Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone running a diesel Toyota Avensis?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just been looking at a colleagues & i must say I’m impressed at 1st sight. His is a 2.0 TR (estate) & couldn’t believe the amount of space.
    Anyone any opinions?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My Mate has one. Dull but competent. He has the 180bhp version. It’s quick but still fails to raise a smile. comfortable enough though.

My Skoda VRS was less powerful but loads more fun to drive but it broke down a lot.

I bet my mates Toyota never breaks down though.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I have a 2012 2lt diesel saloon as a company car. There is loads of room inside and the boot is enormous. It’s pretty economical but a bit boring to drive, but I am ok with that !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s pretty economical but a bit boring to drive, but I am ok with that !

Well I’ve been driving a Passat for 8 years so I’m used to ‘boring’
    thinking more about space/economy/reliability/etc.

Clobber
    Free Member

Good space, more than 3 series or A4. more gadgets also

Very reliable, fuel efficency was ok at 44mpg for 90mph motorway antics

Just dull as hell, I have an A4 2.0tfsi quattro now, much more fun…

DezB
    Free Member

My mate’s just bought one too. S’ok – but not as big a boot as my Mondeo (wheel arches) and just not quite as nice interior as the Mondeo IMO.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t think they were very economical on paper when I looked. Everyone goes on about them being ‘dull’ but not everyone’s looking for a boy racer special, are they?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Everyone goes on about them being ‘dull’ but not everyone’s looking for a boy racer special, are they?

Cheers molgrips! I’m 56 (this year) got the T shirt for boy racer stuff thanks.

molgrips
    Free Member

Having said that, my mate complained about the handling and he swears he wasn’t pushing it, just normal driving on lots of windy country A roads. Not sure I believe him mind! ( 😉 if you are reading)

chewkw
    Free Member

It is a boy racer car in other part of the world … :mrgreen:

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Ive got one. Its dull but big ! Hopefully more reliable than my awful mazda 6. Kit levels are good on tr models. Minuses for bikers are no proper roof rails.

I get about 45 mpg out of it

jota180
    Free Member

Get the 2.2 if you can find one

I had a 2006 2.2 as a company car until last year
    Loved it, loads of space and very economical

I now have the 2.0 version, not as economical – by at least 10%

konabunny
    Free Member

Everyone goes on about them being ‘dull’ but not everyone’s looking for a boy racer special, are they?

But when you talk about this topic, you should disclose that you (and I) drive the legendarily most boring car on the road. 😉

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I had 3 of the old, new shape ones as co. cars – 2.0 wasn’t as good as the 2.2 on fuel!

They all went without a hitch till well past 100k and then all I ever needed doing was a clutch!

If you are unfortunate enough to be hit from behind when stationary, by a golf traveling at approx 40mph, then you will probally be better off than the golf and its silly driver! (I drove away from that one!)

The only downside I could ever find (apart from the boring side) was when the boot was loaded the rear would drop…. really soft rear suspension!

Much better than my 2.0d volvo v70 I am getting shot of soon 😆

rabyoung
    Free Member

I had the 2.2D Estate T-Spirit from new for 3 years (2005 to 2008). Like everyone says, dull but a great load carrier and fairly reliable. The gearbox oilseal required replacing (slipping clutch) and it beltched like a WW1 destroyer ‘making smoke’ when booted. Still, it returned an indicated 56mpg @ 70ish.

molgrips
    Free Member

But when you talk about this topic, you should disclose that you (and I) drive the legendarily most boring car on the road.

Passats? 🙂 Yeah I admit it’s not an exciting car in the sporty sense, but I’ve found that I really enjoy comfortable long distance cruising. There’s more than one way to enjoy a drive.

konabunny
    Free Member

Ahhh, I do apologise, Im confusing you with someone else, molgrips!

chewkw
    Free Member

ciderinsport – Member

I had 3 of the old, new shape ones as co. cars – 2.0 wasn’t as good as the 2.2 on fuel!

They all went without a hitch till well past 100k and then all I ever needed doing was a clutch!

So if you get one with an automatic gear problem sorted … no clutch to fluff but on a downside the fuel mileage might cost you a bit. Not much but more.

That’s why I got one with auto gear and it looks as dull as a pensioner trying to become a teenager … yes, dull. Really. Definitely not a chick magnet but your dentist might like you because he can sense your demand for false teeth driving a dull car.

faint
    Free Member

We the last version 2006 2.2 T-spirit. Loads of room, rear leg especially and does what its meant to do in comfort and without fuss. Short journeys do clog the egr (like an other diesel i suppose)but thats the wife doing 6 miles a day.
    Enjoy it so much I went and bought a Yaris at the weekend for my runaround.

brassneck

I think the boring tag comes from the interior – I’ve a Corolla Verso, and it should come with it’s own espresso dispenser purely for safety reasons. There’s only so many times you can dim and brighten the dash display.

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you expect? Dancing girls? 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I had 2 2004 Avensi, the first was a diesel, hatch company car that I did about 65K in from new over 2.5 years. Faultless, did go through a lot of front tyres as a diesel fwd in the hands of a 22yo is want to do. I later came back to the fold with a 1.8 petrol, which obviously wasn’t as economical. I could take 2 disassembled bikes in the boot with the back seats up though (I remember when I ordered the first one they had the biggest boot in class by quite a long way).

Handling can’t be described as lively, but the trade off is that they’re good for doing long distances, even on crappy Northumberland A roads. The diesel was okay in the snow too.

Oh I took the dash to bits and muted the seatbelt buzzer a bit, that was a good mod.

boot stays aren’t strong enough for the hefty lid on the hatch.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks for those inputs! Must look into it a bit more as I’ve always said ‘my next car will be another Passat’ purely on the reliability/economy/space/comfort/longevity that I’ve had with mine which is on 220K!

Northwind

I had an Avensis estate hire car- petrol, mind- and couldn’t work out how it was that it was longer and wider and I think taller than my Focus, yet had much less space in the back… Not that it’s the worst but that did put me off.

Nice enough car in most ways though.

project
    Free Member

Nobody would nick a Toyota car, so a good buy.

anokdale
    Free Member

Just sold on my 2005 2.4 T4 Petrol, nothing special to look at but comfortable,reliable etc. I was passed it on from my father in law and was thinking about getting a newer model but went out and bought a C 18O Merc instead. 😀

Gribs

I had one as a hire car for a trip from Skipton to Bristol and back. Fairly comfortable, cruised well and generally ok on the motorway. However it was completely joyless and so boring I was very worried about falling asleep. Even attempting to thrash it along nice country roads just wasn’t fun and it was a hire car ffs so was given no sympathy.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you really live around the corner from Pollockshields West, nick1962?

nick1962
    Free Member

Manchester actually.Still too far from this car though 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    What do you expect? Dancing girls?

Asterix!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a diesel Toyota Avensis?’ is closed to new replies.