Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone running 165mm cranks on an mtb?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not normally one to get too bothered about crank length – over the three bikes I have I have three different crank lengths and can’t really notice a difference when I jump from one bike to the other, but they are all different bikes – 175 on my MTB, 172.5 on my road bike, 170 on my commuter/gravel/muck about with the kids hack. But I’m gathering parts for a new MTB build and on a whim bought a 165mm crank set. This was primarily off the back of a few test rides of the latest crop of Long Low and Slack bikes where I notices a significant increase in the frequency of pedal strikes, and quite hard pedal strikes compared to my current bike, so thinking 165mm cranks might help with that. But now wondering how it might affect overall gearing in the lowest gear and if I need to get a 2-tooth smaller chainring to compensate. Just interested in peoples experiences.

Thanks all

steel4real
    Free Member

Bit like you I dropped from 175 to 170 on both my trail bikes about a year or so ago to reduce pedal strikes. I noticed the difference at first but have got used to it.

Run 165 on the FR/DH bike and still have to pedal that around a bit don’t notice the cranks are shorter.

But I know what you mean about the gearing – I also think the 170’s may have contributed to the hip area pain I started getting last year as there is less movement but at my age who knows.

I haven’t really helped you have I – sorry.

gringo

I’m running 165mm cranks on my Dialled Alpine after getting fed up with pedal strikes. Originally had 175mm cranks, noticed no difference (apart from a lot less pedal strikes).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

165 here. If you are asking if I can tell they are 165s, then yes I can.

If you are asking if it matters, asides from the obvious less rock strikes, then you need to spin them more and out of the saddle they aren’t quite as punchy but it’s a worthwhile compromise for me.

Speeder

I run 165mm on all my MTBs because I’ve built them all up myself – my road bike has the 175s it came with. Much prefer the 165s and would go shorter if they were available – I have no idea why everything comes with 175s – any crank length calculator will tell you they’re too long for most people.

ahwiles
    Free Member

msWife is using 140mm cranks on her mtb, just sayin’…

(at 5’1″, they’re a better fit than 165’s)

karnali
    Free Member

can you get in way of 165mm doubles, I have 165 on all road bikes but 170 double slx on mtb as 165 were not available but I would like to go 165

ta

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you can get XT doubles in 165. CRc has them.

Speeder

And Middleburn do a 165 double – 2/3rds of my mtb cranks are Middleburns

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone running 165mm cranks on an mtb?’ is closed to new replies.