Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone running a 140mm fork on their Occam?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apologies for opening a new thread on this, but the question would get a bit lost in the other one.

Looking to buy a m10 and was going to get the Fox 36 150mm upgrade.( Instead of 34 140mm). Mainly because it’ll lift the BB a bit, partly because it sounds good for downhills but probably just mainly because “well, you do, don’t you”. If 140mm is good then 150mm is even gooder.

That seemed to be Douglas’ view and I may be being swayed a bit by that.

Then speaking to the bike shop man, he was very much of the opinion I should stick with 140. I told him I generally cycle XC and enjoy the ups as much as the downs ( though part of the reason for buying this bike is to change that). I’m very weight conscious. Want to do long big rides which need a fairly light bike.
    He said the 150mm will only increase BB height a tiny bit, it’ll weigh 200g more and really won’t have much benefit for my type of riding.

Which makes sense, I guess. But who, ever, has bought a 140mm fork when they could have a 150mm fork for only €150 more …..🤔🤔

Given that last month I was dead set on an Oiz, or a Scalpel, why am I even thinking of the 150mm?

( Because I had an epiphany on the Grizedale. Descents at the weekend and realised downhill is fun)

Tell Me.

martinhutch

I recently ‘upgraded’ the Fox 34s on my Occam from 140 to 150 with a new airshaft – only 30 quid or so if you want to have a go. I guess in an attempt to put some distance between them and the Fox 34 120s on my other bike.

Rides fine, but I’m not convinced yet that the extra travel compensates for the extra wanderyness up front. If you’re a hard hitting rider, then maybe, but for someone like me who is a bit more considered when it comes to drops and jumps, I’m not sure I need the extra 10mm. The old airshaft is winking at me from the spares box.

And of course, I have the shorter travel 29er for all my other riding – if you don’t , then I’d agree with your LBS bloke.

davros

140 34 here on my m30. Suits me perfectly but I’m not a jumper. I do like fast rocky descending though and it handles it all very well. I don’t get any sense of flex, feels just as stiff as my 35mm pike on the other bike. But I don’t weigh much at 70kgs. For your riding I’d stick with the 34.

tails
    Free Member

I’m on 140mm 34s, I always get the impression the people who have speced 36s believe it’s a better quality/feeling fork than the 34 rather than because they wanted 10mm more travel.

I can still charge downhill quick enough, it’s in climbs I had some pedal strikes.

scuttler

Get a ruler out and measure 10mm. It’s nowt.

cheers_drive

The 34 is now available with a grip 2 damper but unfortunately Orbea only give the option of the Fit4

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

150mm 36’s here but it’s more about the 36’s than the extra 10mm. As mentioned in the other thread I’m not a small chap and combining that with my Tweed Valley location leaving the 34’s on wasn’t considerd for even a second. I couldn’t swear to it but I don’t think the shop I got mine from (Pedals in Edinburgh) has sold any of their Occams with the 34’s, think all the ones they ordered were with the 36’s.

Once again though, it’s less about the extra travel and more about the extra beefiness and the GRIP2.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a 140mm fork on their Occam?’ is closed to new replies.