Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone seen the Aussies?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

We go and put on a big party for the whole planet and the Australians are too busy reading to turn up.

“Given how much the average young Australian male would far prefer to engage you in a discussion on the finer points of Mallarmé or Euripides than bandy remarks on uncouth ball games, it is hardy astonishing that they have won such a pitiful number of medals.”

Australian ex-pat Bill McKay said: “Being a sports fan in Australia is incredibly lonely. There’s more to life than the intellect but try telling that to the average bloke in New South Wales.

“Take swimming. We could be good at it but it’s impossible to swim and read at the same time – you just end up going in circles. And you can’t get an Aussie to put their book down, even in the water.”

‘Bookish’ Australians indifferent to Olympics success

zokes
    Free Member

I don’t seem to be able to get anyone here to even acknowledge the concept of sport at the moment (apart from that there bastardised rugby game played on a cricket pitch!)

I suspect they’re happy to talk about that as they’re the only ones who play it, and are therefore the only ones who win (or lose) at it…

EDIT: Have posted the link on an Aussie mate’s facebook. This should be interesting…

mcboo
    Free Member

Australian Rules Football, a watered down version of the game which, according to those who have played it is ‘more like a mixture of chess and expressive dance’.

konabunny
    Free Member

Daily dialogue at the moment –

Other people: Did you see the Olympics last night?

Me: No, I hate watching sport. It’s an absolute zero for me.

Other people: Yeah, it was great, Vernon Al-Kublich scored 28 points in the team 100m volleyball diving…(droning on for many hours)

Pigface
    Free Member

Zokes has a mate shocker 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Pigface said something stupid

(again)

🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

toys19
    Free Member

I love the Mash. That was dead funny. Anyone who has been the recipient of rugby based “banter” from the Aussies will be lapping this up.

clubber
    Free Member

Does anyone know what has actually lead to the Aussies’ lack of performance this time round – cuts in sport funding or…?

wrecker
    Free Member

NIce to see the saffas doing so well, too. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bloody oath.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Currently 17th, i believe… and behind NZ/SA :oops::lol:

konabunny
    Free Member

Does anyone know what has actually lead to the Aussies’ lack of performance this time round

Carbon tax.

zokes
    Free Member

And “The Boat People”….

CountZero

Australians? Really? Where?

aracer
    Free Member

A couple I’ve seen on FB:

Hey kids, spelling is important. Look! The difference between won and one: Great Britain have just won gold. Australia have just one gold.

Apparently Australians also suffering “Olympic finger” – pain in finger caused by repeated scrolling down to see Australia’s medal tally.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s because non swimming countries sent swimmers

That link’s great!! 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Matt Pinsent’s twitter feed is great for some Aussie/Brit banter 🙂 I think he’s loving the role reversal (obviously generally rather than specific to him since he almost always beat the Aussies)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen the Aussies?’ is closed to new replies.