Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Anyone seen Pacific Rim yet?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Worth checking out?

Now you see me was utter bilge worst film in a very long time.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Looks terrible

But in a really good way !

You know when you see something that so disgusting that you have to look twice…. that this film for me

BigJohn

650b or 700c?

akira

The acting wasn’t great and the script is a bit ropey, excellent film though. Monsters fighting giant robots, what’s not to like?

nbt

I liked this article about it

Pacific Rim retitled Robots Twatting Monsters

slowjo
    Free Member

Let’s see.

Probably another formulaic offering from Hollywood. A thinly disguised allegory of how the greatest nation in the world stands alone against an external threat terrorists/aliens/robots/disease. The initial success of the threatening force exposes all sorts of failures within the socio-political system. Notwithstanding these flaws the hero(oes) who are themselves a metaphor for everything the USA stands for, ultimately prevail and they all live happily ever after. Society has been saved and the status quo returns. Americans have just had their fears exposed and their brows soothed (vicariously) through the medium of film.

Along the way there Hollywood style pyrotechnics and maybe the odd flash of female flesh. The hero/heroine are gritty and tough just like the US.

I think I have just saved you your entry fee.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not seen the film but I bet they’re not aliens, robots or terrorists. 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

I think I have just saved you your entry fee.

I appreciate that but needed popcorn 😉

You could level the same accusation against Skyfall but substitute the Yanks for Brits, it was still an entertaining film though IMO

slowjo
    Free Member

Mea Culpa re the popcorn! 🙂

Maybe I was being a bit cynical, it is entertainment after all. I think they do this sort of thing every summer….wasn’t Cloverfield in the same genre?

Now if you want a great film that includes cycling….. Jour du Fete (Jacques Tati) really clever, lots of laughs just a bit dated and it won’t be showing in any cinemas.

Damn…..turning into a grumpy old man. 😯

There must be a good film out there and fair cop re Skyfall.

br
    Free Member

We took my son, he really enjoyed it – whereas for us it was ok-to-good.

GrahamS

Mate of mine said “I didn’t think it was possible to make a giant-fighty-robots movie that was worse than the Transformers films, but somehow they managed it”

fasthaggis

Monsters fighting giant robots, what’s not to like?

Eggzaktly 🙂

Some people are too fussy,is it really that hard to watch a trailer and then decide if it’s for you or not.
    It’s like the crowds that rocked up to see The Artist then moaned about the sound quality 😉

footflaps

Got a good review on Last Exit to Nowhere: https://www.facebook.com/LastExitToNowhere

Went to see Pacific Rim last night, a film I was really excited about seeing: Guillermo De Toro, monsters and robots, a seemingly dream combination.

Set on Earth in the near future where it’s being invaded by Kaiju (Godzilla on steriod type alien beasts) that emerge from a dimension breach at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. The death and destruction left in the Kaiju’s wake forces humanity to unite and create the Jaeger programme – giant robots pilotted by 2 mentally compatible ‘Rangers’.

I hoped it would be good, but was wary as summer blockbusters over the last few years have been CGI dominated, no plot, poor characters, overly long and drawn out affairs (Transformers a case in point). I’m pleased to say that this film was soooo so good, I was smiling throughout at how much fun it was, how clever, inventive, colourful and non-stop adrenaline rush. It’s epic in scale and everything is so well designed and even though there is a lot of CGI it feels like a grounded and real world. It’s packed with wow moments, doesn’t repeat it’s tricks, action sequences are just the right length and 3d IMAX really enhanced the experience.

It was the first time in a long time that I have left the cinema feeling how I did: excited, enthralled, delighted, thrilled and blown away by the sheer spectacle of it all. I think the last time was T2. – Mark

househusband

…maybe the odd flash of female flesh.

None, to be precise.

It was okay; I only went to the cinema to see it so I could see what all the 3D fuss was about!

rossi46
    Free Member

Probably another formulaic offering from Hollywood.

Like just about every other film in this day and age 🙄

But hey-

Take it all with a pinch of salt and enjoy 😀

Pass the popcorn!

Torminalis
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a hoot! If you are expecting nuanced characterisation and emotional content you may be disappointed but if you want to see giant robots and monsters kicking seven bells out of each other you will be like a pig in sh*t. Like I was.

Northwind

I really enjoyed it. I mean, there’s holes you could walk a really big robot through, but that’s pretty much a given and it’s handled with the right amount of knowing winks. Some bits don’t work brilliantly, but the robots punching the monsters does- it’s not just bewildering like some FX fests are these days, it’s all very physical and heavy… Silly idea, mostly well executed.

slowjo – Member

Probably another formulaic offering from Hollywood. A thinly disguised allegory of how the greatest nation in the world stands alone against an external threat terrorists/aliens/robots/disease. The initial success of the threatening force exposes all sorts of failures within the socio-political system. Notwithstanding these flaws the hero(oes) who are themselves a metaphor for everything the USA stands for, ultimately prevail and they all live happily ever after. Society has been saved and the status quo returns. Americans have just had their fears exposed and their brows soothed (vicariously) through the medium of film.

Along the way there Hollywood style pyrotechnics and maybe the odd flash of female flesh. The hero/heroine are gritty and tough just like the US.

Just so’s you know, this is mostly wrong.

stimpy
    Free Member

Torminalis’ review just made my day 😆

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Pacific Rimjob.

Kato

Pigface – Member

Now you see me was utter bilge worst film in a very long time.

Terrible wasn’t it. Thought perhaps Isla Fisher would save it but I was very very wrong

jam-bo

I’m looking forward to Pacific Rimjob.

its probably already been made…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Been v broke so no trips to the pictures for ages.

The World’s End though, that’s gonna be the one to break the duck!

R.e. Pacific Rim:

Kermode said “If you’re going to make a monsters fighting robots movie, this is the way to do it.”

Simon Mayo said “Very very very loud, very good too.”

Paraphrases, of course.

CountZero

It’s del Toro doing a film where giant alien monsters and giant robots give each other the ass-kicking of the century, and undulging in massive urban renewal at the same time. Ticks a whole bunch of boxes for me.

Cougar

Does it have exploding helicopters?

Torminalis
    Free Member

Does it have exploding helicopters?

Yes. You are treated to an exploding jet in the opening moments too.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I loved Pacific Rim, going to see it again! Bizarrely I didn’t find the overblown action repetitive (or the plot holes as annoying) as I did with Man of Steel.

ChrisL

I really enjoyed it. There were occasionally some minor attempts to subvert the cliches and plot “twists” typical of a big Hollywood action movie but generally you could still see them coming as easily as you could see a giant robot stomping towards you. However the giant robot-v-giant monster smackdown side of things was glorious and the plot held together well enough to enable this.

If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept giant humanoid robots being a good solution to anything, then there isn’t anything in the movie sillier than that.

Cougar

Yes. You are treated to an exploding jet in the opening moments too.

Well, I’m sold.

(Though TBH, I was sold at GLaDOS on the trailer).

verses

as I did with Man of Steel

Mr Snyder, could you film Superman being thrown through a building again please? I don’t think I caught it the first 600 times…

justatheory
    Free Member

I promised myself no more big Hollywood Blockbusters after Man of Steel, Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus. I think I’ve just got old because once upon a time I would’ve enjoyed those films. Still tempted to watch this though, the trailers always get me – maybe I should just stick to trailers.

justatheory
    Free Member

Mr Snyder, could you film Superman being thrown through a building again please? I don’t think I caught it the first 600 times…

Exactly how I felt. I ended up wishing it would end, it started promisingly as well.

Torminalis
    Free Member

…and for god sake, do not in any way comprehend this before going to watch it.

verses

Exactly how I felt. I ended up wishing it would end, it started promisingly as well.

Loved it up to the point where he’s fighting Zod’s 2 buddies in the street. After that it just became an hour-long sequence of immortal people futilely hitting and throwing each other…

Northwind

But why is it called Gipsy Danger? Did Hora name it? It doesn’t even scan. Sounds alright when GLaDOS says it though.

I want a special extended DVD with, oh, 100% more russian buckethead robot. Best jaeger by far. Oh and more Idris Elba shouting

househusband

I thought the plot wholly credible, within the realms of reality but for one thing… that they’d have us believe that only eight Chinook helicopters could lift a nuclear powered jaeger!

nuke

Just seen it…son loved it, I loved the action bits but the script was cringy and after the first 15mins of action it then dragged a bit then picked up in the last hour…they should have kept the pace/action going and shaved about 40mins off but then again…

…THIS 😀

z1ppy

Wow, so glad I didn’t see this thread and rush to the cinema to see it (or maybe it made it watch-able), and I love a bit of tat film wise, but P-R was complete rubbish, without doubt the biggest load of bilge I’ve seen in a long long time…
    I watched every minute on Sky (even though there was calls to fast forward it), just so that I’m not tempted to start watching it again, when channel hopping..

CountZero

Well, at least you’ll know not to bother going to see the sequel then.

z1ppy

Sequel! 😯

I’m currently struggling with whether or not to go and see Godzilla… usually bad films give all the “good stuff” away in the trailer, this one doesn’t even give you that, ho hum..

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Love it!!! It has robots fighting, thats good enough for me 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen Pacific Rim yet?’ is closed to new replies.