Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Anyone still use old Marzocchi Bombers
  • trumpton
    Free Member

The legendry Marzocchi bombers. I have 2 pairs. An MXC air 100mm travel adjusted to 80mm from 2002 and a set of drop off 140mm freeride forks from 2005. The springs on the Drop off were too heavy, so I just removed one from one side. Work perfect now. Great forks. Just get on with the job without much maintenance and are such a simple design. No doubt modern forks are better and probably alot lighter. Would be interesting to see how many people still use bombers though.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

2002 Z1 freerides on my hardtail and my FS. They are easy to maintain and the travel is wonderfully smooth but sadly the bushings are so worn they are starting to knock like a loose headset and will have to go in the bin.

highlandman
    Free Member

Marathon S coil from 2004; only the ETA function has finally died. Serviced twice and spring rate changed once at home otherwise working just fine. The finish on the sliders is a lot less gold than it used to be but they still work. Yes, quite heavy but also strong for a ‘skinny’ 30mm legged fork.

Plus a pair of @2012 Bomber 55R coil. A very different beast and one of the few models from that generation that retained the Bomber reliability.

andrewh
    Free Member

How old? Not the Z2 X-Fly I always wanted but got some 2008 66s on the big bike

trumpton
    Free Member

you can still get seals on ebay. Are these different from bushings? 2008 are old enough.

The ebay seals are expensive though and are not designed for mtbing but fit. TFT tuned were not very keen on them, but I will give them ago when I need to.

dissonance

I have a 1997/98 pair of z1. Still occasionally use them but the bike they are on is increasingly hard to keep running.

submarined
    Free Member

2005ish Dirt something on my DJ, but they’ve chucked all their oil and no idea how to fix, so probably going to have to replace them 🙁

vmgscot

Pair of 1997 ‘Z2 lights’ still operational on the occasional-when-its-dry commute bike

finbar
    Free Member

Yep – yr2000 Z3.5s on my jump hardtail and a pair of 97/98 Z1 BAMs with – unfortunately – a really short steerer I’m waiting to find a frame for.

I’ve serviced both in the past 6 months and they were immaculate inside. Stanchions more or less perfect. I don’t think either had been serviced in a decade or more.

If anyone reading this has any 26″ 66Tis they want to sell, PM me 🙂

lunge

My dad has my old set of Z3 Coil 100’s on his MTB, 2001 edition I think. They’ve never been serviced or touches bar a drop of silicon spray on the stanchions. I’m sure they’re not perfect but they work more than well enough for him.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie’s commute bike has a set of Z2 Atom 80’s on it that date from 2000. The bike probably hasn’t been ridden off road since she got her first full sus in about 2004 and I know they’ve not been touched since then. Despite that they still offer some effective suspension on road and the visible parts of the stanchion hasn’t noticably worn. They’ll have been ridden some 10’s of thousands of miles in that time i’d have thought.

Amazing things.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

They looked great as well – that’ “M” arch was just inspired

sharkattack

I went through loads of them back in the day. They were the first fork that ever did what we expect suspension to do. I rode nothing but Marzocchi for years after the Bomber came out.

I’ve still got an orange ’98 Z1 Bam in the cellar. I’ve also got a Spooky Bandwagon frame at my mother’s house. I haven’t united them yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have 2007 66 SLs on my big bike. The best thing about them is the bolt-on MX style mudguard. The only annoyance is that I cannot quite get the air spring as smooth as I like. I may try and mod it with a negative coil spring if I can be bothered.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’d still have a pair of the gold z1 duals…!

seadog101

I have some FlyLight Z4’s circa 1999 (?).
    Still work, some how.

Jordan

2006 All Mountain SL on my 2006 Stumpy. Got them used in 2008 when I built the bike. Didn’t do a thing to them other than adjust air pressure and ride, always thought they were OK but not fantastic. Never serviced them at all until late last year when I gave them a full strip down and service. Got new seals and bushings from the importer. Could only get top bushings as they had no more lowers. Didn’t need to use them in the end as I couldn’t detect any play whatsoever. Finally got my head around the various different air spring adjustments (small changes in pressure make a radical difference) and it’s like riding a different fork. Super plush! Feels nicer to me than the 2016 Pike on other halfs Mount Vision.

Edit: Also have a set of 2001 bombers on the hardtail and an identical set waiting for a frame.

mike_p
    Free Member

2004 MX Pro 120mm here, air with ETA… it seems to thrive on neglect. It went through a period of losing its air, but then healed itself! Good as gold now.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    sharkattack

There is only one Bomber. Z1 Bams from 1997

Ahem….

They weren’t called Bam until 1998 when they redesigned the lower legs using “Bomber Aerospace Material”.

Sorry.

And at the same time they lost the disc mount on the right leg because the mk1 came out when people thought double front discs might become a thing!

hardtailheaven
    Free Member

I was the warranty mechanic for marzocchi UK from 1995-98, I’m still using my z2 superflys I converted to progressive springs, the only set in the world, when you’ve got a huge parts bin to delve into its amazing what you can make, 95% original internals too

hardtailheaven
    Free Member

With the steel stanchions they are very early z1’s

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I just went with what Pinkbike says 🙂

trumpton
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I used to have a set with the double disc mount….awesome forks although I only ever had one calliper on it! Some scrote nicked it from Nottingham Uni campus in 2001 (along with the rest of my GT Zaskar). Had hope Biguns on it too!! Wonder where it is now?

bigyan
    Free Member

I still have a set of 2003 DJ3s on a bike.

sharkattack

Wonder where it is now?

Er, is this it?

eBay

tall_martin

2007 z1 anniversaries on my hardtail

I serviced them for the first time in a couple of years yesterday and now they are notchy.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong or how to fix it properly?

Cheers

xl orange

ndthornton
    Free Member

Er, is this it?

eBay

Its the same frame and forks!
    Don’t recognise the other bits on it though
    Id have a tough job proving it was mine after all those years 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a set of 2004 Super T’s on my Norco modded with another set of HSCV internals (swapped with another pair effectively leaving me with a set of Juniors which I sold) to bring them to 2003 spec but with fully adjustable crowns. The QR20 cams got lost off the back of the car after a race so I eventually swapped the lowers for a set off some 2007 Z1 sports.

I’d quite happily grab a pair of 55 RC3 Ti’s if they came up for my Pitch and a set of 44’s for my Trailstar.

2002 Z1 freerides on my hardtail and my FS. They are easy to maintain and the travel is wonderfully smooth but sadly the bushings are so worn they are starting to knock like a loose headset and will have to go in the bin.

Must still be able to get bushings, someone will have them somewhere.

Even if not, don’t bin them, there are plenty of bits someone could use to keep another pair going.

Andy-R

I’d quite happily grab a pair of 55 RC3 Ti’s if they came up for my Pitch and a set of 44’s for my Trailstar.

You do see them on ebay, from time to time – I picked a couple up from there for not that much money and in great condition.
    Anyway, I’m using one pair on a Liteville 301 and a pair of shim stack modified 55 TST 2’s on my Genesis Alpitude, which I have out in Greece. I reckon that they’re the plushest Marzocchis that I’ve ever used.
    One pair of 55 RC3’s is nicer than the other too, in spite of identical set-up. It must be just down to stanchion-bushing tolerances.
    I’m a bit of a Marzocchi fan-boy, tbh – right back to my trials days I’ve always rated them.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah I missed a set of 44’s through dithering, to be fair I needed forks for the other bike. I’ll keep an eye out as always but there are far too many chancers and hoarders that want silly money for spares.

rmacattack
    Free Member

I assume you all have seen the offer that marzocchi are offering money off for old forks? I got rid of a set many years ago. I’m sure some have a set under the bed or in the car, to end disputes lol.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

55rs here,hit by a car last summer and they didn,t even have a scratch.Owned him!

chakaping
    Free Member

Was the car written off?

I’d love to ride a 55rc3 ti again, just to see if they’re as good as I remembered.

funkmasterp

What are Marzocchi’s modern forks like? Never really see much about them

chakaping
    Free Member

They are like fox forks, literally.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

This thread gives me a raging nostalgia boner…

Back in the day I had a 1999 full build Orange Patriot that came with V brakes and QR Manitou X-verts with Elastomers; the tyre would rub when cornering with a sound like a drunken maybug bouncing off everything in it’s path and the damping had a similar quality to trainers before all that air pocket thing in the 80s.

I bagged a deal for some brand new Z1 CR QR20’s from Canada, complete with wheel and disc mount, man I miss that exchange rate.

(Not my bike, just nabbed these pics of t’internet for nostalgia value)

Raging boner

Disco

Hubba Hubba

Anyhoo, beyond the plush world of marshmellow wonder that actual damping circuits provided, the reduction in flex meant I could rag it and my bling Continental Vertical Pros wouldn’t even think about all that noisy knob gubbins.

Later on I had some 66 RC3s and some 55 RC3tis and I’m still convinced nothing has ever achieved quite that same level of plush support… if you had damping like that in your face and suchlike, Bruce Lee wouldn’t have a hope of landing a blow.

mark_b
    Free Member

Still using a set of 2006 bombers. Think they cost about £200 from CRC and have paid that back many times over.

Still work. Still smooth. Can’t see any reason to change them yet!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I got a set of NOS Z1 CR QR20’s in 2004, got a brake mount, fitted them to my Le Toy III and had it stolen during a break-in my flatmate slept through a couple of months later.

I still remember the bike frame number and I know the forks (oddly) started with Z4.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Anyone still use old Marzocchi Bombers’ is closed to new replies.