Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone self built a house (Scotland)
  • brads
    Free Member

Awritey

So who has built a house in Scotland and how did it go.

I’m retiring soon and want to build a place in the Borders.
    I’ve never done anything like it before but No1 son is a builder and his company will be helping out.

So, how did it go ?
    Tell me about

Architects ( Do I need one and if so, why ?)
    Plans , can I just buy a set for a home that I like ?
    Outside the box, I hate new builds and want something different. Think Log home or even Concrete.
    (Some of these come with plans, will they charge me full whack for secondhand plans ?)

Plots. wtaf !? what a minefield of non existent places. Can I see a place and approach the cooncil and ask if I can build there ?

As you can imagine, I need help here so for all you that have done it, thanks in advance for any info.

jam-bo

has anyone heard from global_ti recently….

lesgrandepotato

I built mine in the lakes. You need to join the build hub forum.

DickBarton

Place in France do home kits that are very nice looking log cabins. The shavings from the wood are also sent and that is used to help insulate between the logs. Not really logs though, more like tongue-and-groove wooden blocks.
    Saw a video of how it was built and reckoned I could do that, then it was just getting electrics and plumbing in. Made me think it was a straightforward process – time-consuming but looked ‘simple’ (aware it isn’t in reality).

joshvegas
    Free Member

Architects ( Do I need one and if so, why ?)

Plots. wtaf !? what a minefield of non existent places. Can I see a place and approach the cooncil and ask if I can build there ?

As you can imagine, I need help here so for all you that have done it, thanks in advance for any info.

😀

ppolski
    Free Member

Hi, I have conpleted two self builds now in the Borders…no sign of an architect yet. You can definitely buy some very good plans and your son’s builders should be ideally placed to tell you if they’re sensible and costly or not.

There is no reason why not to build something from a plan, but no guarantees that the planning officer will agree to all of it, especially on a sensitive site.

Similarly you can ask away to the local planner if they’d consider residential development on a site….but by far your biggest constraint is likely to be finding land that’s actually for sale!

PM me if I can be of any help, there’s even a plot available next door to me on the coast for someone interesting!

brads
    Free Member

This means what ?

You need to join the build hub forum.

Will do thanks

@joshvegas
    Is this somit you have done ?

@ppolski
    Thanks for that, am planning a sit down with the company when they get 5 minutes spare and am hoping for a chat with a planning officer about plots (I suspect I’ll lose mine)

duncancallum

Mr Ti

Is having a self build nightmare currently.

I was looking at a plot and a kit from scotbuild or similar but ended up buying a 130yo croft

dovebiker

We started out the beginning of last year with plans to self-build, and did look at it quite seriously on the Isle of Mull. Lockdown however meant that there was a dearth of suitable rental accommodation, not just on Mull, but the entire west coast – the nearest suitable place we could find is 160 miles away in Moray, just north of the Cairngorms and it takes 5 hours (including 2 ferries) to get there. Having got in touch with a local builder regarding a plot for sale, turns out he had some other plots and just got planning permission for a small development outside Tobermory overlooking the sound of Mull and was happy to change the design / layout. This is what it looks like just now – foundations and floor slab, awaiting erection of the steels and timber frame kit – hopefully completed in April/May:

In response to your questions:

Architect? You can get planning permission without an architects drawing, but in order to get a building warrant you need to get approved drawings for both the construction, foundations, services etc – so pretty difficult without an architect or at least a structural engineer. Some of the kit house companies will do this for you as part of a ‘package’

If you want something absolutely unique, then turning your ideas into something than can be built to meet building regs etc will require the services of an architect. Again some of the kit house companies will do this as part of a package and do offer one-off designs. If you want concrete, look at ICF – lots of people offering design services.

Probably biggest challenge is finding a suitable plot – lots on Rightmove or Zoopla – just search by area. The advantage is that many have planning permission – you can reapply if you change the house design / position etc. There are companies that will offer to find a plot for you deal with planning etc – but there will be a fee. Plot prices vary hugely – anything with a decent view commands a premium. Prices start from about £50k for an unserviced plot with PP.

Bear in mind the costs of getting services to a plot e.g. mains electric and water / sewerage. We were looking at one plot where the plans indicated main on the boundary. Turns out it it was the end of the supply and needed a £20k transformer plus £5k for connection. If there’s no mains sewerage, then you’ll need a septic tank – probably another £5-10k.

The cost of building a house is typically based on /m2 and varies hugely depending on method of construction, quality of finish how much you can do yourself and whether you need to employ a project manager all the way through to turnkey i.e. builder does everything. It can vary from £500/m2 to £2,000/m2.

One observation I see is the people go totally OTT in terms of the design and scale of their house and run out of money because they’ve totally under-estimated the finished costs.

I like the fact that we’ll have a totally unique house in a great location. I’m probably paying 50% more to have it built by someone else, but it’ll take 2 years less and I don’t have to live in a cold, damp caravan – just a damp, mice-infested steading!

Marin
    Free Member

My old boss built some in Loch Aline down the Sound from dovebiker. He used wooden kit builds no architect. Workers stayed in local accomodation as travel times are huge depending where you are. Utilities proved the most expensive cost after the p!of which took years to secure off the previous owners. Previous friends warned of building something huge that turns into wasted space. Exciting times, good luck.

AD

Lots of good advice above – we self built 13 years ago (in Cumbria) so anything I could add is probably out of date. However we found this really useful: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Housebuilders-Bible-13-Mark-Brinkley/dp/1916016804/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1TBL8F1ZQYDMZ&dchild=1&keywords=homebuilders+bible&qid=1609783572&sprefix=home+builders+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1

franksinatra

Not self build but I recently did a massive extension and refurb, also in the Borders. I would say the quality of your experience is completely related to the quality of your trades. We had first class joiners / lead trade and they made the experience (almost) pleasant.

Planning was really hard, they were quick to say what we could not do but refused to say what we could do. When we asked them what they would accept they said that is what we paid an architect for and it was not there place to offer advice! Ended up getting our local councillor to step in and read them the riot act, he did this very well and smoothed things out.

intheborders
    Free Member

but by far your biggest constraint is likely to be finding land that’s actually for sale!

This.

I’m in the Borders too and a few years ago we renovated one of our outbuildings for my Mum. If we could’ve knocked it down and built fresh we’d have saved 10’s of thousands, but this option wasn’t available. Unused agricultural buildings are a priority for renovation within the SBC area.

Our Architect has now retired but I can recommend these guys, we used them to handle the whole build.

http://www.kaimburn-joinery.co.uk/index.html

brads
    Free Member

All good stuff and thanks.

I tried to make sense of the SBC development plan but it just made me dizzy lol. Lots of what you can’t do but not what you can, as said.

brads
    Free Member

To add, is that book worth buying for a Scottish build ?

bigjim

I have planning in principle for a house and went to a home building show in glasgow that was quite useful, some good lectures. Think it was this one https://glasgow.homebuildingshow.co.uk/

This chap in particular was very good https://acarchitects.biz/self-build-blog/

dovebiker

Housebuilder’s Bible worth having just so you’re more familiar with the actual process of building a house.

AD

Exactly as dovebiker says – the book won’t tell you how to build it as such but will tell you about the process and potential pitfalls.
    I’ve just had a quick look in my old copy (sixth edition) and it has specific references to Scottish planning rules so it is probably a safe bet the most recent version will too.

redmex
    Free Member

The house I was working on completed just before Xmas was in Kinrosshire, the timber kit was supplied and fitted by Fleming based in Duns in Berwickshire
    Quite fancy Siberian larch cladding, slate roof and two south facing gables build in Denfind stone from Monikie up from Dundee
    Probably a 10 month build but delayed a bit due to covid
    Next door a prefab from Germany /Poland border driven over and erected in a couple of days with crane and a big squad of UK based poles
    Probably with the founds a 3 month build but a bit like getting a McDonald’s burger . Quite impressive the two days to put the bulk up but maybe not much character about the house maybe a bit bland
    Not sure about costs but I don’t think the Eastern European one would be much cheaper / M2

redmex
    Free Member

WWW Danwood D.E. look them up and you see what you get for your bucks

maccruiskeen

This means what ?

He’s in the middle of a self build – and theres not shortage of concern for his well being.

dovebiker

Tobermory

First portal frame erected today. This also raises the question of why anyone would want to build a house in Scotland because of the terrible scenery and rotten weather in winter…

toomba
    Free Member

First self built in 2008 now half way through our second. The building trade is booming in Scotland just now so some prices on the high side.
    As mentioned above some kit manufacturers offer a design service with plans taken through from planning to building warrant application.
    This time around we got architect to do the plans and joinery company to stick build the timber frame on site.
    Planning and building warrants take a lot of time with some local authorities being really stretched so be prepared for a wait.
    Material costs are rising fast as is labour so be careful with the spec and finishings.

andykirk
    Free Member

I love to read the self-satisfied ‘I didn’t need/ use an architect’ chat.

Carry on.

Regards

An Architect

brads
    Free Member

I love to read the self-satisfied ‘I didn’t need/ use an architect’ chat.

Carry on.

Regards

An Architect

That’s a really crap reply . Why not elaborate and inform. I’ve never built a house so what can you add and what value do you bring ?

I’m really hoping that architects aren’t just IFA’s by another name.

bruneep

because of the terrible scenery

was a cracking view until someone built a house there. 😉

is your design midge proof or will you be stuck inside all summer?

andykirk
    Free Member

Brad I wasn’t referring to any of your posts.

I am not sure what an IFA is, but if you mean Independent Financial Adviser then yes we are just like that, only with more stupidly shaped glasses and better pencils. We will fleece you for all you are worth then give you a set of unbuildable drawings that have been produced by just pressing a button on a computer.

My non-sarcastic advice to you is to read up as much as possible and meet with some local architects.

Marin
    Free Member

Hopefully meet up with some less pithy ones than Mr Kirk.

dovebiker

is your design midge proof or will you be stuck inside all summer?

<sarcasm>
    Yes, thinking of either directed energy weapons or close in weapons systems – any
    recommendations?

Despite what the photos show, we will have these sophisticated devices called windows and doors that are pretty good at keeping them out too…
    </sarcasm>

andykirk
    Free Member

That looks quite interesting Dove, what is the construction system?

brads
    Free Member

Been looking at Post and Beam structures and am liking that style of build.

Had a lengthy chat with a local supplier today and it looks like finding a plot is going to be the serious hurdle.

Next stop SBC ! buggers.

dovebiker

That looks quite interesting Dove, what is the construction system?

It’s timber over a steel portal frame, exterior will be clad in larch and rood will be profiled steel. The gable end in the photo is pretty well all-glass.

bruneep

<sarcasm>
    Yes, thinking of either directed energy weapons or close in weapons systems – any
    recommendations?

Despite what the photos show, we will have these sophisticated devices called windows and doors that are pretty good at keeping them out too…
    </sarcasm>

we have friends who built a decking with a roof and encased it in fine mesh so they can sit outside rather than look outside from inside when its midge season

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone self built a house (Scotland)’ is closed to new replies.