Enduro seals to. Still working as well as they ever did (which was always pretty well!).

BlobOnAStick

Bomber fan here!
    55rs model – solid but a bit unadjustable currently on the shelf
    55 RC3TI – bought second hand, never fitted them, currently on the shelf.
    55TST2 shim stack conversion and spaced down on an Orange P7
    55TST2 shim stack conversion on a Nukeproof Mega
    All mountain 1’s (I think) on my son’s bike. Whichever model these were, it was the one with the rubber bladder as part of the damping system. When they went for repair TFTuned told me they’d be months because there were so many bladder failures, so I asked them to pop in an RC2 cartridge, which they did. They said they’d be bomb-proof with the combo of RC2 and ETA cartridges. To be fair they’re 12 years old and still absolutely perfect (I’d have them in the orange in the blink of an eye but I can’t space them down)

All of them are cosmetically tatty, but i love the tune ability of each. The 55s are a bit on the porky side but that buttery smooth action is just amazing. The shim stack conversion (and the playing around with oil weights) means I’m never going to move away from 26”, I can’t believe that anything will better them.

grahamt1980

Got a couple of sets of 44rc3 ti, 2 pairs of 55rc3 ti (different years, 150mm and 170mm travel), 888rc3 ti and a set of much more modern 380r2c2 ti as well. Can’t remember which ones are on the sts in the loft. I think they are some old z1’s

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ll be all ears when you do!

Ha! Bit of a blatant stealth ad! I’ll drop you a line.

colournoise

2000 Z4s on my old Trailstar. Currently on the turbo, but get an outing in the woods a couple of times a year.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve got a few sets,

2003 Z1FRs on an old stumpy (and a pair that were on a bike that got nicked)
    2005 Z1 150s on a Dialled Bikes Kobe Ti (if I could find something shorter travel I’d swap them out, as it no-longer climbs)
    200X 66s on my SX-Trail
    200x MXRs on my GF’s bike

And yes I’m aware that all my bikes are ancient, I watched the standards go nuts/new golf approach emerge and figured I’d wait until it all calmed down again before I bought something new…

colournoise

colournoise
    2000 Z4s on my old Trailstar. Currently on the turbo, but get an outing in the woods a couple of times a year.

Forgot. Also got some 2012 44s on my BFe. It’s my ‘spare’ bike so still gets used relatively often (especially in winter).

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Anyone still use old Marzocchi Bombers’ is closed to new replies.