• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone running 2.35" G-Ones on the roads in this changeable weather?
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

First world problem of the day… Which tyres to fit on the Wazoo 29er wheels for the wet season, replacing 28mm Grand Sport Races (that I want to fit to my road bike over winter)? 😆

2.35″ G-Ones: Ran them early summer, great on the road, bar a single rear puncture. Only replaced them with the 28mm bargains to try a narrow tyre for summer and see if I could break the 15min barrier to work (successfully done once)! Only recall riding them hard in some rain once, skidded to a stop from ~20mph when some twunt pulled out of a side road and blocked my clear lane because they could not get into the second lane approaching roundabout.

2.3″ BSC Type 1s (re-badged Speedsters): Untested £8 each bargains. Heavier at ~1.5Kg for the pair vs ~1.1Kg for the G-Ones, but they have the central honeycomb “tread” and well defined grooves on the side. Might cope better with any bits of off-road I fancy tackling over winter, G-Ones aren’t supposed to be great off-road in wet conditions.

35mm(~32 really?) Randonneur Pros: Used very briefly last summer in dry, unusually low max pressure of 70PSI meant they felt horrid to ride at the time (but I was ~15Kg heavier back then), might not be so bad now if I used ~60/65PSI. They feel like they have a decent puncture protection layer, bit of tread definition, ~0.8Kg for the pair.

38mm Marathon Crosses: Bit heavy but they are wire bead, ~1.1Kg for the pair. But they roll great and very little wear from ~1000 miles, a bargain for £16 at PX last time I looked. Only snag is I finally get these back from a ~4/5 month loan this coming weekend!

38mm 45Nrth Gravdals: Bought from CTBM for ~£35 each(?) in late Jan, guaranteeing no more icy conditions for the year! Like my other tyres off bikes, they’ve been shielded from UV to keep them in good shape. ~250 studs per tyre, with CX style off-road knobs. Fitting them now means no panic over winter if ice/frost arrives, but the unknown is how much they might wear if I fit them now. ~1.6Kg for the pair beasts! 😯

Slight downer is I thought I could fit the rear BSC Type1 and keep the quick-fit Beavertail XL mudguard on, but no dice. I’ve got a rear Fatguard, but it doesn’t offer the same level of protection to the bike.

What would STWers do ❓

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Short term dilemma beyond my control, discovered I only had one SV19A tube without a puncture, so provisionally BSC Type1 on rear and Randonneur Pro on front for less aero drag. 😈

Could swap the rear to Randonneur Pro too, but not sure I’ve got the energy now and about to have dinner, then nearly bed time!

Must add some tubes to my shopping list.

thepodge
    Free Member

Go tubeless

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lexhorton
    Free Member

I’ve got a boxed pair in my garage if you’re interested.
    tubeless type
    about 2 miles on them
    failed experiment to try them on my plus bike

djflexure

I’m running G-Ones tubeless -but mainly in the dry so far. They are nice and fast for a commute. No drag to speak of. Cant see what the problem would be on roads over winter unless they turn out to be a bit fragile or wear really quickly. I use them off road on canal towpaths and they are fine. Depends how much off road you want to do.

Rik
    Free Member

lexhorton – drop me some details please

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running 2.35" G-Ones on the roads in this changeable weather?’ is closed to new replies.