Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone run in a buff…
  • mikey74
    Free Member

…. in cold weather?It seems I have a mild case of asthma, brought on by the cold weather. How do you find running with a buff over the mouth and nose?

hels
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve tried it, but I imagine it would be impossible.

Why don’t you use the running machines at your local gym when it’s cold ?

scruff9252

I often start with a buff in cold weather. Tend to find after a few k I no longer need it over my mouth and gets pulled down round my kneck.

globalti
    Free Member

It might just be simple bronchitis due to inflammation of the airways caused by cold air. Have you tried Ibuprofen? It’s an anti-inflammatory and works just as well for bronchitis as it does for aches and pains.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I misread your title. Am disapointed.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Exercise induced asthma. Beg steal or borrow a blue inhaler off someone. Or do what sensible people would do and consult your doc.

globalti
    Free Member
    mikey74
    Free Member

Exercise induced asthma. Beg steal or borrow a blue inhaler off someone. Or do what sensible people would do and consult your doc.

I have, and did. I picked up an inhaler today. I don’t really want to start down that route, but if it’s what is needed then fine.

I often start with a buff in cold weather. Tend to find after a few k I no longer need it over my mouth and gets pulled down round my kneck.

That’s pretty much what I am thinking.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Ibuprufen will actually cause an attack if you have asthma, I cannot use it, even the gel makes my chest bad. It won’t kill you or anything, so if you try it and it helps then you probably don’t have asthma.

I also run using a buff, but rarely cover my mouth. I just make sure I have salbutomol with me and take a blast if I feel my breathing getting bad.

Also, salbutomol will help your breathing regardless if you have asthma or not. GPs have a high tendency to write patients off as having asthma when they don’t. Both my kids were diagnosed and given medication, but neither turned out to have asthma.

IHN

Yep.

Oh, a buff. I thought you said the buff.

No

matt_outandabout

I misread your title. Am disapointed.

piemonster

Only in very cold weather, tends to just ice up but it’s tolerable enough

surfer
    Free Member

As an Asthmatic I cant take any NSAID’s and as a competitive runner it is a PITA. I have used an inhaler daily for 40 years and cant run to the end of the road without using one.
    Having said that I have managed a reasonably good club “career” and only missed a small number of winter XC events over the last 30yrs due to my Asthma being difficult to control.
    Take 2 puffs of the Blue inhaler a minute apart immediately before running and you should find you can run fine*

*I am not a GP

Edit: what stinkingdylan said

molgrips
    Free Member

I have done but my balls flap about painfully from side to side.

Bregante

Occasionally in the middle of the night when I really need the loo.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s weird is that I can clearly remember the experience of running naked with balls flapping – but I cannot for the life of me remember or even work out where or when I would have done this…

Tallpaul

It might just be simple bronchitis due to inflammation of the airways caused by cold air. Have you tried Ibuprofen? It’s an anti-inflammatory and works just as well for bronchitis as it does for aches and pains.

Some spectacularly bad advice right there.

maccruiskeen

but I cannot for the life of me remember or even work out where or when I would have done this…

concussion?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdLMV01lmc[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…. in cold weather?It seems I have a mild case of asthma, brought on by the cold weather. How do you find running with a buff over the mouth and nose?

When I was commuting by bike, this:

I often start with a buff in cold weather. Tend to find after a few k the first hill I no longer need it over my mouth and gets pulled down round my kneck.

Even now I only wear it round my neck on the bike if it’s bloody cold – it really helps keep the heat in.

soobalias
    Free Member

run, walk, cycle, sit on the sofa – i seem to use one from november to march.

whats not to like.
    pull it up to save your lungs from the cold
    pull it down to breathe a little easier
    take it off and double it round your wrist

im currently riding in two, one for neck/mouth/nose/ears and one over the top of my head under my lid.

sssimon
    Free Member

same as most above, go out running with one over ears and mouth, run 1k it comes off onto neck usually by 5k it’s off the neck and shoved into pocket or up sleeve

My training buddy has asthma and finds it a great solution

MoreCashThanDash

Not a runner but I find riding with a Buff over my mouth and nose leaves me struggling to breathe. I have a deviated septum which means I tend to breathe through my mouth anyway at anything above walking pace, which might be a factor.

yosemitepaul

Not a ‘Buff’ but a merino wool neck tube. Same design different material. Was brilliant the other week when it was so cold. Covered my mouth, nose and tucked into my running top, there were no problems breathing and it made the air I inhaled warmer. Obviously it got very wet, and I’d worry that if it were seriously cold then it would freeze. but all in all no issues.

DickBarton

I have done so this week and think it has made a difference…not sucking in as much cold air and my cough has definitely improved…only covered my mouth though and any stubble meant it needed to keep being moved back over my mouth.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got asthma, never really found running in the cold a problem.

(coldest run was in Val d’isere, at something like -18, my ears hurt a bit, but my breathing was fine)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run in a buff…’ is closed to new replies.