Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone sold their house themselves?
  • Tiboy

As above realy, anyone got any experience to share?

House is semi-detatched freehold so nothing complex… 😕

Cheers

Ben

m0rk
    Free Member

Yup. Got it valued by a couple of estate agents. Picked who we wanted and told the neighbours not to be surprised if they saw a board go up

30mins later both sides gave us a couple of names of friends or friends of friends who missed out when we bought it

If you can keep it amicable with the buyers it’s ok. Worth it to save a few grand on a mini driving burton shirt wearing toss piece walking people round your house

Tiboy

Haha, what is it about agents driving minis, seriously!

How hard was the process? EAs seem to imply they have a very important role to play in going from offer to complete, but how true is that? As far as I can tell it’s mainly the solicitors who do the work?

Harry_the_Spider

Yup. Got it valued by a couple of estate agents. Picked who we wanted and told the neighbours not to be surprised if they saw a board go up

30mins later both sides gave us a couple of names of friends or friends of friends who missed out when we bought it

If you can keep it amicable with the buyers it’s ok. Worth it to save a few grand on a mini driving burton shirt wearing toss piece walking people round your house

Did exactly this. However, we weren’t in a chain. When we were in a chain I was glad of the estate agent as they earned their commission when a buyer dropped out and they found another ASAP.

sofatester
    Free Member

it’s mainly the solicitors who do the work

Find a good one, do your research and it will work out just fine.

One less person to deal with always makes things easier.

Good luck.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

We put up a board but made it look like a well known estate agents rather than a bit of card with a scrawled on mobile no, worked a treat

Tiboy

Did you just put your number on the board? And did anyone use an online service to get it on rightmove?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Stuck a board in the front garden, in my bestest handwriting with phone number, sold it within a week, cash buyer, full market value.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup me too, dead easy too. Board up with “enquire within” on it, a week later a cash buyer turned up.

Clearly it’s not going to be that easy in all situations, but if you’ve the time and can spend a bit of effort you should be able to do it yourself.

Lots of material on the net about it. One nights surfing should sort you.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Sold mine through word of mouth, no estate agents, no survey (apart from buyers own) only used a reputable conveyancer for the legal bit. The only time I would use an agent is where I wouldn’t be available to show potential buyers around, otherwise doing it yourself gives you the opportunity to ‘vet’ the buyers.
    Estate agents really do make you think their role is somewhat more important than any one else in the process, and royally fleece you for doing FA. Advertising a property is not difficult.

antigee

yes a couple of times – once word of mouth, once thru advertising on university notice boards as was in that sort of area

why support an unregulated industry full of people who should be sat on the naughty step

Tiboy

Thanks all, seems putting our own board up might be the way to go!

bamboo
    Free Member

If you want to get it onto rightmove, then online only agents are much cheaper than using a normal agent. Maybe worth it if the for sale board doesnt gather enough interest

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone sold their house themselves?’ is closed to new replies.