Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 163 total)
  • Anyone seen this about the Master’s Track World Champs
  • andybrad

I personally find this whole situation unappealing.

I will defend the right for people to do what they want as long as it doesn’t negatively impact others. However this is doing just that. To me I see athletes as role models for our young. Something to say look if you put all this hard work in you can compete against someone just like you and you too could win. It’s a good thing to encourage people as well as admiring the dedication and sacrifice these people have made.

The reason we have men and women competitions is that there is a clear difference in the general makeup of them. Many many different reasons for this. This is not new and doesn’t change.

I think its good that someone who is trans has the ability to change and be themselves and accepted in the society they live in. That’s fantastic. However competing at a high level such as this then I do think that it is unfair on the others competing. One person holds a clear genetic advantage over the rest that you could argue has been “engineered” It gives the signal out that if you are a boy and cant compete then you could change sex and beat all those feeble girls. This I don’t like. We are in an age of very advanced cheating and it wont be long, unless this is controlled, before we see people having a sex change so they can compete.

I personally think we should have a “clean” sport and then have a free for all version where you can use any method of performance enhancement you like.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’m the same as you AndyBrad – anyone who grew up a man has a growth and development genetic advantage, even if they later transition to a woman and reduce the levels of hormones to the same as a typical woman. It’s like taking steroids to develop, then staying off them for a couple of years but building on your development to go and win at strength sports.
    It’s all a load of bollocks. Sport should be classified on sex not gender, you can’t change your sex.

chiefgrooveguru

“Sport should be classified on sex not gender, you can’t change your sex.”

What about everyone that is intersex? Sex isn’t simply male or female, hence the Caster Semenya issue.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Well I think there should be a new category, as has been done for differently-abled people, like the Invictus games, paralympics etc.
    Otherwise women sports especially is going to nose dive in interest, just when feminism was actually achieving a decent catch up, not only in regulations but in actual interest.
    Many people (esp men) love women’s DH, cycling, tennis, rugby, wendyball etc. If you fill them all up with men who have changed gender then we are all going to lose interest.

Everyone deserves a chance to compete – however it is unfair and wrong to assume that someone who was once a man are competitive with women. And it has proven by the results that they are not.

rene59
    Free Member

And you do know you can’t suddenly declare as a woman and then compete

Are you sure about that? Look at the schools and universities who allow anyone to compete as the gender they identify as with no other requirements on surgery, hormone levels etc.

chiefgrooveguru

“Many people (esp men) love women’s DH, cycling, tennis, rugby, wendyball etc. If you fill them all up with men who have changed gender then we are all going to lose interest.”

I think you’re overestimating the numbers of transgender and intersex people. And how advantaged they are.

“Everyone deserves a chance to compete – however it is unfair and wrong to assume that someone who was once a man are competitive with women. And it has proven by the results that they are not.”

Where has it been proven? There’s been a transgender DH MTBer competing in World Cups this year and she’s been miles behind the top riders – and it’s well established that even Rachel Atherton at her best is much slower than even the junior men.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Sport should be classified on sex not gender, you can’t change your sex.

What about everyone that is intersex? Sex isn’t simply male or female, hence the Caster Semenya issue.

5plusn8 doesn’t define sex but I assume he means chromosomes or birth gender, in which case 0.06% of people won’t fit neatly in. (and many of them are quite easy to assign as discussed above.) In the current system 2% of people are tricky to qualify. You’re concerned about tricky exceptions and you’re right to be – 5plusn8’s system throws up far fewer.

I don’t think this is always true, but if it were true don’t you think people *should* be able to compete as the sex/gender they identify as? That’s the beauty of a system that ignores sex/gender all together. Any male can identify as a woman and compete as a woman. They’ll just be competing against people who happen to have the same chromosomes as them, or in an event where no distinction is made on gender. Job done, everyone happy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Where has it been proven? There’s been a transgender DH MTBer competing in World Cups this year and she’s been miles behind the top riders – and it’s well established that even Rachel Atherton at her best is much slower than even the junior men.

I don’t expect you’re claiming that this proves anything either – but I thought it was worth just stressing the point.

DH is a bad example really as skill is such a huge factor and Rachel is regularly quicker than guys who are bigger and stronger than her.

People advocating the categorisation of mainstream sport by testosterone levels or chromosones are being highly unrealistic IMO, it’s just not going to fly with the general public. Simplicity is the key.

And to answer the “it’s only sport” point someone made, that’s true but – to be pragmatic – it’s more important to the participants than somebody else’s journey of self-discovery is.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Where has it been proven?

Ok, I accept hyperbole on my part. And anecdotes don’t make science, all of the current examples, winners and losers, are just anecdotal. However look at:

Dr Rachel McKinnon
    Laurel Hubbard

If you look at drugs cheats, on average taking drugs makes you perform better
    If you look at men vs women on average being male makes you perform better.

Hubbard has been beaten by women, as has McKinnon, but how much has their success been down to their previous sex and how much down to training performance etc. To me this is like asking how much of Armstrong’s success was down to drugs and how much was training performance etc.
    Frankly who cares, drugs make you better, as does being male. Its just a fact of life.

Many successful sports people it is really hard to tease out what makes them good, for some there are certain physical genetic traits which obviously contribute – Phelps has some dolphin in him. If you are genetically male then you have an advantage over genetic females.
    If we want to have sports with scientifically augmented humans then lets start a new class.

5plusn8 doesn’t define sex but I assume he means chromosomes or birth gender

I think just chromosomes,  as you say this leads to a very small percentage of people. They can have their own classification just like in the paralympics.

Speeder

“Sport should be classified on sex not gender, you can’t change your sex.”

But how many Caster Semenya are there and how many have there ever been? It’s almost statistically irrelevant. She is a genetic anomaly as much as Michael Phelps is and as such should be allowed to compete on level terms with other women. History will record the facts.

outofbreath
    Free Member

…and Caster Semenya doesn’t fit smoothly into the existing system either, so arguing against another system on the basis she won’t smoothly fit in makes no sense.

fossy

Just looking at the nmol for women and it has to be lower than 10 – that’s 5-6x the ‘normal maximum range for a woman. If over 10 that’s well the range of a bloke.  But if she’s not had a sex change, and doesn’t have nuts, then that’s how it is.

The other thing that needs checking is the hematocrit / hemoglobin as Pro cyclists are limited to 50nmol. Testosterone dramatically increases this, which is your ability to carry oxygen, so anyone with high levels will be higher, although endurance sport does lower this compared to the average person.

philjunior
    Free Member

Ah yes – this is the solution in our gender confused times – do not separate male & female sport. Jobs a good’un.

Hard to logically argue against that but the point was made over on mums net that that would mean women would never get anywhere near the top of a wide range of sports.

I quite like the idea that my daughter could get to the top of a sport if she wanted. It’s unlikely but it’s possible. Not so nice to tell her she can ride as a hobby but will never compete seriously at a very high level.

Of course that might be the only solution that everyone agrees to.

I can’t get pregnant or breast feed a baby. Modern medical science might be able to alter my hormones to sort the latter, but the former is just a fact. I have to accept it. There are some differences between men and women (or, if you like, between people). Maybe on that basis it’d be alright to just not have gendered sports.

But then you could argue against age categories etc. too. I think it’s a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I think it’s a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Yup. Just have a new category.

It is a funny one, because used to accept that men and women are different physically and mentally, this is what lead to non equality prejudice in the first place. (Some social science crazies and other mentalists try to argue that men and women are no different in any way)
    At work and public life etc we are working towards eradicating these prejudices thankfully, but in a strict measurement system such as sport where peoples performance is examined so closely, we kind of need the current “prejudice” – ie male and female, age etc. Otherwise youthful males will just be best at most stuff and equality elsewhere in life will go backwards.

Personally I love women, I love the differences. I currently admire Serena Williams as probably the No1 sports person ever, despite the fact that she could not even beat the no100 seed male, she is “better” for all her achievements.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well for a start noone is saying its a formula for instant success. I could turn up tomorrow, compete against the woman at the wc dh, and I’d come last by a long long way. Training, skill and dedication are still required, however all things being equal woman are at a disadvantage. As shown by your point that rach is on a par with the junior men times wise, despite being I imagine technically far superior.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

There’s an interested article on Velo news

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/news/commentary-the-complicated-case-of-transgender-cyclist-dr-rachel-mckinnon_480285

Sarah Fader, the defending masters world champion in the event, and faster qualifier, declined to race against McKinnon in the final.

From the article

“I’m not blaming Rachel for competing. A lot of people are calling her a cheater, and she’s not a cheater because the current rules allow her to do it legally,” Fader said. “I just don’t believe the current rules.”

Fader says her opinion was upheld by what she saw in the qualifying rounds. In Fader’s eyes, Dr. McKinnon dominated the other riders at the competition. Her power on the bicycle was simply too great for tactics and strategy to overcome, Fader said. And when Fader learned that Dr. McKinnon had switched from road cycling to track racing less than two years ago, she also questioned her inclusion. Fader is a cycling coach, and she believes Dr. McKinnon’s rapid rise from track newbie to world champion is a sign of an unfair advantage.

“It’s taken some women five to eight years to get that fast and [Dr. McKinnon] made these leaps and bounds in a few years,” Fader said. “For her being such a beginner and being able to hit these times that took us years to hit how do you even measure that progression?”

Other female competitors shared her opinion, Fader said, however, they were scared to speak out publicly against Dr. McKinnon. These riders feared being labeled discriminatory and insensitive, and thus kept their opinions to themselves. Indeed, one other rider from the race reached out to me to share a similar opinion to Fader’s. This rider wished to remain anonymous.

“There’s a lot of sensitivity here. I’ve spoken with women who are afraid to give their opinion because they think they will be deemed to be discriminating against transgender people, or that people will think they hate [transgender people],” Fader said. “I don’t think it’s about discrimination, I think it’s about looking logically at the rules.”

technicallyinept
    Free Member

But that’s exactly what  happened in the USA. Two junior transgender athletes (Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood) wiped the floor with their opposition in the Conneticut State Championships.

Transitioning in so far as presenting and living as girls but due to their age, they had not undergone ANY hormone treatment and were racing with all the advantages that male puberty brings.

https://youtu.be/kOQfyIhv9GM

theotherjonv

apologies, I was talking about senior / world level. It’s an ethical minefield for sure – do you bring the same rules into junior level and force people to undergo TG treatment to enable them to compete as their identified gender, but in doing so push people down a path that seems right at the time but longer term might not be?

And I’m not saying the current situation even for senior/world class athletes is right, it needs refining and sorting and I don’t know what the answer is, the point i am making is that IMHO I don’t think ‘good but in the grand scheme of things not great’ athletes are suddenly declaring themselves TG as a means of winning medals.

Maybe I’m not cynical enough and I suppose if there are ways to cheat then someone will always try to exploit them…… but weighed against the challenge of being accepted as TG in general, you’d have to really want that medal so bad.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure nobody’s doing it solely to “cheat”, it’s just internet **** saying that.

It’s just whether a fair system has been arrived at yet, I predict there will be changes.

philjunior
    Free Member

To me the issue is that whenever a TG athlete wins, people call unfair advantage. I’m sure the governing bodies have done what they can to balance the interests of everyone involved, on a number of levels.

Similar to the TUE thing, can’t we just trust that the governing bodies will achieve a reasonably level playing field?

mogrim

I’d go with the XX/XY distinction in elite level sports, and anyone intersex that doesn’t fit into that categorisation can choose where they want to compete. From what I’ve seen they’ve got enough shit already in their day-to-day life that giving them this choice is only fair.

Below elite (ie professional) levels just go with whatever people identify with. Again, some people might get an advantage over others but I find it hard to believe it’s actually going to be a huge issue, and if there’s no money involved the worse than can happen is to hurt the loser’s feelings. And of course anyone ambitious enough to be thinking about getting into elite sports would know about the chromosone test, and would train accordingly.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Below elite (ie professional) levels just go with whatever people identify with. Again, some people might get an advantage over others but I find it hard to believe it’s actually going to be a huge issue, and if there’s no money involved the worse than can happen is to hurt the loser’s feelings.

Hurt feelings? What about something like university Rugby? I think serious injury is more likely.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’m sure nobody’s doing it solely to “cheat”

I agree, but its not fair under the current rules.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’d go with the XX/XY distinction in elite level sports, and anyone intersex that doesn’t fit into that categorisation can choose where they want to compete. From what I’ve seen they’ve got enough shit already in their day-to-day life that giving them this choice is only fair.

Below elite (ie professional) levels just go with whatever people identify with. Again, some people might get an advantage over others but I find it hard to believe it’s actually going to be a huge issue, and if there’s no money involved the worse than can happen is to hurt the loser’s feelings.

Broadly agree, expect you have to apply it to grass roots level as well, for safety reasons and because literally 98pc of Female entrants will be disadvantaged and those hurt feels will result directly into people giving up the sport which would be a shame. I’m sure you’d hardly ever need to test anyone at grass roots level, but in the unlikely event a 6ft4 girl with a long reach turned up at a 6th form boxing match it would be nice for her opponent to be able to decline without being labelled a bigot.

theotherjonv

What about something like university Rugby? I think serious injury is more likely.

Possibly, equally rugby’s a sport where bigs and littles often come into unequal contact. I guess you could have an even bigger big but by the same token, should rugby put a limit on size irrespective of sex/gender.

I agree, but its not fair under the current rules.

Define ‘fair’ – because if fair means ‘within’ the rules then of course it’s fair. You think the rules are wrong (and I don’t disagree) but that’s a different thing.

TiRed

A few facts might not go amiss. In elite athletes the incidence of XY is about 140 times the general population. That lifts it to about the same as ginger hair. This publication was used to try and define thresholds for testosterone levels, apecifically for XY and notably Casta. The quality of the analysis is questionable, but incidence is not

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/99/11/4328/2836760

What do I think about competition as trans? Well it appears that a lifetime of doping on testosterone may confer some performance advantage, even after medical castration. This should not come as a surprise. One would see the same with other abuses such as EPO and HGH.  I therefore have difficulty with the masters result  I would have no difficulty with a competition of trans vs. other medical castrations (prostate cancer is a good example), and no issue with a prepubescent male to female trans taking hormone blockade since they have not experienced the benefits of testosterone during puberty (and vice versa but less likely).  physiologically, a long period of testosterone abuse in a biologically female athlete would be frowned upon in just the same way.

in road racing competition there is an age adjustment for gender, such that women can race a category down to men they race for different points  I’ve seen that as a 50-yo Cat 2, I’m competitive with Cat 1 women of all ages, but probably at or below an Elite. In time trialling there are standard adjustments for age and gender, but the endpoint is objective (unassisted speed). For track I’d look at the road racing option instead

tpbiker
    Free Member

The issue of safety is not one I’d considered but in reality is actually far more important than ‘fairness’ if I think about it.

Imagine a boxing match. Sure the weight categories would even things out but it would still be a concern. Worst case scenario would be at heavy weight where weight limit does not even come into it.

I think only solution is categorise by sex at birth, and if need be a separate category(s) for those that don’t feel they can compete in those categories. Classed in same way as para sports perhaps.

I’m sure people will shout discrimination etc etc but ultimately it’s not life or death, just sport, and the key underpinning of sport is that it should be fair. Banning trans from competing in certain categories isn’t great, in an ideal world it wouldn’t be required, but let’s face it its not as if its imposing Rosa parks levels of injustice on members of society.

mogrim

What about something like university Rugby? I think serious injury is more likely.

There’s already a difference between forwards and backs, and i’m not sure that size is a deciding factor when it comes to injury. But what’s the alternative? How can you identify trans people with a 100% success rate? What about intersex? Are you going to make them take a chromosome test before they can compete? What if she’s just a big woman? Seems pretty insulting and open to a lot of problems TBH…

Elite level there’s money involved, and that changes everything.

rene59
    Free Member

Imagine a boxing match.

How about MMA?

Google Fallon Fox.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I played women’s rugby at university. At 5’8′ and (back then) about 11 stone, I was one of the taller/larger players and played in the second row. The front line of the scrum was filled by larger women but, to be blunt, they were fat, not muscular.

Hannah Mouncey, the transgender Aussie rules football player is 6 feet tall and 100kg (so almost 16 stone).

Garry_Lager

There’s already a difference between forwards and backs, and i’m not sure that size is a deciding factor when it comes to injury. But what’s the alternative? How can you identify trans people with a 100% success rate? What about intersex? Are you going to make them take a chromosome test before they can compete? What if she’s just a big woman? Seems pretty insulting and open to a lot of problems TBH…

Elite level there’s money involved, and that changes everything.

Agree that this level here of (elite) amateur sport is where it doesn’t really matter too much at the end of the day, the rules should err on the side of maximum inclusivity. This current example is pretty polarising, in an already severely polarised debate, but most will be more reasonable. UCI women’s masters track sprint – everyone’s a grown up, it’s a high level but still racing for themselves really, and is well-equipped to deal  – witness Sarah Fader’s untoppable response to the bogosity of Mckinnon’s win.

Kids sports, though, that’s a different story and I don’t think you can just say leave it as there’s no money involved and it’s just children legging it round a bit of grass or whatever. That is self-evidently the future of women’s sport and young kids aren’t equipped to reason their way round the fact a MtF boy just crushed the race. Some more forthright regulation will be needed but God knows what that will be and how it can attempt to be even-handed.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

witness Sarah Fader’s untoppable response to the bogosity of Mckinnon’s win

You know McKinnon has grassed up Fader*  and Wagner to USA cycling?

https://twitter.com/rachelvmckinnon/status/1053089859894689793

Dr. Rachel McKinnon

@rachelvmckinnon
    Follow Follow @rachelvmckinnon
    More
    I’m not sure how @usacycling could NOT treat their behavior as violating this policy.

“All cycling participants are entitled to respectful treatment at all times during any sport oriented activity.”

Withdrawing in protest over my being trans is inherently DISrespectful.

*Fader, who has dedicated her life to the sport.

It seems McKinnon want’s subservience, not respect.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Doubt she’s going to win many friends with that approach. She is entitled to compete however her fellow competitors are equally entitled to not like it.

If I’d trained all my life only to miss out on being a world champ in such circumstances I’d be miffed as well. Probably wouldn’t have withdrawn however, but I do feel for the girl who got silver.

Some of the responses are pretty brutal but not sure she should be surprised by that

chakaping
    Free Member

She is entitled

Damn right she is. Not doing the bigger cause any favours at all IMO.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Define ‘fair’ – because if fair means ‘within’ the rules then of course it’s fair

Fair means a contest on an even footing, of course its fair within the rules, the rules are wrong, and not fair.

Ps I have read her twitter feed, jeepers, she ain’t helping no-one and is very entitled.
    The world is ****, it is developments like this that are driving the right wing, Trump, brexit the rest, Breitbart is loving this. If it cannot be discussed without people being vilified for their opinions then those people will become entrenched.
    It might be nice and fluffy and good for the psychology of people with gender dysphoria to be accepted as the gender they feel they should be, but its not reality for everyone else to pretend she is female.  She may well be woman gender, but she is not a member of the female sex. We need to be sensible about this.

People should have the right to decide their gender, the right of anyone to marry or have sex with whoever consents, the right for people to wear and do as they please as long as it harms no on else.

The workplace needs to be equalised.

All of these things are about actually ignoring peoples sex and gender, which aside from personal relationships is something I have always aspired to do, despite being programmed not to (and hence failing often).

But as someone else said, this does harm other people, people who have trained long to get to their position. Her crowing about her victory and trying to take down those who don’t feel right about it does not feel like equality to me, and there is a certain amount of hubris.

rene59
    Free Member

It seems McKinnon want’s subservience, not respect.

And a dollop of attention on top.

rhinofive

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but did McKinnon have any sort of comparable results (hopefully avoided the ”track record” pun) before starting racing as a woman?

Whilst I don’t imagine anyone would go through everything involved for a tinpot medal or two it would seem all that is stopping me (or many other middlemarkers) in Time Trials from winning the fastest woman prize is ‘self identifying’ as such…… although if I did I’d like to think I’d be a bit less of a bad winner than appears the case here.

No answers, but can’t see how equality at all costs can be good for anyone

technicallyinept
    Free Member

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/news/qa-dr-rachel-mckinnon-masters-track-champion-and-transgender-athlete_480206

RM: My sport background is in badminton. I moved to Charleston, South Carolina, to take up my job at the College of Charleston and there isn’t any elite badminton down here. I needed a new sport. I wasn’t good at running and I took spin classes and really fell in love with cycling and decided on a whim to buy a bike. I started racing on the road and turned out I was actually good at it, much better than I was at badminton. I raced on the road for three years, raced all over America and in Canada.

I was a road for three years and have raced on the track for the last year.

Speeder

She doesn’t mention whether this was before or after identifying as or becoming a woman though.

Right now she’s just acting like a bully and is doing her cause no favours whatsoever.

Is there anyone that supports her point of view?

rene59
    Free Member

Is there anyone that supports her point of view?

Yes, no one knows really how many they are, but they are very loud and vocal and have policy makers listening to them all over the place. Speak against them at your peril.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen this about the Master’s Track World Champs’ is closed to new replies.