Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Anyone still on Soul 26'ers ?
  • iainc

Mine is a late MK3, great bike, built mid 2013, xt and Reba.

Annoyingly I am getting some new bike itch, however I really don’t know what would be a worthwhile change. I use it for most of my winter riding, natural tecky stuff, some big days out, some multiday trips etc. Also have an Anthem SX.

I couldn’t justify changing it to a new version of same as would be a lot of cash for something that probably feels very similar. Any suggestions ? Ideally, bury the thought and just keep enjoying riding it 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Last two 2012 frames I bid on sold for £185 and £245 so they are still in demand. As you say the obvious choice is a 2016 Soul. Personally I’d say just keep riding it or tweak something component wise if you want to scratch the itch.

I have 2 26 bikes (Covert and BFe) and am looking at what to build up as a third (spares and some new bits), have a Dialled PA Frame and also have bid on the Souls and looked at Bandits (sold quickly / I was too slow)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Still on a 2006 Soda – it’s evolved over time, so it’s a relatively up to date spec – 22.5lb with non-silly light wheels and tyres. Goes uphill like you wouldn’t believe, and once I’ve readjusted from my Rocket, it’s not slow DH either – a lovely compliant frame that just takes the edge off, but so easy to move around.

(If anyone is looking for a 26″ Soul – I have a medium one for sale in the classifieds…! 😉 )

martinhutch

You still like the bike, why not upgrade the wheels or forks? The newer versions are great, but it’s a lot of money for something which is only slightly different. Why not get your one stripped and powdercoated in a new colour? So many people say they regret getting rid of a Soul – I won’t be selling mine, that’s for sure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get a set of 150mm Pikes for it, I loved mine with longer travel, despite everyone and their dog telling me it would ride shite.

Northwind

I was just looking at the price of old souls, £500 for a full bike with nice parts! If I had space in the garage…

If you want something that does the job a soul does, very little competes and nothing really does it better. I sold mine because I wanted something more full-on- got a Ragley- but that’s the only reason.

michaelbowden

Still very happy with my MK3 running a 140mm Rev. Took it to BPW on Friday as I’m waiting the delivery of a Rocket Max.

It’s a bloody brilliant bike, spent a great day harassing my mates on their full sussers.

It won’t be gong anywhere

MoreCashThanDash

Have an early Mk1. Had a small inheritance to blow on a new MTB a couple of years ago. Ended up just upgrading the Soul with XT 1×11, lighter wheels and Rebas. Does everything I want it to do, better than I can, tbh!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

So many people say they regret getting rid of a Soul – I won’t be selling mine, that’s for sure.

I’ve got a 26″ mk3 and can’t see myself selling it. There’s only one bike out there at the moment which would make me consider it and that’s a 29er shan gt, it would have to ride bloody good though.

theboatman
    Free Member

Been riding mine since Xmas 2008, and prior to this I was a serial frame changer. It just suits what I do, and I love it. I’m so time poor nowadays, that I wouldn’t have the time to work out what to swap it for in today’s mtb market, given the choice out there now 😕

chorlton
    Free Member

[/url]

Had this mrk 2 powder coated a few weeks ago. Lovely bike. Will be on the lookout for some slightly longer forks after Christmas, these Fox are 100mm and the drivetrain is on its way out so just wondering what to go with next.

martinhutch

Nice colour – is that the same RAL as the newer Cotics?

Was considering getting mine done in a similar shade.

Rebas I suppose would be the default 120mm fork. If you could get hold of some straight steerer Revs that would be great, I think.

iainc

Just the reality check I needed, thanks for the posts. It will stay and be ridden into the ground !

simon1975

I’m very very happy with the Simple I picked up on here this year. I’ve no urge to get bigger wheels, so this will stay with me for many years. It will definitely be worth repairing, too, should the need arise. It’s just lovely.

iainc

No real upgrades needed as it has a Reverb, decent Mavic/Hope wheels, newish 2×10 xt and I have 2 Reba’s (long story !).

Will swop out the Butcher on front to a winter friendly Purgatory before next ride, as I have been off it for 6 weeks due injury.

phil40
    Free Member

You can have my 26″ Soul………..when you pry it out of my cold dead hands 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Will swop out the Butcher on front to a winter friendly Purgatory before next ride, as I have been off it for 6 weeks due injury.

You like the purg up front Iain? way too skittish in corners when I tried it.

iainc

Nobeer – Butcher is better for grip but is quite draggy, moreso in the muddy mess that is our local stuff. I find Purgatory better in the winter stuff, Butcher goes in in March !

metalheart
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/agRWNS]Soul G1[/url] on Flickr

After years of saying medium was the right size, blah, blah, blah, I’m now all about the longer top tube (at 6′ with the layback pin the front end is too light on climbs) I’m in the process of moving this on (to the Loon who doesn’t have a bike, and certainly won’t ‘appreciate’ it other than it being a decent bike).

Plus my riding requirements have also changed (bikepacking and 650B+ being the main things).

I do however remember the joy of the first proper ride I did on it, the smile I was wearing at the end of the first downhill section still hasn’t faded 🙂 And yes, it’s a mk 1 so that was around 8 or 9 years ago!

Come to think of it, I’ve never had a bike as long as this….

My Solaris gets ridden regularly though…

ahwiles
    Free Member

iainc – Member

Annoyingly I am getting some new bike itch,

stop looking at new stuff on the internet, go outside and ride your bike.

Klunk
    Free Member

soul and simple here.

orena45

I picked up one of the last Mk3 26ers when Cotic were selling them off. Despite being built up with some mid-range and second hand parts, I do love it – I wrote a bit about why it means something to me on my blog earlier in the year.

I do however keep getting the itch to change it though – I test rode a 27.5 plus Mondraker hardtail recently which would actually be more suited to my style of riding and as I could get one quite cheap, it would be cheaper than upgrading the Soul to a spec I want.

But…it’s a Soul. And it’s such a great frame!

core

I had a black MK2 soul with straight steerer, loved it, it did everything I needed, and had decent(ish) spec. I rode everything on it, XC, bimbling, trail centres, techy trails and well (for me), it was much better than me.

I liked my soul so much I bought a MK3, in green, to future proof myself as I thought I’d keep it forever, so got a 31.6mm dropper in there and the ability to run tapered forks. But, my riding got a bit techier, I started riding with more people on full sussers, and the full suss itch got bad. I have a Scandal 29er for an XC machine. I never really clicked with the second one as much as the first anyway, so I sold it, and got a cheap Zesty frame to swap the bits on to.

The Zesty is good, the Scandal is good, but they’re both quite focused and I do miss having the soul as it could just do anything, jack of all trades – master of most.

I’ve still got my forks hung up in the shed, 120mm straight (uncut) steerer dual air 120mm reba’s. I should sell them, I bet there’s more than a few people in this thread that want them. But, before I saw this thread this morning I put up a wanted ad for a straight steerer 26″ soul, as I still have my 26″ wheels in the zesty, and really want another.

craig24
    Free Member

Go ride it! Spend some money on upgrades if you have an itch.

I’m hoping to purchase a mk3 26er Soul frame next year, so I’d say there still great.

FOG

After many years of ogling Souls I bought one when the Mk3 came out. I too can’t see myself parting with it.
    At the moment it is in winter mode with rigid carbon forks and ugly mudguards but come spring sus forks will reappear. Which ever guise it is my most used bike even though I have a Trance 29er. I really like 29″wheels and have thought about going Solaris but eventually common sense kicks in and I realise the expenditure involved just wouldn’t make that much difference. So another year of Souldom and long may they continue.

2orangey4crows

As Core says: jack of all trades – master of most.

120 Rebas. XTR 970 everything. Hope everything else. Fun.

jekkyl

I have a black mk2 Soul also and love it. I orginally built it up with a set of solo air toras and then got 120mm dual air reba’s. The difference was absolutely outstanding, I’ll never have a set of forks less than Rebas quality again.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Yes. Built one from the last batch of 26ers made. Love it so it’ll be with me for a while yet.

P20

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NS8PSq]Cotic Souls[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Yes. The wife’s small duck egg blue, my medium orange, best mates large black, all MK3.
    Fabulous bike. I had fancied a Ritchey Timberwolf before buying mine 2nd hand, but the Soul is so nice I can’t see any need to change it

ahsat

^^ mines the duck egg one! Love it.

And found out last week a guy at work has one in yellow.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Will swop out the Butcher on front to a winter friendly Purgatory…

That sounds like a contradiction? 😕

Down here the Butcher is a far more winter friendly tyre. Saying that, I’ve just taken a Purg/Butcher combo off and replaced with Beavers.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mk I with an Exotic carbon 445mm fork on it atm… One bike that I will never let go

iainc

That sounds like a contradiction

west of Scotland gloop here, the Butcher gets all gummed up and very very draggy…

slackboy

Orange MK3 here

copa
    Free Member

Really like the look of them.
    The one thing I can’t stand though is that white logo thing on the down tube. Is it easily removable?

jekkyl

yes.

chorlton
    Free Member

The one thing I can’t stand though is that white logo thing on the down tube. Is it easily removable?

Wel I was going to say no as they were lacquered over the top on mine.
    I received a set of the new stile stickers after powder coating mine and they are white writing on black background which look much better. IMO.

MoreCashThanDash

Proper old Souls don’t have the white decal….. 8)

andytherocketeer

Have a black Soul 26er, one of the last pre- CEN frames.
    Also have a brand new Rocket.
    Let’s just say that the Soul is not for sale, any time soon.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

west of Scotland gloop here, the Butcher gets all gummed up and very very draggy…

Gotcha. Quite peaty?

The joys of tyre use/conditions assumptions. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Anyone still on Soul 26'ers ?’ is closed to new replies.