Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone running 48t big ring on a triple chainset?
  • giantx4
    Free Member

Does it all work ok & if so whats the fastest youve been? #justwondered…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, my rigid Marin has this on an LX HT2 chainset. Its kinda of a winter hack and doubles as a road bike (of sorts). 48t for me works well.
    Speed offroad is nothing remarkable (fully rigid innit) and on the road, I’ve done about 45ish, I think.

nedrapier

Bout the same as him ^ prob 45ish but that’s down hill, obvs.

Single ring on the roadie type thing, 1 x 9, 11-34. I’m guessing you’re talking mtb? This is 700c and fat wheels, so gearing will work out higher than 26″ wheels

I’m not strong enough to spin out 48T x 11 on the flat, put it that way!

tomhoward

I have a double setup with a 50t on 2 of my bikes? 😉 I tend to get a bit worryful around 40mph though. Especially on the ploughed roads round ‘ere

giantx4
    Free Member

Haha! But none of u guys use triple chainset though?.. Ye im talkin mtb #gianttrance looking to top my 52mph top end down fast trail this summer as spinning out with the 44t but wondered as need to move front mech up to miss the 48t monster would shifting up & down to middle ring be affected?

D0NK

32 – 48 is a hell of a jump and a 22-32-48 is a massive range for a rear mech to take up the slack. 48 will hook up on more stuff too.

Unless you’re going to buy a skinsuit and start riding down ski slopes I’d be happy with your 52mph and leave your gearing alone.

core

Guy Martin posting under a pseudonym?

giantx4
    Free Member

Mmmmm indeed DONK is talking sense…i guess maybe a 46t would make more sense but is there such a ring to fit my shimano 4 bolt chainset?..yes 52 is fast but when it comes to defending koms anything is possible ha!!! ….u can call me guy #lad

tomhoward

How many times a ride do you max your 44? at those speeds you are better off changing your position to get more aero, which really isn’t the done thing on an mtb. Want to go really fast? TT bike with 56-11 down the steepest hill you can find. Best of British to you.

Hashtags? Really? Oh yeah, half term.

giantx4
    Free Member

Ahahahaha!!! #hellyeah #hashtagking ye theres only one segment where 52 is acheivable #crestarun but wanted a tad faster this year… Maybe i just shave me side burns off instead? #aero

Dickyboy

Commuter kona kula has 48/36/26 triple – you’ll need to raise the front mech up to clear the chainring & ideally increase the chain length too (I didn’t & have inadvertently gone big to big one more than one occasion that results in complete drive train lock up :oops:)

giantx4
    Free Member

Dickyboy yes all this is sounding a bit negative…i just have to spin faster in top gear ….cant be losing the fastest kom in our area!!!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Yep, got a 48t big ring on my MTB although I run 24t, 36t, 48t with 11-36t on the back.

I’ve still got a lowish bottom gear 24 – 11 for them steep climbs & a gert big 11 – 48 for the downhill blasts.

As the others have said you’ll get around 45mph-ish depending on the size of yer kahunas 😀

Mikkel
    Free Member

almost sure its what i got on my hardtail, which used to be a fully rigid commuter.
    can have it in any gear combinations without lock up.

Dickyboy

can have it in any gear combinations without lock up.

mine only locked up because I didn’t increase the chain length when I went to 48t & went big to big by mistake

lesgrandepotato

How about one legged spinning intervals to build up your cadence and smooth put your pedal strokes?

giantx4
    Free Member

Many thanks for the greatest mtb advice out there guys #singletrackcollective

nick1962
    Free Member

48,36,28 with an 11-32 cassette (9 speed)on my rigid mtb.Chainset was originally a 48/38/28 but the Deore front mech couldn’t shift between the top 2 chainrings so I changed the middle ring to a 36.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Do hashtags work in this forum then?

Oh and my 48t is on a triple. 22/36/38 + 11-32 cassette. Its all good.

giantx4
    Free Member

Bigyinn aparantly the # thing is in the minority on here #dunnowhy

bigyinn
    Free Member

Because they dont work?

PJay
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that I used to have an Octalink Deore chainset that went 26, 36,48. I think that the 26, 36, 48 pattern kept the same tooth difference as a 22, 32, 44 allowing a standard derailleur to work with either arrangement; I’d guess that if you went 22, 32 ,48 you might have issues.

hunty155
    Free Member

Trancex4 you watch that KOM boy! The rigid inbred is ready to kick some a**e this summer. Haha.

6hours
    Free Member

This sounds serious Giantx4
    Its not really about whether your ring is big enough…

but you had better have a word with the Duckman to put some catch fencing in his paddock at the bottom of the run in case it all goes Pete Tong.

giantx4
    Free Member

Ahahahaha! Hunty!.. We will see eh!! The rigid will shake itself to a thousand peices!!??.. Stevo ha mate gotta love winding the locals up eh!! I hope you mending well mate!.. Trev rekons theyve cleared some bushes etc at the bottom of cresta?.. Catch you guys soon 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

54mph in 1991 on my Saracen with a big fat Pace 48 tooth ring. Not had such a big one since the 90s…

giantx4
    Free Member

Tomaso! Impressive!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running 48t big ring on a triple chainset?’ is closed to new replies.