Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone set up webcams?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Not the dodgy ones of your other halfs. I volunteer for an outdoor pool and have been asked to look at setting up a webcam for our website. Our big problem is no internet at the pool atm so it may have to run over 4g. I’ve found a few options but might have to DIY as we are not really cash rich. Just wondered if anyone here had any experience or could recommend a system/provider?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not sure “outdoor pool” makes the idea any less weird…..

colp

If it’s over 4G you won’t want to do streaming from it. Most will have a function to do a scheduled FTP upload so you could upload an image every minute to a server and use a link to that image for the public access.

DavidB
    Free Member

@colp yes, I have found a service that does just that. Other option appears to be to capture to a server with a better internet connection and stream from that feed.

pedlad

Pool webcam feed to public website you say….you may want to get some legal advice on privacy notices/opt-in.

jamj1974

Our alarm and camera setup runs over WiFi internet connection with a 4G backup.

You can still stream live video of a single camera at a time and change which camera you are viewing through with almost zero delay.

So, yes. It’s possible.

33tango

GDPR 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

@pedlad Yes we know the privacy/GDPR issue. That’s all part of the project

@jamj1974
    can you share what camera/system you use?

CraigW
    Free Member

You could use an old phone, with a suitable app. So long as you have a power supply.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pool webcam feed to public website you say….you may want to get some legal advice on privacy notices/opt-in.

Webcam of a pool sounds like opening a can of worms there. Not saying it’s wrong, but what is the aim of the webcam?

A quick google of ‘swimming pool webcam uk’ returns basically zero results – maybe for a reason.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

what is the aim of the webcam

Ladies changing rooms for max revenue, obviously.

jamj1974

We use Y-Cam. Indoor and outdoor cameras are available.

scruff9252

I swim at the Edinburgh commonwealth pool. As it’s used as a big race meet venue, it has those fancy underwater cameras I dare say installed at great cost.

I asked the staff whether it be possible to be able to come in at a quiet time (mid morning, mid week you’re almost guaranteed one of the 8 lanes to yourself) and look at the camera to check on my form.

The short answer was “**** no! cameras are strictly only on for competitions and even then public aren’t allowed to see the footage.” I dare say they meant unedited footage, but still.

What are you looking to achieve? Weather conditions at the pool?

How about an online weather station linked up to weather underground so your customers can check there?

Allowing all in sundry to view pictures of your customers and their children in swimwear would quite quickly lead to Bad Things.

DavidB
    Free Member

It’s an outdoor Lido. It’s sea filled and the camera is to show conditions of the sea and surrounding area as many want to know before committing to a visit

ambientcoast
    Free Member

@DavidB – sounds interesting. Which pool?

We’ve been hammering away at this project since 2012: https://www.tynemouthoutdoorpool.com

We’re close to getting planning permission for the site… then there’s just the small matter of finding about £6m quid to complete the project.

Anyway, there’s a camera aimed at our pool 24/7, although no-one swims in it right now for obvious reasons. And it’s actually pointing out of someone’s living room window so it does use an on-site internet connection. However, there’s some info about the camera at http://www.tynemouth.org.uk/about which may or may not be useful to you.

Oh, and at the time of writing this it’s all black… because, well, it’s night time, innit.

DavidB
    Free Member

@ambientcoast Shoalstone Pool in Brixham a bit further down the road from you but I wish you well with your project you sound just like us!

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Aye, sounds like we’re facing a lot of the same struggles!

We’re also planning to heat our pool too, which adds a whole new dimension to it.

Who’d have thought that getting planning permission for a swimming pool on a site that was built to be a swimming pool, and which already contains a swimming pool, would be so difficult. :o)

Good luck to you, too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone set up webcams?’ is closed to new replies.