Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Anyone running eewings cranks?
  • turneround

Been looking for a while at a set of the MTN cranks.fkr a moots build. Apart for the rediculous cost has anyone who has a set got an opinion on them in terms of usage, performance and overall build. Cheers

tomhoward

I’ve a couple of sets. They go together well, are very light, look amazing, but don’t feel noticeably stiffer than decent carbon offerings, to me anyway.

turneround

Thanks. Also looking at the white m30 crankset which is also quite tasty…

squealer
    Free Member

Ingrid components do some nice chainsets as well if you’re not set on ee wings.

edd

I’m a bit biased but I like my additive manufactured (3D printed) titanium cranks…
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CF1tkkvHPLX/

zerocool

I’d love a set but can’t justify the price. As soon as I can I’m getting a pair, just need the 2 1/2 year old twins to grow up, graduate and move out, but after that I am all over a pair😜.

They’re so pretty (the cranks, the kids are ok but look a bit too much like me)

sanername

I’ve got a set coming for a Seven Cycles road bike I’ve had built, but the frame seems to have got stuck in the US.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I’ve got a set and absolutely love them. There beautifully designed and manufactured and light. If you’ve got the money why not?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you’ve got the money why not?

They do not offer good value.

nixie

Not much MTB stuff does.

If they did a longer axle I’d have a set for my Tarn ti (and a nice to handlebar).

tuboflard

Slightly tongue in cheek question but can you tell the difference between a set of cranks at this sort of price compared to, say, the XT cranks on my bike?

Not trying to be difficult as genuinely interested in knowing if you get what you pay for (very much my motto normally).

RickDraper
    Free Member

I have a few pairs and they are really nice. No worries about pedal or spindle inserts disbonding and they do look very nice.

bedmaker

I’ve happily spent a fortune on bikes over the past decade, but I couldn’t bring myself to get eewings.
    All the expensive bits I’ve bought have an actual performance benefit of some sort. I have three Onyx hubs for instance, not bling, just a great bit of kit.

The CC cranks are mostly bling imo. If money was no object I’d have four sets for sure, as they do seem to be tough and well made.
    For the money though, they just don’t offer enough benefit over Shimano or Middleburn.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not much MTB stuff does.

Correct, just the low and mid range stuff, which many on are aren’t interested in.

can you tell the difference between a set of cranks at this sort of price compared to, say, the XT cranks on my bike?

Their stiffness is similar from what I recall (happy to be corrected). I doubt you will notice the difference of 200gm(?) when riding.

edd

Slightly tongue in cheek question but can you tell the difference between a set of cranks at this sort of price compared to, say, the XT cranks on my bike?

Not trying to be difficult as genuinely interested in knowing if you get what you pay for (very much my motto normally).

Talking about my cranks, rather than eeWings, the honest answer is they’re significantly lighter but in use it’s impossible to tell the difference.

beagle
    Free Member

Me me me!!!

Well, the CC preload ring on my RF turbines. Does that count?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Leaving the price/value issue aside, I think not offering a 165mm in the MTN spec was an error by Cane Creek. For that reason I’d never get a set for my MTB.

They’d go nicely on a trick 1x gravel build though (at 170mm)….

tomhoward

They make a 165mm now

Raouligan
    Free Member

Ingrid I think are limited or are based around FSA bearings? It wasn’t something I felt I could live with?

I also know of once set that’s snapped on riding round Town so not aggressive usage by any stretch of the imagination.

The White Industries I could be tempted by, I would love a pair of the EE wings I’m debating a pair of them on my next build with a custom set of Ti bars, I’m just deciding how strong the Need actually is…

funkmasterp

They do look lovely, but I wholeheartedly believe anything above SLX grade if you’re not a professional has serious diminishing returns/doesn’t make much difference. If you’ve got the cash and you like them just go for it though. Make sure you post pictures is all I ask

mattbee

I’d love a set but I got so much stick from my riding  mates for buying Praxis Lyft at half that price that I don’t think I could cope if I turned up with them!

13thfloormonk

A set of these might just make the last three months at work worth it…

Could you fit a set to an otherwise fairly workmanlike gravel bike? I do already have some oil slick titanium bottle cage bolts if that helps…

Superficial
    Free Member

I didn’t know this product existed. This is not about engineering the perfect MTB crank, it’s about showing off the size of your wallet. It has no place in MTBing IMHO.

Have a word with yourself.

P.S. I say that as someone who has a pretty expensive MTB. I’m not some bimbling luddite stuck on a 1990s steel hardtail.

mattbee

Lol at the irony of your user name… 😜

13thfloormonk

This is not about engineering the perfect MTB crank, it’s about showing off the size of your wallet. It has no place in MTBing IMHO.

Is the WRONG answer. 😎

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I have a pair on my 2018 YT capra and banshee rune V3. Very light and stiff. Comparing to any am/enduro sram/shimano/DMR/RF crank. Paired with the hellbender BB been set and forget for wet Scottish riding.

With them I got my capra to under 14.5kg and it ended up being my long distance bike. Climbing it I was like nah, no way. Felt fresher at the top over my old Norco Optic 125mm.

kelvin

If I could afford them, I’d buy them. As someone said though, anything beyond SLX cranks is tiny gains for lots of money.

tomhoward

Could you fit a set to an otherwise fairly workmanlike gravel bike?

Only if you can find them in stock. They stopped producing that finish last year.

13thfloormonk

Only if you can find them in stock.

Oh god, it feels like destiny then, the only ones left available in the UK are the 170mm allroad models, a perfect match for my bike…

greeny30
    Free Member

A lot of people buying these, especially the oil slick ones are bike ponces, the look at me everybody types with their £3000+ frame, trickstuff brakes, Chris King or Industry Nine hubs getting a semi everytime someone admires their bike that probably hasn’t got a scratch on it, guarantee their equipment far exceeds their bike handling skills, atgni is very present in biking, its not about performance or weight saving most of the time, just look at how much I can spend on my bike.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

New stock in April.

Raceface Next Rs are great IMO. Also DMR AXE. We have a test set here on a Morph FS, See Morphcycles instasham. Taken a beating.

Sram GX Eewings.

Akers

I bought mine when buying a new frame, as they came with a healthy discount. They’re as light as any of the carbon cranks available, but without the nagging fear of them snapping or getting crunched on a rock.
    I see them as long term biking investment that I’ll move from bike to bike and hopefully continue to use for many years to come.

nixie

I don’t think I could cope if I turned up with them!

You need to turn up first Matt 😘.

13thfloormonk

atgni is very present in biking, its not about performance or weight saving most of the time, just look at how much I can spend on my bike.

it’s about showing off the size of your wallet. It has no place in MTBing IMHO.

Wow, the bitterness is strong in this thread! Had you guys genuinely never realised that boutique parts exist for bikes?

Is it perhaps possible that maybe people love riding AND love fancy kit? I’m dangerously close to ordering a set because basically I’ve had a seriously crappy few months at work, the credit card can take the hit, and they’ll almost certainly make me happier than £1000 worth of ‘sensible’ components.

I will then go out and put in some legitimately rough and muddy gravel miles on them, if it makes you any happier 😎

tomhoward

A lot of people buying these, especially the oil slick ones are bike ponces, the look at me everybody types with their £3000+ frame, trickstuff brakes, Chris King or Industry Nine hubs getting a semi everytime someone admires their bike that probably hasn’t got a scratch on it, guarantee their equipment far exceeds their bike handling skills, atgni is very present in biking, its not about performance or weight saving most of the time, just look at how much I can spend on my bike.

*waves* (still waiting on the trickstuff brakes for this one, T minus 3 months.)

It’s absolutely about performance and weight saving. Why would I not want the best kit I can get hold of? I earn a fair bit less than the national average, FWIW.

How good do I have to be to ride it?

Do you have enough chips on your shoulder for everyone?

greeny30
    Free Member

13thfloormonk is you don’t fit the criteria my comments weren’t aimed at you so why take offence. Did it make you ask yourself why do I really want them and feel a little bit embarrassed about the real answer, if not chill, I didn’t say everyone who owns them is an attention seeking sad beatch, we can all tell the difference and spot atgni types a mile off, but if you’re on every forum going posting pictures of your bikes to brag and trying to get a super nice on gmbn to feel all warm n fuzzy inside its just sad. Again if it doesn’t apply to you then no offence should be taken. No bitterness or envy on my part I’m lucky enough to be financely secure, if my girlfriend took £1000 out of my account I probably wouldn’t notice and my brother still owes me £4000 that I’ll probably never see again, I just don’t feel the need to buy expensive things to feel special or get a big head when people say ooh nice bike as I ride past.
    Tom LOOK AT ME EVERYBODY Howard, sorry if I hit a nerve, for someone who has sly digs at half the people on here you have very thin skin 😀 couldn’t resist posting that pic i see.

chiefgrooveguru

“ I just don’t feel the need to buy expensive things to feel special or get a big head when people say ooh nice bike as I ride past”

One of the biggest mistakes when understanding others is assuming that they think about life like you do. There are more than two reasons to get nice bike things, it’s not just down to feeling you’re special because you’ve bought something expensive or wanting others to notice your fancy stuff.

13thfloormonk

13thfloormonk is you don’t fit the criteria my comments weren’t aimed at you so why take offence.

Nah, I’m secure enough in my foolish purchasing habits, I just generally don’t like people fostering resentment because others like having nice kit, I mean, what harm are all the ATGNI types doing to you?

I mean, by the standards of the pro riders, we’re ALL ATGNI and none of us should be running anything nicer than Acera…

endomick
    Free Member

Isn’t that kinda what greeny said chief.
    Ooh nice bike Tom 😁 I don’t think you’ve changed his mind.
    Eewing
    Enve
    Chris King
    Axs
    Trickstuff
    Have you got some Intend forks on order or are they on your more boutiquier bike, check out hammerhead 360 stem its only £400.🤣

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Would have a set if I could afford them. Carbon has no place in MTB cranks and ally ones generally look pretty gash after a few rides. In a fit of pimpery I put XTR 9120s on my RocketMax and 9 months on, whilst functionally fine, they look beaten to crap and therefore worthless as a secondhand sales prospect thanks to heel rub and rockstrikes. EEwings I suspect wouldn’t have a mark on them.

At 62kg, I can also justify a bit of weightweenism more than most!

Having fitted a set or 2 – they’re not perfect though. 30mm axle is suboptimal IMO, and you need to copperslip the **** out of them or the big bolt joining the 2 halves together can seize. I also know people who’ve had no end of issues with them coming loose.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running eewings cranks?’ is closed to new replies.