Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Anyone seriously 'overbiked'?
  • I suppose we could all manage with less – i.e. riding the Peak & Derbyshire Dales, there’s nothing that I couldn’t do (and haven’t done) on my Lava Dome.

However, my 170/150mm Enduro lets me enjoy it more and go faster/harder with more comfort – therefore I don’t consider myself overbiked.

So, anyone actually going to admit to being overbiked – the extremity being commuting on a 10″ DH bike I suppose, but you get my drift?

porter_jamie

I live in essex and have a heckler. I take the cross bike most times…

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve just got another 9 extra gears….god only knows when I’ll use them.

benji
    Free Member

Yep, I own a cross bike, so don’t really need a road bike especially as I have spare wheels, also could lose the 26″ retro mtb, but it’s like driving a classic car, it’s an old friend, and the singlespeed 29er, the cross bike can go everywhere it can, and that’s without the other 29er which is going to be another singlespeed but could run gears if it wants.

But it’s nice to have a choice, and the government aren’t taxing bicycles yet, and I like to see them all sat ready to play.

Equation for working is: pays money = more toys.

anagallis_arvensis

I have recently been mincing about on an orange five.

micky
    Free Member

Im often amazed at how over biked a lot of bikers are at trail centres but i guess if you ride a mix of knarly stuff and trail centres and can only have one bike then what can you do? My orange ST4 feels like a downhill bike to me when i change to it from my hardtail. It’s enough for the majority of things that i ride in Wales.

maxtorque

I successfully circumnavigated the Green route at Swinley on saturday on my 160mm Zesty….. I survived….. Just…… 😉

ratherbeintobago

My orange ST4 feels like a downhill bike to me when i change to it from my hardtail. It’s enough for the majority of things that i ride in Wales.

I’m sure one of the mags described the ST4 as the bike the majority of Five owners should have bought.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I ride Woburn most of the time on a yeti asr7. My hummer or my sov are more than enough really and I know it!

househusband

Totally and utterly when riding my Scott CR1…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hahaha oh yeas mmwaaahhahaha. It’s not for every day but some days it takes my breath away

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m frivolously overbiked a lot of the time.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep I’m in the east Midlands and my main mtb is a Scott Voltage.. I mainly ride the dh at woburn on it which it feels a bit much for, but its a fun bike to ride so who really cares? I also have a chameleon but if I had to go back to one mtb itd be the voltage.

rOcKeTdOg

yup

boxfish
    Free Member

Yup. 5-spot here, which for 90% of my riding is probably “too much”. Flippin’ great, though. 😀

nickc

I’ve just bought another HT, this one has a Lyrik plugged in the front. 90% of my riding is in the Chilterns, what do you think? 😆

In my defence, it’s my only bike

soundb0y
    Free Member

Pretty sure I fit the bill for this. Did my first ever trail on my zesty 714.

mangatank
    Free Member

Over-biked…possibly. Under-skilled…definitely!

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m under biked on the climbs

robhenry85
    Free Member

i took my 6inch bouncy bike on an old railway line, could of done it on a road bike!

but still had a great day 😆

it’s a bike just ride it in anyway you want 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

I have suspension forks on my hardtail and more than one gear 😳

dantsw13

At the moment, yes! My Titus is waiting for its forks back from servicing, so I’m riding my local my local woods on my Alpified Heckler, with Marz55’s and chunky tyres!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP how can a 170/150 bike help you go harder, faster up a hill, it can only make you go slower….so therefore you are over bikes.

I see loads of folk around where I live, and puzzle at where they are riding such rocky, steep decents which favour such bikes.

I even wondered about ditching the 100 x 100 suspension bike when I got a cross bike, and remembered how much fun it is with no suspension etc

mindmap3
    Free Member

Yup.

I don’t care either; I love my Rune V2, I enjoy riding it and have fun on it whatever I ride. I even take it to trail centres sometimes. I’m not the fastest person up or down but I’m not the slowest either.

There seems to be a lot of interest in what other people ride, where they ride etc. Who cares if they’re having fun and not harming anyone?

weeble
    Free Member

Deleted my self gratuitous post

FunkyDunc – Member

OP how can a 170/150 bike help you go harder, faster up a hill, it can only make you go slower….so therefore you are over bikes.

I don’t try and go hard/fast uphill, but surprisingly it climbs better than my HT – my Strava times are acceptable, I clean most climbs and keep up with my mates. Maybe it’s more bike than I ‘need’, but I admitted that – for the most it gives me lots of fun though.

mindmap – wasn’t criticising anyone, just curious – wouldn’t judge anyone for what they choose to ride.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Op – it wasn’t aimed at you, more the inevitable barrage of awesomeness that was about to come those who can ride a unicycle blindfolded with no legs past all of these over bikes people at trail centres!

My Rune suits me because I can only justify having one good bike and it needs to do my everyday riding as well as DH days / uplifts etc. if I could afford or justify it, I’d have a DH bike as well as a more sensible trail bike. I may comment on someone having a nice bike but I’d never judge them for having too much or too little bike because I don’t know why they’re riding that bike. All that matters is that people have fun and enjoy it.

Agreed ^^^^

samuri
    Free Member

Every bike I own is too much bike for me. Never mind.

tomhoward

This thread needs pussywillow.

My only mtb is a 100mm forked singlespeed ht. Until my 11 geared, 650b’ed, carbon 160mm fs arrives 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I live south of the Watford Gap and have a 160mm AM bike.

But it’s very nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Give him time….

I ended up liking the 7 Stanes facebook page, there seem to be heaps taking their DH bikes up for Spooky wood etc. Always saw heaps on big bikes mincing everywhere. But then again there are plenty of overly large unfit people on light as hell XC machines looking like heart attacks waiting to happen.

I dropped back from a heckler to a Blur LTc feels about right, was going to go with the Tr but got the chance on the LT built how I wanted it. I’m looking for a DH bike to balance it out and not hammer then LTc in the local DH series.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

If I’m having fun on my chosen bike for that particular days riding then I’m not over biked. I’ve had my DH bike with me at a BMX track. That was bloody good fun.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

First full sus bike I bought was a speccy Enduro in 2005,I think it’s 150 mm travel.Was great when I rode it at Morzine & doing some of the 7 stanes.I think the last time I rode it was 2007/8.I bought a 100mm travel Giant nrs in 2007,that’s enough travel for my usual trails,I’ll keep the Enduro though for the next foreign holiday,it’s spent most of its life as a dust collector..

Northwind

Only time I feel overbiked on my 160mm, coil forked steed…

Wait, is it a steed? Or is it a rig? Make it rig.

…coil forked rig, is when it’s got excessively sticky rubber on it. It’s absolutely fine for simple stuff the rest of the time, as it’s not just a big rockplough, it has a bit of poise and balance. Honestly I think all really good 160mm bikes do, the bad ones give up descending capability for climbing prowess and the OK ones give up a bit of allrounderness for descending.

But excessively sticky tyres, fffffuuuuuuuu

_tom_
    Free Member

i took my 6inch bouncy bike on an old railway line, could of done it on a road bike!

Same here, it was bloody awful! Probably would’ve been ok with a proper length seatpost though, my back was killing me by the end of it due to how low the post was.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I know someone who used to often commute ~30 miles round trip on a Brooklyn Race Link!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am absolutely over biked for the vast majority of my riding. I have an Enduro Evo and a Stumpjumper would have been more than enough for most of the riding I do. It would take a proper battering on DH sessions and the messing around that I like to do. I would rather have the reassurance of a heavier stronger bike than be worried about breaking things all the time. I would almost certainly be faster around most trails on a smaller bike but would I have as much fun? I’m not sure.

andyrm
    Free Member

“Overbiked” is a concept I don’t recognise. Does riding the bike they are on make them happy? Are they having a laugh on it? Then it is the right bike.

It’s that simple – can’t understand why people need to overthink stuff so much.

samuri
    Free Member

I know someone who used to often commute ~30 miles round trip on a Brooklyn Race Link!

At one point in my life I had five bikes. (I know, I know, but money was tight), so I decided I would cycle into work each day (about 15 miles each way), on each bike in turn.

Monday was fine on the road bike
    Tuesday on the cross bike was also fine, fun even.
    Wednesday on the Geared mountain bike, fine
    Thursday on the singlespeed bike, fine but a little tiring
    Friday on the singlespeed jump bike.,,, Mother of god! I thought my legs were going to fall off. So, so tired when I arrived at work but by the time I got home I could barely stand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seriously 'overbiked'?’ is closed to new replies.