Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone Snowboarded in Serre Chevalier?
  • lank45
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience of Serre Chevalier, I’ve managed to find an extremely cheap deal here for January.

Do they get a good amount of snow, and are the lifts up to scratch?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

twelveski
    Free Member

Went there for a day two years ago and liked it a lot. Plenty of lifts along the valley and some nice long runs.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Skiied there – it was good.

markfu
    Free Member

I also went there 2 years ago, the snow/skiing was great, lots of lifts, but some of the longest button lifts i have ever encountered (We were in Villeneuve)

Creg

Did a day trip there from Montgenevre where I was doing a season. The snow was great, lifts were fairly decent with minimal queues and the riding area was huge, more than we could cover in a day. There wasn’t much to be had offpiste (lack of fresh powder and not knowing where we were going) but we were happy just pistebashing anyway due to the varied runs.

There was a small boardpark which had some fun stuff in it but it was quite busy, never got to see the halfpipe as it was in a different area.

DezB
    Free Member

About 10 years ago, was one of the best places I’ve been for terrain, but there was a lot of fresh snow. And got taken to loads of amazing off-piste (most of which I couldn’t ride!)
    Yes, a lot of button lifts.

Haze

Skied there a fair while ago – really liked the place, haven’t a lot to compare it though.

nick1c
    Free Member

It can be good. If you go it’s worth booking a guide & trying La Grave if the conditions are good/safe (fantastic riding, followed by the traverse from hell to get out, but worth it).

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Went January this year. Thought it was great. Sometimes/someplaces the lifts were awkward to go top to bottom and they weren’t always the fastest but it’s a big places stretching along a whole valley side and has a reputation for lots of accessible off piste and powder (if the conditions are right).

One of the places I’ve enjoyed most over last few years.

speed12
    Free Member

Been to Montgenevre (just down the road…well…up the mountain…) for the last two years boarding and as others have said, the snow in the region is generally pretty reliably good. Although I haven’t been boarding for long, I get the feeling that it is a bit more skier-friendly (in terms of runs) than boarders (there are quite a few flat bits) – but Serre Chevalier might be a bit different.

But overall its a great area and generally a bit quieter than the big French resorts so you aren’t constantly dodging people on the piste!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Used to look after that area for Neilson Holidays – been there several times including a couple of photoshoots in the ski area.

I really likes it – probably the least french of french resorts I’ve been to. Lifts aren’t at all bad, ski area is big, lots of off piste, nice wide runs, didn’t feel too crowded.

Like anywhere in france it’s not cheap, so chalet board, or SC is the way to go (unless you’re stinking rich, but then you wouldn’t be looking at mega deals if that was the case)

what accom is it that you’re looking at? I found Villeneuve had the nicest mix of old/new/access to skiing and ski lifts.

If you can get a deal – go – it’s a great spot

splashdown
    Free Member

I spent a week snowboarding in Serre Chevalier two years ago and had a great time.

There wasn’t a dedicated snow park when I was there but there’s plenty of fun to be had riding through the trees.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Went there 5 years ago (or so!) and it was utter shizzel, there are lots of drag lifts (or there were then) the snow was complete pap and it was just an ice fest, so it’s also quite low.

I get the impression when there’s good snow it’s good with lots of off piste but when there isn’t any it is utter pants. And I know some people will think you can say that about anywhere, but no this is UTTER UTTER pants I can’t express enough how rubbish our “cheap” trip was when it was icey and bald with rocks sticking through. I never drunk so much alcohol or eaten so much cheese, can’t fault skitopia though.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I found it a bit cramped imo for space but essentially was not bad.

bazzer
    Free Member

Been a couple of times (skiing) and thought it was good.

Bazzer

Bunnyhop

I’ve been a few times.
    For a French resort its not too bad size wise.
    The only thing we didn’t like were the rush hour queues down the valley if you’re driving.
    There are 3 villages, so plenty of choice for restaurants. However the cafe/restaurant owners are stuck in the 1970’s and don’t allow you to just ‘pop to the loo’, or use their facilities without purchasing something or paying. They should take a look a North America, where customer is king and catch up.

It can get busy during the French holidays. But I like it. Lifts were o.k.

JohnnyPanic

Went there in March, liked it a lot. Tons of snow then and it wasn’t that busy. Lots of off piste. Not many Brits there.

I will say though that your choices seem to be Easyjet to Grenoble then the (long & expensive) transfer from hell, or the (Awful) Ryanair to Turin and a better transfer.

Looking to go back there this year by overnight train to Briancon.

ssnowman
    Free Member

Been snowboarding there 5 times. Most of the drag lifts are gone now, or you can avoid them by using alternative uplift via chairlifts.

Great place for snowboarding, generally good snow & all the slopes are on one mountain face, so you can get from one end to the other & back without using public transport.

Had 2 of my best powder days ever in Serre Che. Whilst the village is low, the mountains go up to a decent height, so if it’s raining in the village, there’ll be powder in the mountains!

scott-b
    Free Member

We went in Jan this year and it was great. Loads of snow inc fresh dumps for the last 2 days. Virtually no lift q’s and empty piste’s. Plenty to ride.
    Gets my vote.
    Thinking of booking again for this Jan

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So who is the cheap deal with then??

lank45
    Free Member

It’s with bookable ski (but they go through Neilson), £161 for flights, transfers and self catered accomodation stopping in Du Jardin Alpin. Seems basic but you don’t expect much for that much. Means we can get a pass and a holiday for £330! We are doing it on the cheap as we are cheap but want some good powder and decent pistes to hit. There looks to be a park and a half pipe to session as well. Worldsnowboardguide said it was bought by the guys who own Tigne, Saas-Fee and Chamonix which is promising as they’re well set up areas.

scotabroad

Went there with family about 10 years ago and thought it was a good resort overall. It does depend on what you are used to though. If you really like the mega resort style of val d’Isere or 3 valleys with mega efficient lifts then its not for you. If you prefer a smaller resort with a friendlier atmosphere on the lifts and are prepared for slower lifts and long drags then it has a lot to offer. We found that somehow the matrix of lifts allowed to make up a variety of runs. If you are a boarder beware of the viscous (but fast) long button lifts at the top.

The resort itself (we were in Villeneuve) does not have much night life.

Would go back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Snowboarded in Serre Chevalier?’ is closed to new replies.